Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Early September I have half a beef coming from neighbor that I'm paying $6/lb for that I need to give the butcher a cut sheet for.
Check your butcher's website for a cut sheet template. and dont forget that a side of beef should come with a lot of bones.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Check your butcher's website for a cut sheet template. and dont forget that a side of beef should come with a lot of bones.
Website? This is rural Oklahoma son.

Everyone still gives directions to everything unasked for like phone maps don't exist.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of buying smth like this (many options here in Austin area / Texas in general obviously). But have any of you bought a beef half or quarter? I was thinking of just doing the half but will start with the quarter and see how far it gets us.

We cook 99% of meals at home. The only exceptions being sushi and hot chicken that we don't make at home.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thinking of buying smth like this (many options here in Austin area / Texas in general obviously). But have any of you bought a beef half or quarter? I was thinking of just doing the half but will start with the quarter and see how far it gets us.

We cook 99% of meals at home. The only exceptions being sushi and hot chicken that we don't make at home.

Actually kind of annoys the piss out of me when butchers call their bundles sides or quarters. The bundle you linked is 70 pounds, an actual beef quarter will yield 100-150 pounds.

12 bucks a pound is not a bad price for a steak-heavy bundle like that one. Freezer bundles are pretty much the best deal you can get if you don't want to do your own cutting.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Actually kind of annoys the piss out of me when butchers call their bundles sides or quarters. The bundle you linked is 70 pounds, an actual beef quarter will yield 100-150 pounds.

12 bucks a pound is not a bad price for a steak-heavy bundle like that one. Freezer bundles are pretty much the best deal you can get if you don't want to do your own cutting.
Yeah that's fine though. I don't want a literal beef quarter and just the parts that go with it. Bundle is fine by me.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
ask because I have a different mindset when it comes to grinding and putting into burger meat or sausage, vs using weird cuts to have something nice and tasty on the grill.
We've sold beef to people who wanted everything ground, including their good steaks. I couldn't deal with that so we traded them ground beef for rib eyes and tenderloins pound for pound. People are strange.

The bundle you linked is 70 pounds, an actual beef quarter will yield 100-150 pounds.

Depends on what animal you bought. There's a pretty wide range of size that a beef animal can be. If you start with a 1500 lb steer then you might get over 100 lbs of beef from a quarter but that's pretty high end and almost certainly grain fed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
wanted everything ground, including their good steaks
giphy.gif

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Half a cow, 220-250lbs roughly. Due to flat cost more steaks than just turning it all to burger I imagine ideal. But I'm a basic bitch cook, basically better than folks that cook out of their microwave or toaster by that's about it.

They'll cut it up into whatever and vacuum seal it all
theres no wrong way dude, imo figure out which way you want to cook
sous vide
grill
oven broil

you don't even have use the steaks as "steak", ive bought ribeyes and pre-shave/slice em and vacuum seal it cuz i just prefer to have gyudon instead.
7e397c20f04d3edddf0bbfd035a94063.png

(and guess what, i can turn around and use the same pack for cheese steak if i wanted too)

and i'll vacu-pak the cheaper chuck steaks for "steak" cuz i do sous vide and i don't mind just popping it in there for 8hrs and letting it do all the work.

pick a method and we'll all chime in w/ ways to help from the caveman way of checking steak

to just saying, get a thermopro
35544fbfffbdca1c695497bb0cf9bf34.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
theres no wrong way dude, imo figure out which way you want to cook
sous vide
grill
oven broil

you don't even have use the steaks as "steak", ive bought ribeyes and pre-shave/slice em and vacuum seal it cuz i just prefer to have gyudon instead.
7e397c20f04d3edddf0bbfd035a94063.png

(and guess what, i can turn around and use the same pack for cheese steak if i wanted too)

and i'll vacu-pak the cheaper chuck steaks for "steak" cuz i do sous vide and i don't mind just popping it in there for 8hrs and letting it do all the work.

