Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always wanted to make this. Tell people who don't like pork that its just beef!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I was looking for some kind of "wow I've never had that before!" thing

This could easily be made in a slow cooker. I made it a couple weeks ago and it was one of the best things I've ever cooked. Couldn't find king trumpet mushrooms so I just used carrots. Put it on top of horseradish mashed potatoes. Already looking forward to cooking it again.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks! Braised beef was one of the 3 recipes I had picked out to try next time. I haven't seen miso braised beef before.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Thanks! Braised beef was one of the 3 recipes I had picked out to try next time. I haven't seen miso braised beef before.
miso should be easy enough to find if you don't have it, my kroger sells it
d7e94dfa14b93defe5dddd3c53104122.png

it's usually in a clear 14oz square container and only like 5bucks when you usually just need a tbs max for any recipe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

anyone use this type of paring knife? these are the only 2 brands i see on amazon, remember when i worked in kitchens they would buy them by the dozens, don't remember the brand or it they were stainless or not.
1619799663846.png

Screenshot_20210430_123944.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

first eastern European / Slavic / Russian cooking channel that I've seen that a) treats it seriously, b) is targeting the English language audience. He doesn't make a big point of where the stuff comes from but every once in a while there'll be a dish that is whacked out by our standards (breaking a cream sauce on purpose comes to mind) and you'll get glimpses of the Russian style mayo/catsup packs and or other similar packaging.
WRYYYYY

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nothing wrong with MSG. it's in everything and it's not any worse than every other ingredient. It adds flavor, yo.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Attempted al pastor. Came out pretty good but I might try to fake a rotisserie with skewers and the broiler next time instead of grilling it. Should also cut it much thinner before cooking. Flavor is great though.

al pastor tacos.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Attempted al pastor. Came out pretty good but I might try to fake a rotisserie with skewers and the broiler next time instead of grilling it. Should also cut it much thinner before cooking. Flavor is great though.

View attachment 352421

That looks fantastic. I would love that for dinner!

I made a flatbread, spread with hummus, then covered with smoked salmon, capers, spinach, and mozzarella balls. It was surprisingly good and filling.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 352421

Looks great, you may want to check out vertical spits for the oven. I use one when doing it via indirect heat on the ceramic and it works really well. I've done a horizontal version on a normal rotisserie over open coals and didn't notice too much of a difference in flavor but you get much crispier edges on the horizontal and can trim off a portion and keep it going to recrisp up.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tried to do Ruth Chris's tomatoes, didn't really pan out. Everything else was perfection
20210506_201408.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
They're cut like that, sprinkled with sugar and roasted. Better than you'd think