Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Fresh pineapple is amazing on pizza. There is nothing worse than than pale waterlogged pineapple out of a can, whether it is on pizza or not.

Grimson_sl

shitlord
Now that's a smoker, friend brought one of those home from Texas after he was down that way helping with Katrina aftermath.
Best thing he ever bought. Does take up a lot of space though )

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just sell one of your kids, should be about an even trade.

Seriously, that thing is probably 5 digits new.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
I got a hell of a deal for it on Craigslist, $2,000. The original owner stored this bad boy in the garage for the past four years so it has been well maintained. He also threw in the the propane bottle for the burner as well. The backside has some storage area for wood as well.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Can I come over when you use it?

biggrin.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Thought I would share my new cooking toy:

rrr_img_21164.jpg
Sweet. Is the propane for the burner only? It looks like you could put charcoal in the two grills if you want to grill and wood in the firebox on the side if you want to smoke? I badly want to build something like this one day. I usually smoke stuff in my big green egg but after using propane and electric smokers with my brother it sure is nice to be able to just set your temperature and have it stay correct for the duration of the cook.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
The propane is for the burner only. That is the one thing I wanted was a propane gas assist for the firebox but I can always add this later for a nominal cost. There is a damper that separates the vertical from the horizontal sides. I will be grilling in the firebox side ( there is a grate inside ), when I want to grill.

I agree on the electric and propane but man is it fun to tend the fire and there is something on how things taste coming out of a stick burner.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I looks forward to the day that I have a real smoker. Mine is so ghetto and I still enjoy using it. Post some pics so I can enjoy it vicariously through you.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Cooked with Leeks for the first time, and I enjoyed them. This was the recipe that I used as a side dish for a roasted chicken.

Sauteed Carrots and Leeks
Directions

Combine leeks, carrots, chicken broth, butter, sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper in a skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes. Cook and stir mixture until leeks and carrots are lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.

2 leeks, finely chopped
1 tablespoon white sugar

4 carrots, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Roast Poussin

Saw Jamie oliver'sroast poussinepisode, was inspired to do my own. replaced bacon with carrots, and used a dutch oven instead of a tray. served with peas.

rrr_img_22135.jpg
rrr_img_22136.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I would love to get a temperature controlled smoker, or even build myself one one day. I always wanted to make my own smoked kielbasa, but that requires cold smoking and drying.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
No kidding. Who posts that without think it requires some kind of explanation.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Replacing bacon with carrots is like replacing sex with chickenpox.

That said, I'm doing a beer-can chicken tomorrow night on my grill. Ah, summer.

(everyone knows the deliciousness that is beer-can chicken, right? Here's the last one I made
smile.png

07140002_m.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I made beer battered onion rings with leeks once. They were pretty good although obviously quite a bit different from regular onion rings.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Should have said "did not have bacon handy". It wasn't a deliberate replacement. jeez people, relax.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Beer can chicken update: effing delicious. Served with a salad of young greens with craisins, home made croutons, and goat cheese. Mild apple vinaigrette to top if you're in the mood.