pick a method and we'll all chime in w/ ways to help from the caveman way of checking steak

to just saying, get a thermopro
35544fbfffbdca1c695497bb0cf9bf34.png
Simplest and fastest usually. These days luckily my wife cooks more though also is kinda mostly one skillet type stuff. Though she makes decent Jop chi (spelling)

Piece of shit stove in this house I almost doubt `it can broil, though I have a decently strong toaster over, instapot, air fryer in the mail, and my favorite anything stovetop.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

I've often been unhappy with burgers prepared by others at cookouts and only moderately happy when I did them myself. So a few years back I set out to improve my process. Keeping in mind I have a decent talent for cooking but still prefer to balance out cheap and easy.

I buy loose ground beef from a local market that has decent quality and still grinds in house. No tight packed chubs or compressed containers. It made the biggest difference overall.

I then take a large baking sheet and very softly spread the meat, break up the few bits if compacted (sometimes remove those clumps for other purposes), season it, then very softly toss with hands. Then season some more, but don't toss again as it can lead to too much handling.

To form, I very gently push together disks on the sheet pan. No picking them up. No smacking them into patties. Handling as lightly and as little as possible. Just take as flat a layer of ground beef and then gently push them into disks in place on the sheet pan.

By now the meat will be warmed a bit and clingy, which is good to help the looser meat stick to itself. The bottoms will end up fairly flat from being on the sheet pan. The tops will be bumpy and craggy and that's good. Generally loose enough sometimes you can see small holes straight through.

Then I refrigerate if making soon to let them cling to themselves more, or these days I'll make large batches at a time and freeze open on the sheet pan and then vacuum seal them and take them out a few days prior to cooking to thaw which is handy having them in vacuum seal bags.

I've found prepping burgers this way they always turn out better whether on the grill or stovetop. They're looser, so need more care, but never had one fall into the grill or break apart while cooking.

Stovetop I just do my All Clad pan seering temp hot, then avocado oil, then into the pan. If doing cheese (so always) I put it on the bumpier side so the cheese melts into the valleys. Usually cooks to a fine temps, but finish in toaster oven if needed or if trying to keep them warm since I only get two or maybe three per pan.

I've overcooked them but they're still good because they don't dry out the same way or get hockey puck firm since they aren't hard patted. Adapted the method from a serious eats article intentionally doing thin, craggy, well-done diner-style burgers, but the loose method made all the difference in thicker patties too.

I tried sous vide and then seering in a pan to warm them, and other tricks like starting from a cold pan, but in the end the prep was what made all the difference and the cooking method became far more forgiving.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i still have a huge chunk of ice/brisket on my freezer bottom , wonder if this will release it from the botom

• 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

i'm not 100% behind fish "chili" but so glad to see someone using the bits that fillet snobs leave behind.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
$1.99 brisket no room in freezer,(both) barely in the fridge, guess i'll be cooking on wednesday, i'll give 2lbs to my wifes guitar teacher and i'll invite my neighbor over...
why?
he says he likes smelling the wood burning

i stopped using mustard as a binder, just using warm water as a tip from goldies

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
An attempt was made. I’ve never fried anything before, but wanted to try out this corn dog recipe. Tasted fine, but complete execution fail. Couldn’t get the potato layer correct, it kept falling apart while also not even covering the whole of the dogs. Oh well.

Oh, and how do I properly dispose of used oil?

IMG_6819.jpegIMG_6818.jpeg

• 3Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
An attempt was made. I’ve never fried anything before, but wanted to try out this corn dog recipe. Tasted fine, but complete execution fail. Couldn’t get the potato layer correct, it kept falling apart while also not even covering the whole of the dogs. Oh well.

Oh, and how do I properly dispose of used oil?

View attachment 483861View attachment 483862

Trashcan with something that will absorb it like paper or something dry and starchy like old bread, bread crumbs, etc that you're throwing away anyway.

• 3Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I assume all the old blahblah about oily shop rags, critical mass, self igniting also applies to 3 gallons of corndog frying oil soaked into a month of sonday newspapers in a trashcan?