Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've often been unhappy with burgers prepared by others at cookouts and only moderately happy when I did them myself. So a few years back I set out to improve my process. Keeping in mind I have a decent talent for cooking but still prefer to balance out cheap and easy.

I buy loose ground beef from a local market that has decent quality and still grinds in house. No tight packed chubs or compressed containers. It made the biggest difference overall.

I then take a large baking sheet and very softly spread the meat, break up the few bits if compacted (sometimes remove those clumps for other purposes), season it, then very softly toss with hands. Then season some more, but don't toss again as it can lead to too much handling.

To form, I very gently push together disks on the sheet pan. No picking them up. No smacking them into patties. Handling as lightly and as little as possible. Just take as flat a layer of ground beef and then gently push them into disks in place on the sheet pan.

By now the meat will be warmed a bit and clingy, which is good to help the looser meat stick to itself. The bottoms will end up fairly flat from being on the sheet pan. The tops will be bumpy and craggy and that's good. Generally loose enough sometimes you can see small holes straight through.

Then I refrigerate if making soon to let them cling to themselves more, or these days I'll make large batches at a time and freeze open on the sheet pan and then vacuum seal them and take them out a few days prior to cooking to thaw which is handy having them in vacuum seal bags.

I've found prepping burgers this way they always turn out better whether on the grill or stovetop. They're looser, so need more care, but never had one fall into the grill or break apart while cooking.

Stovetop I just do my All Clad pan seering temp hot, then avocado oil, then into the pan. If doing cheese (so always) I put it on the bumpier side so the cheese melts into the valleys. Usually cooks to a fine temps, but finish in toaster oven if needed or if trying to keep them warm since I only get two or maybe three per pan.

I've overcooked them but they're still good because they don't dry out the same way or get hockey puck firm since they aren't hard patted. Adapted the method from a serious eats article intentionally doing thin, craggy, well-done diner-style burgers, but the loose method made all the difference in thicker patties too.

I tried sous vide and then seering in a pan to warm them, and other tricks like starting from a cold pan, but in the end the prep was what made all the difference and the cooking method became far more forgiving.
this dude is saying, you CAN'T DO all that at home

bon appetite bitch!

asian has "special" seasoning

bitch, it's msg lulz

7d882dd27e54bf06d7e5a2550b21089b.png

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
this dude is saying, you CAN'T DO all that at home

bon appetite bitch!

asian has "special" seasoning

bitch, it's msg lulz

7d882dd27e54bf06d7e5a2550b21089b.png
What a faggy video. Congratulations, you reinvented a smash burger, and hold up, kimchi-chi on a burger! Give this man a James Beard award! What was Goofy is the guy was talking about being able to taste the meat but then balancing out the richness of the meat, and proceeds to over sauce and adds two heavy vinegar based condiments. I'd be shocked if you could actually taste the damn hamburger. I bet that thing is a salt bomb.

You're right though Lanx Lanx , lots of msg. It is from New York so what was I expecting.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What a faggy video. Congratulations, you reinvented a smash burger, and hold up, kimchi-chi on a burger! Give this man a James Beard award! What was Goofy is the guy was talking about being able to taste the meat but then balancing out the richness of the meat, and proceeds to over sauce and adds two heavy vinegar based condiments. I'd be shocked if you could actually taste the damn hamburger. I bet that thing is a salt bomb.

You're right though Lanx Lanx , lots of msg. It is from New York so what was I expecting.
jesus christ, take down these covid booths already, look so disgusting

a2cab69e420964c77582069a04083c67.jpg

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
12hr prep really involves just leaving in the fridge to dry the fuck outta skin

gonna fire it up tonight in the air fryer, gotta remember to put some some vinegar on

i did a different approach where i also pricked the skin, went serial killer on it
f5bf2cc9f2c332ec27349562e590d427.png

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
12hr prep really involves just leaving in the fridge to dry the fuck outta skin

gonna fire it up tonight in the air fryer, gotta remember to put some some vinegar on

i did a different approach where i also pricked the skin, went serial killer on it
f5bf2cc9f2c332ec27349562e590d427.png
did 8hrs dry, either it was not enough or the airfryer broiler option was garbage...

gonna try another 8hrs and see what happens in the morning

also gotta scrap off all the salt (you put on a layer of salt to draw out moisture from skin)

the amount of oil that comes from this?
d4b719adad014676b0fca5dc0fe0ba56.png

i must be a cup and a half, damn, i'll measure it later, or just put in my smoker lulz

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
got costco milk
f351fbd6544935d0234bc532c2367a24.png

didn't notice a difference, but the container is a pleasure to pour with

Seriously? I'll never buy Cotsco milk because the container is such a pain in the ass. I can't stand that container when it's full. It's near impossible to not spill when you first open it.

• 1Seriously?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Seriously? I'll never buy Cotsco milk because the container is such a pain in the ass. I can't stand that container when it's full. It's near impossible to not spill when you first open it.
yea, after posting, i googled, and i guess it's been a forever issue, but they said they'll fix it in jan, looking at old pics, it looks like they added a plastic divider

it was my first time using it, was better than the traditional 1gallon pour

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So my first instant pot "mishap" was this evening, pretty mild as far as mishaps while cooking with an explosive device go. Thought I'd see how it handled noodles, a mix of curiosity and laziness. Found some instructions online, read em over carefully twice just to be sure, and off I went. To give credit where credit is due, the instructions did leave me with *perfect* noodles.

Unfortunately when I manually vented after letting it sit for five minutes, it spit out hot starchy mist that made an annoying mess all over the counter and cupboards, and especially the pot lid itself. What a pain.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So my first instant pot "mishap" was this evening, pretty mild as far as mishaps while cooking with an explosive device go. Thought I'd see how it handled noodles, a mix of curiosity and laziness. Found some instructions online, read em over carefully twice just to be sure, and off I went. To give credit where credit is due, the instructions did leave me with *perfect* noodles.

Unfortunately when I manually vented after letting it sit for five minutes, it spit out hot starchy mist that made an annoying mess all over the counter and cupboards, and especially the pot lid itself. What a pain.
I usually throw a dish towel over valve

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a more Italian way to die than to be crushed to death by wheels of cheese?

"Authorities now hope to determine whether the 74-year-old man was killed by one wheel of cheese or multiple."

Is this how Italy classifies crimes as misdemeanors or felonies?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The finest Covid is aged 19 years in a cave in France. Covid-19. By law it can only be produced in the Covid valley in western Brittany.
if we look back at the earliest sightings, milan was one of the earliest epicenters, so yea, fucking europe

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord