Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Marinating a skirt steak right now in Chipotle, Adobo, Lime juice, paprika, and garlic. Off the mother fucking chain.
Hmmm, maybe I'll do that marinade this weekend to switch it up. You got a recipe or you just wing it?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Chipotles packed in Adobo are one of the greatest things on earth.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just wing it. A ton of Adobo spice, enough paprika to turn it red when I stir it together, 2 limes (for 3 lbs of skirt steak) juiced, 5 or 6 Chipotle depending on your preference and some Adobo sauce from the can. Stir that up with some olive oil and marinate for a day or so. Probably doesn't need that long.

And yes, high heat!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
And yes, high heat!
EkfM5xQ.gif

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Food is srs bizness.

Skirt steak is... good for certain types of dishes. Usually those with shitloads of seasoning or fajita/carne asada. It's pretty good with salt/pepper/garlic, but you aren't approaching other cut levels in what you end up with for the most part.
You are doing your skirt steak wrong sir.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you like spicy food I highly recommend the Chili Tepin. It's the dried version of a pepper that grows like weeds In Guatemala. It's got an intense roasty heat but doesn't linger forever. They pack a punch.

shopping

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Enlighten me~

What is your preferred way to cook skirt?
Grilled medium rare(closer to rare) and cut against the grain. It's got awesome flavor and when sliced properly it's very tender and easy to eat. Not sure how it's good for 'certain types of dishes'. It's great all on its own. Honestly, I wish more peopledidn'tlike it, as its price has skyrocketed in the last couple years.

My favorite cut is probably bone-in ribeye, but skirt steak has been one of my favorites for a while.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Sear it over very high heat, as hot as you can manage. Cook it medium rare, let it rest, and then slice it thin across the grain. Make it this way it's as good as any steak IMO.

QtgL2H4.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Grilled medium rare(closer to rare) and cut against the grain. It's got awesome flavor and when sliced properly it's very tender and easy to eat. Not sure how it's good for 'certain types of dishes'. It's great all on its own. Honestly, I wish more peopledidn'tlike it, as its price has skyrocketed in the last couple years.

My favorite cut is probably bone-in ribeye, but skirt steak has been one of my favorites for a while.
Primarily texture and presentation is what I was referring to regarding certain dishes. It specifically lends itself better to certain dishes than others, ie fajitas or other thin sliced against the grain style entrees vs. as a primary solo presentation. Admittedly I haven't gone out of my way to order it in recent years, and I only worked with it professionally a little over a decade ago. But it was definitely regulated to fajita meat or incorporated into a dish and never served on its own as if it were a more traditional cut, at least in my experience. You learn something knew every day, I guess hah.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it hasn't been too common in restaurants and such just because it's an unusual presentation and not what people think of when they order a steak. It's fucking great though, and unfortunately the word is out on it so it's not cheap anymore.

Another thing I almost never see in Montana supermarkets is tri-tip. In California that shit was everywhere. There is only one tri-tip per cow so I guess somebody decided that California gets them all? Down there most restaurants have tri-tip on their menu, but in the rest of the country most people don't even seem to know what it is. I had some at a banquet last week and they had smoked it like it's fucking brisket. Very disappointing. Definitely one of the things I miss from California.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, it hasn't been too common in restaurants and such just because it's an unusual presentation and not what people think of when they order a steak. It's fucking great though, and unfortunately the word is out on it so it's not cheap anymore.

Another thing I almost never see in Montana supermarkets is tri-tip. In California that shit was everywhere. There is only one tri-tip per cow so I guess somebody decided that California gets them all? Down there most restaurants have tri-tip on their menu, but in the rest of the country most people don't even seem to know what it is. I had some at a banquet last week and they had smoked it like it's fucking brisket. Very disappointing. Definitely one of the things I miss from California.
For some reason it is mostly a SoCal thing. Costco always has it but you will have a hard time finding it other places. It can be labeled as Newport Steaks or Bottom Sirloin if they cut it and they end up grinding the odd shaped pieces for ground sirloin.

I don't know about Montana but many grocers are catching on that they can charge more for the Tri Tip then they were for the other labeled cuts. It's a very slow process to change shit in the grocery industry until it's proven they can make more money.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole

I could see it being on the menu as a primary entree (talking about skirt again~) on a "slaughterhouse" style menu where they basically just offer you a whole cow but all sliced up for various prices. But yeah, I would agree that restaurant wise it isn't common at all, at least not in Cali. In a decade I honestly don't think I've seen it anywhere aside from the uses I mentioned, and in the last 8 years of working 4-5 diamond places I haven't seen it even then.

I may have to give it a try this coming weekend and see how it fairs vs. my usual ribeye/NY style steak that I roll with when I'm feeling... steaky. Which as a poultry/fish guy in general, isn't all that often =| I did get some 4lb sword filets that I plan on grilling Friday (I live near the water in SoCal, and I abuse the shit out of my former restaurant cohorts/companies =|) and I'm already salivating at making a dill aioli for them with a side of lightly grilled asparagus. Skirt might round out my Sunday pretty well.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, my love of skirt steak is all from preparing it myself. I don't think I've ever had it at a restaurant, unless it was prepared like you mentioned(fajitas, etc). Being in south FL, I also veer toward fish and seafood since so much fresh stuff is available here.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Flank steak was on the menu at a local restaurant here for a while and I had it once and it was great. They even claimed to cook it directly on hot coals. They took it off the menu though and I haven't really seen it anywhere else.