Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Today I cooked a pork shoulder, bone in. Made a paste of heavy grain mustard, fish sauce, capers, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper. Coated the shoulder, left it in the fridge for about 12 hours. Brought it to room temperature, then put it in at 425 for 30 minutes, then 225 for 8 hours, and ended with 425 for 15 minutes.

Had a delicious bark. Really good. And it was absolutely moist all the way through. The nice thing about cooking it this way is that you can eat it as pork steaks sliced as thick as you like, or you can shred it and put it on sandwiches. Amazing leftovers. Served it with home made blooming onions, sauteed asparagus, fresh made bread, spinach salad, and drunken cranberries.

Ended with a Tiramisu I made earlier.

Feeling fat and happy.

• 6Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Today I cooked a pork shoulder, bone in. Made a paste of heavy grain mustard, fish sauce, capers, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper. Coated the shoulder, left it in the fridge for about 12 hours. Brought it to room temperature, then put it in at 425 for 30 minutes, then 225 for 8 hours, and ended with 425 for 15 minutes.

Had a delicious bark. Really good. And it was absolutely moist all the way through. The nice thing about cooking it this way is that you can eat it as pork steaks sliced as thick as you like, or you can shred it and put it on sandwiches. Amazing leftovers. Served it with home made blooming onions, sauteed asparagus, fresh made bread, spinach salad, and drunken cranberries.

Ended with a Tiramisu I made earlier.

Feeling fat and happy.

Yeah I can do a shoulder just fine but shoulder steaks always end up tasting like the cheap ass cuts they are. Maybe I'll try that idea of cutting the steaks after cooking the shoulder.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx any recommendations for a good cooking sake that won't break the bank? No asian grocers near me, so have to go the Amazon route.
Your local wine and liquors store will have sake, it wont be smooth and probably is a big bottle, but thats ok b/c its not like you use extra virgin olive oil for cooking. They will probably have gekkeikan, the Kikkoman(ubiquitous) of the sakes it comes in a big dark bottle.

The stores ive been to rarely have sapporo or soju but they all always have some sort of sake

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The stores ive been to rarely have sapporo or soju but they all always have some sort of sake

I never went to SK when I was active duty, but all the guys who had been over there would talk about soju forming a thin layer of formaldehyde if you let it sit.

...or a not-so-thin layer, depending on who is telling the story.

I'm pretty sure it's bullshit, just one of those stories that becomes an ingrained shared cultural experience within the US military. But at the same time I can't say that there wasn't a periodof history where a lot of cheap soju had excessive formaldehyde in it, either. The rice prohibition is an interesting read.

We had an unopened bottle of soju in our barracks room for months that someone supposedly brought back with them. Never saw anything separate out. Not sure where it went, either...someone probably grabbed it on one of the daily/weekly benders we used to have.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Husband got me a ramen cooking guide and some accoutrement for Christmas. Made my own shoyu tare today, some soft boiled eggs and some meatballs I had laying around and put some bowls together topped with some black garlic oil. Presentation needs some work, but goddamn this is so much better than me just throwing shit and noodles in some chicken broth and calling it a day.

3F9EA5DB-7D80-4122-9DD6-932AAA2BD568.jpeg

• 9Like
  • 4Quality Calories
Reactions: 12 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Husband got me a ramen cooking guide and some accoutrement for Christmas. Made my own shoyu tare today, some soft boiled eggs and some meatballs I had laying around and put some bowls together topped with some black garlic oil. Presentation needs some work, but goddamn this is so much better than me just throwing shit and noodles in some chicken broth and calling it a day.

View attachment 451123
what really changed it up for me was using proper non fructose mirin, for the ramen eggs. it didnt smell as funny, dont know how best to wxplain it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nice, I was hoping to try and learn that too to top the ramen with. How did it turn out and any particular recipe you used?
Great, easy too. Pretty much learn all my japanese cooking from this site.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Great, easy too. Pretty much learn all my japanese cooking from this site.

yea i second her, shes the one i settled on as japanese reference i have vol 1 and 2, vol 3 is kinda worthless imo since its only new years food and imo jap new years food is actually not good and is probably only good for jap-american who has nostalgia

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nice, I was hoping to try and learn that too to top the ramen with. How did it turn out and any particular recipe you used?
I will add here that I hate deep frying stuff in general. Messy and annoying. The only way I tolerate doing it is by using an 8 inch iron skillet so I can use as little oil as possible. Then just flip it as needed. As opposed to having a deep fryer. However, you can do 4 katsus for a group in like 15 minutes even doing it this way.

I bought a deep fryer, hated it, got rid of it lol.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users