Gravy's Cooking Thread

The Master

Bronze Squire
I learned this while I was on my beer brewing kick in the late 90s. Ever try to boil 5-6 gal of something? It literally takes hours to heat that up. So I got me a propane burner, kind of like one of those turkey frier things, but bigger and better. It could boil 5 gal of beer wart in under 5 min. 180,000 btu, compared to average 38,000 btu ranges.

This is why you cannot do proper Asian food in woks on regular ranges either. You are better off buying a dedicated propane burners made for woks. They cost like $100-$200 and well worth it if you do a ton of Asian stir frys.Thai Gas Burner with Stand, High BTU, Available at importFood.com
Yeah, the difference is insane. Restaurants don't stir reducing sauces, they just crank the burner to full and the boil is so vigorous it stirs it for you.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
G089YRz.png

I'm going to pretend that this is Soygen IRL

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Awww yiss. Waiting for my tiny 5" tortillas.

Gracias, madre.

Neph_sl

shitlord
So many great Dim Sum places in Flushing.

For anyone who is in the market for a thermapen, they are having a 15% off sitewide sale with coupon code 15OFFSITEWIDE:

Thermapen® Mk4 Thermometer from ThermoWorks
Thanks, would +1 you if I could. Been meaning to order a Thermapen since I asked a few months ago. Ended up getting the $30 Thermopop though as I just dropped $90 on an electric kettle last week. I figure I don't need to be -that- accurate nor have the temperature 2 seconds faster.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Thanks, would +1 you if I could. Been meaning to order a Thermapen since I asked a few months ago. Ended up getting the $30 Thermopop though as I just dropped $90 on an electric kettle last week. I figure I don't need to be -that- accurate nor have the temperature 2 seconds faster.
Yeah I bought a Javelin instant read a few years back. I can't imagine I'll ever need that faster one second the Thermapen offers.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
2 things:

1. someone gave me a freezer full of snow crab clusters (claws and legs). Recipes?

2. give me your best beans and rice recipes. My kids are doing a thing and want to make beans and rice once a week.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
2 things:

1. someone gave me a freezer full of snow crab clusters (claws and legs). Recipes?

2. give me your best beans and rice recipes. My kids are doing a thing and want to make beans and rice once a week.
I'll have my abuela call you and give you the black bean recipe.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Also, I have to eat low carb now. Wife's meds are fucking her up, dr says she's prediabetic, which I guess is a thing. So she was put on a low carb diet by the dr, so I pretty much have to. I'm not pleased but whatever. Need better recipes than "hey let's sear some chicken/steak/pork and eat that with a salad!"

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well what kind of carbohydrate restriction do you have? 20g a day? 60g? 100g?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
as a fyi, a pure protein bar has 17g of carbs to 20g of protein. And pure protein has about the lowest carbs i've seen in bar form.

steaks and leafy veggies! i doubt you're able to use sauces and such huh? cuz of the sugar content. Some flavored oils and vinegar/soy is about all i've been using.
81G75iOxWeL._SY679_.jpg