Gravy's Cooking Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, All purpose all the way, and even then which brand of AP you use can make a difference. Off the top of my head I think pillsbury has one of the lowest proteins of all the AP brands. The longer you mix the ingredients will also determine the amount of gluten.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm going through an oyster phase this summer.

Raw. A squeeze of lemon or a drip of cocktail sauce.

Big glass of booze.

1. Heat the grill to med-high.
  2. Melt butter with garlic and pepper in a large skillet.
  3. Mix Parmesan and Romano cheeses in a small bowl.
  4. Spoon some of the melted butter mixture onto each oyster.
  5. Place oysters on the grill.
  6. Add a pinch of the combined cheese to each oyster, add a pinch of parsley.
  7. Grill oysters until they are hot, bubbly and puffed, about 8 minutes.
Play around with the cheeses to your liking, personally I like Parmesan and Asiago

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
I'd like to request some good curry recipes. Indian, Thai, whatever is your favorite

My contribution to thread below, which went over well with a small group.
Dukkah mix takes the most time, I made mine the day before doing the rest.
Simple but everything compliments each other.

Roasted Carrot Soup With Dukkah Spice And Yogurt
Ingredients
SERVINGS: 4-6
  • 1/2 cup unsalted, shelled raw natural pistachios
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
  • 2 pounds carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 quart vegetable broth
  • Low-fat plain Greek yogurt

Preparation
PREP: 20 MINTOTAL: 40 MIN
  • Toast pistachios in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a small plate and let cool. Add sesame seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and peppercorns to same skillet. Toast, stirring often, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Transfer spices to plate with nuts and let cool. Transfer nut and spice mixture and 1 teaspoon salt to a food processor or a mortar and pestle and coarsely grind. DO AHEAD Dukkah spice blend can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
  • Preheat oven to 425°. Place the carrots on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with melted butter, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast until the carrots are tender and just beginning to brown, about 25 minutes. Let the carrots cool slightly.
  • Transfer the carrot mixture to a blender. Add the vegetable broth. Blend mixture until soup is very smooth, 1-2 minutes. Pour the soup into a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add water by 1/4-cupfuls to soup for a thinner consistency, if desired. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Divide hot soup among bowls. Spoon a dollop of yogurt into center of each. Sprinkle with dukkah.
Recipe taken from here Roasted Carrot Soup with Dukkah Spice and Yogurt Recipe - Bon Appétit

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
1H1TCFe

Brought this home from Alaska last week. Anybody got any cool things to do with salmon and halibut? Going to make some halibut fish and chips next weekend.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Got a French Press today.

Pretentious as fuck. But goddamn it makes a great fucking cup of coffee.

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ugh... I hate myself.

I like my V60 or Chemex more than the french presses I've used. On the subject of coffee nerdery, what's a good burr grinder to buy? Mine shit the bed and I'm stuck using a blade/spice grinder that's about to give up the ghost.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've been recommending these chinese Hario clones, i have 2, work as great as my Harios for espresso or larger grinds
manual grinder

of course are you ask for electric? either way, you should have one around anyway for travel or... your situation where one breaks down.

is the new grinder for just pour over?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've been recommending these chinese Hario clones, i have 2, work as great as my Harios for espresso or larger grinds
manual grinder

of course are you ask for electric? either way, you should have one around anyway for travel or... your situation where one breaks down.

is the new grinder for just pour over?
I'll grab one of those for travel, but the travel one will likely be for pourover or aeropress (which I also need to get). I was looking for electric, and yes pour-over will be the only thing it's used for. I don't think I'll get a drip or press any time soon.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
These new grinders were also made to fit inside an aeropress for travel, btw

For electric grinder and pour over, just get the capresso infinity

it's not espresso fine,(like a crazy expensive barataz) but do you don't need that, it's a good burr grinder, i'm pretty sure burrs start out at this price and you know they just goto like sky high.

It's adjustable enough for you to "dial in" the coffee grind of your choice.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So since someone asked for pictures of mah cookies:

gAsfFudb.jpg

Look at that thick chewy goodness

And as a bonus:

asOT0Omb.jpg

Peanut butter cookies. The secret to a good peanut butter cookie - Extra salt and dry roasted salted peanuts chopped in a food processor. They really make the peanut flavor pop.

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 sticks butter
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup extra chunky peanut butter
1 cup dry roasted salted peanuts (15 pulses in food processor)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla

Cream butter and sugars together, then peanut butter till combined, then eggs and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients and mix till blended, then add in the dry roasted peanuts. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes - let set on cookie sheets for 10 minutes or so, than remove to cool.
gAsfFud

• 1Like
Reading through here, and based on my travels in the US I think you guys have a pretty bad rap when it comes to food... People only ever think of American food as burgers and fast food stuff. It's a shame really; some of the best food I've had has been from some farm to table places in New England, and your beer (well, your craft beer) is mostly excellent. As an Englishman, I guess I'm in the same boat - people hate on British food as they've never actually had real British food. We have amazing fish, definitely the best game I've ever tasted, and our cheese is actually brills if you avoid the supermarket crap.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Reading through here, and based on my travels in the US I think you guys have a pretty bad rap when it comes to food... People only ever think of American food as burgers and fast food stuff. It's a shame really; some of the best food I've had has been from some farm to table places in New England, and your beer (well, your craft beer) is mostly excellent. As an Englishman, I guess I'm in the same boat - people hate on British food as they've never actually had real British food. We have amazing fish, definitely the best game I've ever tasted, and our cheese is actually brills if you avoid the supermarket crap.

English food is known worldwide as the crap of crap, unless it's good Fish N' Chips.

Irony: Most famous celebrity chef is British
gordon-ramsay-6.jpg

Annoyingly you're right, British food is known to be awful the world over. Even more annoyingly, it's true of many establishments... I don't really know how that's become the case though considering the amazing produce we have on offer. Luckily, there's been a bit of a resurgence recently in really good quality, locally grown food. It's going to take many years to change the face of British cuisine, but at least we're on the right path now. Of course, the same as anywhere, you can get a bucket of shite at a terrible cafe for cheap, but that shouldn't really count. If you want really good English food, unfortunately you have to pay through your arse for it. We charge more than £18 for our cheapest main dish (entre I think you guys call thedo, and that's the vegetarian option (It's some local smoked/roasted goats cheese malarkey).

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
My sisters and I have been making a commitment to have at least one family gathering a month with our parents. Of course, food is involved. Today is August Thanksgiving. I am in charge of salad and dessert. Salad is simple...spring greens, baby spinach, red grapes, strawberries, crumbled bacon and pecans in a lightly sweetened (for my mom) vinaigrette. Dessert is brownies with ganache-style frosting, "regular" pumpkin pie, crustless pumpkin pie using stevia instead of sugar and coconut cream pie. I am going to try using coconut milk in the base to pump up the flavor. Coconut pie is my mom's favorite and I like to make her happy.

EDIT... change of plans...as the electric element in my oven just exploded...thank Gravy the brownies were done and out...and my house did not catch fire....having to take pie ingredients to my sister's home to bake, cuts out the coconut. Maybe I will make that next weekend.

Last edited: