lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Deliciousness on a plate:

AQjn3lf.jpg

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Thank you for this...I have spent quite a bit of time this weekend reading studies...some were very well performed, some with results that may or may not have been biased due to a monetary relationship caused me a bit more to be wary.
I am very much interested in the neurological implications. I am going to a conference tomorrow (Aging and Developmental Disabilities) and will now seek out the presenters from the medical tracks. (The study by Carl Stafstrom and Jong Rho on the KD as a treatment paradigm for diverse neurological disorders...frontiers in pharmacology 2012) was most intriguing and I will be pointing a family with whom I work, to read it. Their child has been on every other seizure protocol there is including having a VNS...seizures still occur daily.

I don't know how easily, I personally could adhere to 20 g a day, but I could do 40! I would consult with my dr. for baseline labs to make certain that I didn't have any potential complicating factors.

Again, thanks.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Thank you for this...I have spent quite a bit of time this weekend reading studies...some were very well performed, some with results that may or may not have been biased due to a monetary relationship caused me a bit more to be wary.
I am very much interested in the neurological implications. I am going to a conference tomorrow (Aging and Developmental Disabilities) and will now seek out the presenters from the medical tracks. (The study by Carl Stafstrom and Jong Rho on the KD as a treatment paradigm for diverse neurological disorders...frontiers in pharmacology 2012) was most intriguing and I will be pointing a family with whom I work, to read it. Their child has been on every other seizure protocol there is including having a VNS...seizures still occur daily.

I don't know how easily, I personally could adhere to 20 g a day, but I could do 40! I would consult with my dr. for baseline labs to make certain that I didn't have any potential complicating factors.

Again, thanks.
It makes eating out hard, but you'd be surprised how low you can keep your net carbs. It involves a lot of ingredients you don't normally use if you want to make sweets and etc., but fat has so much flavor you can do some amazing things. Check out the site I linked for Chaos,Ruling the Keto Diet Getting in Shape - Guides | Recipes | Tips, and he uses a lot of odd things. I don't recommend all his recipes (his frosting are NOT smooth and creamy the way they should be), but you can still have a lot of variety.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have never had so much energy in my life as when I was on a ketogenic diet. I did it for nearly an entire year, but my love of beer and sandwiches has stopped me from making it a permanent style of eating.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
To me breakfast is one of the easiest times to go low carb because eggs. A sausage patty with a poached egg on top is one of the world's finest breakfasts. You can even put hollandaise on it without adding any carbs. Of course it's even better with an english muffin or a piece of toast under it, but it is still a damn fine breakfast that I would be happy to eat every day. I don't know what kind of stupid asshole decided that eggs benedict had Canadian bacon in it, it's 100x better with sausage. Ditto for the egg mcmuffin of course.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I got so sick of eggs the first time I did Atkins hardcore. Even just the thought of them made me gag near the end.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've always been a breakfast on the go type. Breakfast sandwiches, breakfast bars, english muffins, that type of thing. I have no earthly idea what to do now. I read about some little baked egg cups wrapped in bacon, I may do that for a start. And that website The Master put up has some "pancakes" made from almond flour that look legit, could do a little sandwich with those. I thought about doing the bulletproof coffee but ugh, no.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If you got sick of eggs you were doing them wrong. There's a million ways to cook eggs. The non hard boiled variety are not that portable though sadly. Maybe you are just going to have to get up 15 minutes earlier.

Khane

If you got sick of eggs you were doing them wrong. There's a million ways to cook eggs. The non hard boiled variety are not that portable though sadly. Maybe you are just going to have to get up 15 minutes earlier.
I was a poor college student with no real cooking skills. So yea, eating eggs either scrambled, hard boiled or fried almost every day for breakfast for 3 months got real old real fast. I then got over the "must eat breakfasty foods at breakfast" nonsense and started eating leftovers from dinner the night before and life got much better.

I also don't think you can do enough with eggs to not get sick of them when eating them every single day for breakfast. I can do a few weeks of the same thing dressed up a little differently over and over and over again no problem. But 3 months was not doable for me.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Well if you mean *just* eggs you may be right but when you add in meat, cheese, and vegetables the possibilities get pretty endless. I guess I think of low carb differently than you guys. When I do low carb I just cut out bread, potatoes, rice, and sweets, eat all the vegetables I want, and try to keep fruit down to a serving or two a day. I've never done it as hardcore as what you guys are talking about.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Low carb tortillas are your friend on the Keto diet. I remember the first two weeks were fucking brutal but after that all was well in the world, then on Sunday I would cheat by getting a 3 piece popeye's spicy chicken tender snack pack. Lost a lot of weight and then fell of the wagon when I had to travel for 3 months straight.

Khane

Anyone ever dry brined chicken? I have a bunch of chicken legs I want to dry brine (or even just let air dry in the fridge) so I can get a really crispy skin but am not sure how long to let it sit in the fridge.

Khane

Dry brine? So...cured?
You lightly salt the chicken and leave it in the fridge for 1-3 days loosely covered for a whole roaster. Quite a bit different than curing.

Just wondering if anyone has done it for just legs and how long they do it for.

The Master

Bronze Squire
You lightly salt the chicken and leave it in the fridge for 1-3 days loosely covered for a whole roaster. Quite a bit different than curing.

I usually just do it for a day, there isn't a super noticeable difference past that imo.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

inside and out? looks like it, i might try it out tomorrow.