Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
good lord a dozen eggs is now 5.49, had to hop skip over to the aldi to buy a dozen for 4.49, and they even had a sign apologizing for the price hike

0116231959.jpg

i made extra cutlets cuz i didn't wanna waste the egg!!!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
also yesterday i used the vertical charcoal smoker, half a bag? (idk a whole bag poured into a 5gallon bucket and i used half the bucket) for 8hrs at 225 (i couldn't get it any higher), then i put it in the oven for another 8 at 225 and rested inside it, wow so far my juiciest brisket, kinda put the pellet smoker to shame.

i say juicy b/c usually the round is nice but the flat is dryer than i would like, but w/ the vertical smoker it was all good.

kept everything else the same, still used butcher paper, mustard/pepper/lawrys

i do have mod this vertical smoker, the smoke just flys out of every orifice!

originally i bought this smoker just for peking duck, lulz still haven't defrosted the duck yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
At least you can get black label Valentina. Fucking Walmart downgraded to yellow label only here.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
At least you can get black label Valentina. Fucking Walmart downgraded to yellow label only here.
oh i got like 2 aisles of mexican shit, i don't even start shopping until like aisle 7 cuz theres mexican stuff then vietconger, then thai, my usual aisles are chinese/jap/korean

i've been using this for mexican flavors
c9b69f2ebe8ec30bb3302907fe235e53.png

course i got it for 8bucks before biden.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Lanx Lanx

Was trying to collect beef tallow from ground beef we make for the dog, but it would get moldy in the fridge. Wasn't sure if it wasn't pure enough and still had too much juices in it or just what it do. No problems with bacon fat in counter drip cup for a month or so until full and then heated and strained into mason jars for the fridge. That beef tallow got moldy twice though. What's your method?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Get some beef fat, maybe even free from a butcher shop. Put it in the crock pot on low until it melts into clear liquid. Run that through one of those gold reusable coffee filter baskets and put it in a jar. I'm guessing melting it out of hamburger gets too much meat juice and other shit besides fat. Finished product should be pretty white and not smell like much of anything.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx

Was trying to collect beef tallow from ground beef we make for the dog, but it would get moldy in the fridge. Wasn't sure if it wasn't pure enough and still had too much juices in it or just what it do. No problems with bacon fat in counter drip cup for a month or so until full and then heated and strained into mason jars for the fridge. That beef tallow got moldy twice though. What's your method?
i read the number 1 issue w/ grease/tallow is food particles (bits) (these will make it go rancid) so i just used a coffee filter (most places say just use a mesh filter and if you want, use cheesecloth after), even tho it was just "fat" i didn't want to take a chance i mean it's been a while but after i strained it, it didn't look "clean"

and the two jars are still white (i just use it for fries)

these are the only two jars i've made, like BrutulTM BrutulTM said it's just white and don't smell, i'm guessing thats why crisco looks the way it looks cuz it was probably made to replace tallow.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you can dry filter or wet filter tallow/lard/Schmaltz/wax. Dry filtering is through a filter paper or the like. Wet filtering is boiling with water. Depending on how gunked up your starting fat is, it may take 2 or 3 changes of water. but all the fat rises to the top; all the non-fats are water soluable or at worst will stratify into a scrapable layer.

No particular details on the boiling, when the fat's all melted and its a good high heat boil, the steam will keep the fat mixing and if the water gets too nasty, use a fat separator and pour most of the water out and replace, or just throw it in the fridge to solidify and separate out your disk from the junk

• 3Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My method is heat and strain through a fine mesh and paper filter. Has worked great for fry oils and bacon grease. For tallow might have to try boiling and a fat separator. It looked pretty clear and all white with no liquid once cooled, but still went bad. Can't even remember why I was saving it, so shrug I guess.

In more fun projects I bought an ice cream maker (with compressor which is nice). Have done a vanilla with chopped Andes mints and a cookies n cream. Good stuff. Gonna try a Dr Pepper ice cream next and a pineapple gelato. Someone have have my stuff when I die from the Beetus.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm having fun with lazy ice-cream. No machine needed, texture still comes out pretty good.

equal parts heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and liquidy flavoring (been using fruit pulp/puree)

whip whipping cream to stiff peaks.
fold in rest of stuff.
Whip again to fully combine and try to get some stiffness back.
Pour into final containers and freeze.

IDK how it would do with powdery (cookie crumbs or cocoa, for example) flavoring, may be fine, may need that mixed into a paste.

• 3Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I never liked homemade ice cream.

My family probably didn't do it 'right'. Texture was hard and there were always some ice crystals in it. Not enough fat? I dunno.

Growing up I was mystified that people would talk about homemade ice cream as if it was some sort of miraculous concoction. I always figured it was jsut a throwback to a time when you couldn't really buy it in a store so you just made do.

It was better than the cheapest store ice cream that tastes gritty with sugar. But not sure that's really saying much.