Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Touche....

Was she really that bad in the kitchen? Did you marry her for nice childbearing hips and big tits? Curious minds want to know.
i married her b/c if i gave her the task of risotto stirrer, 2minutes in, she woulda said "this is stupid, doesn't amazon have something for this?"

• 5Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i married her b/c if i gave her the task of risotto stirrer, 2minutes in, she woulda said "this is stupid, doesn't amazon have something for this?"
happy no way GIF by Fanta Thailand

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Someone gave me an air fryer. Trying fries in it now. It's just a convection oven, but it is one I can pick up and use out on my deck so I'm not turning on the large oven when my air conditioner is working.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
homer simpson GIF

What exactly are you trying to do though? Now I'm curious what the method behind your madness is.
well a few months back i got the instantpot cold brew maker cuz instantpot was going out of business or bankrupt and it was like 100less, it really is no different than the magnet stirrers you see in labs where they drop a magnet in a beaker and stir it up to get a whirlpool/vornado, it's just that it pulses a vornado rather than be consistent, so i wanted to see what science stuff can do

and i guess theyre fine for beakers, but once you drop in grinds, it's too much for it to properly mix

other than that i'm using cookware but for a different purpose my wife like to make candles and we have a cute little candle wax melter but i found it slow and the other options where they have a big pot and spout seem to suck after a while, the non stick teflon flakes out.

so i decided to get an induction hot plate
07187a65ab2cfddd815bfbed7c37458a.png

it melts like 2x the amount of wax 5x faster just cuz of how powerful the induction is.

Someone gave me an air fryer. Trying fries in it now. It's just a convection oven, but it is one I can pick up and use out on my deck so I'm not turning on the large oven when my air conditioner is working.
yea, just don't stuff and you'll get good results

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Haha, I pulled one out of my garage that the neighbor was throwing away and I think it may be been used once if not twice. A little Cuisinart. I used it for the first time the other night with some frozen shrimp which isn't something I normally make but it had been on sale and I was just feeling lazy.

Did a pretty good job and I think it could fill a niche roll for just different things. Would I make my primary dish in it, absolutely not, but if it's some stupid Frozen appetizer, yeah that's fine.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
yea, just don't stuff and you'll get good results

Haha, I pulled one out of my garage that the neighbor was throwing away and I think it may be been used once if not twice. A little Cuisinart. I used it for the first time the other night with some frozen shrimp which isn't something I normally make but it had been on sale and I was just feeling lazy.

Did a pretty good job and I think it could fill a niche roll for just different things. Would I make my primary dish in it, absolutely not, but if it's some stupid Frozen appetizer, yeah that's fine.

Fries came out perfect. Nice and crispy. I also did a couple small meatloaves in it. They came out great, too. Nice crispy outside all the way around. And clean up was so simple. I can see myself using this fairly often, actually. Do just a few mozzarella sticks or the like in a short time without turning on the oven. I like the idea. Mine has a rotisserie in it, so I am going to try a roasted chicken tomorrow night.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fries came out perfect. Nice and crispy. I also did a couple small meatloaves in it. They came out great, too. Nice crispy outside all the way around. And clean up was so simple. I can see myself using this fairly often, actually. Do just a few mozzarella sticks or the like in a short time without turning on the oven. I like the idea. Mine has a rotisserie in it, so I am going to try a roasted chicken tomorrow night.
i find spritzing w/ oil gives a nice crust (i just put canola oil in a spray bottle, no pam)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
We did some calamari, and it's not like nice and fresh out of a restaurant, but to have a little appetizer while we were making dinner, we enjoyed it. The little one that we've got doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of space, but I think it'll be good just to do a little small deals here and there.

Also like the fact that I guess I eat something up in it it's not going to increase the temperature on the house versus firing up the oven.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We did some calamari, and it's not like nice and fresh out of a restaurant, but to have a little appetizer while we were making dinner, we enjoyed it. The little one that we've got doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of space, but I think it'll be good just to do a little small deals here and there.

Also like the fact that I guess I eat something up in it it's not going to increase the temperature on the house versus firing up the oven.

Yeah, that's exactly the type of thing I can see using it for. Appetizers and such. And using it on the deck in the summer.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So fried chicken on the grill the other night. No deep frying, just cooked it at a 400 to 450 temp at the top of the grill at the hottest part. Battered the chicken in Louisiana fried Chicken mix, and followed the instructions apart from deep frying. But the battery sit on the chicken for a bit and then Spritz it down with olive oil.

Took about an hour to cook, but I was shocked at the results. I kind of screwed up by overseasoning it some. Had dry brine the chicken for 24 hours, and I didn't realize that that particular batter brand was going to be as seasoned. I think I can probably figure out a way to make the batter a little bit lighter, because it was kind of heavy but ultra crispy and for not actually frying chicken but God damn best fried chicken I've had in a long time. I'd wager that you could serve this to somebody and they would never know it wasn't deep fried if you didn't tell them.

Have that quick red beans and rice, quick collards, and some goofy recipe for a potato casserole that ended up being delicious using frozen hash browns. Was it with the wife. I think the next time I do this I'll just buy a big value pack of chicken legs and try a couple of different thicknesses or mixtures of batter. I really feel you can dial it in. I guess the whole idea is I could sit and cook all this other shit while it was cooking up on the grill and then was able to put dinner together relatively quickly for a weeknight.

It was a fun experiment and a few nice meals throughout the course of the week. I really think it's worth trying if you don't like to break out oil and dick around with deep frying chicken.
IMG_20230829_191510235~2.jpg

IMG_20230829_203557655_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230829_205512341~2.jpg

I repeat, that did not go into a pot of oil. I sent a photo to my mom and she asked me if it was Popeyes. It really worked.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 3Mother of God
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 9 users

Skeezer

Molten Core Raider
I gave the mind blown reaction because that mess looks delicious. *golfclap*

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I went basic the other night with panko breaded fried chicken cutlets, dropped them on a brioche bun and a hearty helping of Chick-fil-A sauce. Made up a quick slaw with Marzetti dressing for a side. It's amazing how simple stuff can still taste so good.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I went basic the other night with panko breaded fried chicken cutlets, dropped them on a brioche bun and a hearty helping of Chick-fil-A sauce. Made up a quick slaw with Marzetti dressing for a side. It's amazing how simple stuff can still taste so good.
That's what I normally do when I'm wanting pseudo-fried chicken. I don't like to have to break out the fryer and I was trying to figure out a better way to make something more akin to the true blue product. I normally use a mix of panko and progresso talian bread crumbs. My mom used to make it all the time when we were growing up, and she would just bake it in the oven and it's delicious.
It's not fried chicken though. That's why I think I could really dial in the batter, because it was a little heavy but God damn, then emulated fried Chicken the better than anything else I've ever done, without actually frying it of course.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's what I normally do when I'm wanting pseudo-fried chicken. I don't like to have to break out the fryer and I was trying to figure out a better way to make something more akin to the true blue product. I normally use a mix of panko and progresso talian bread crumbs. My mom used to make it all the time when we were growing up, and she would just bake it in the oven and it's delicious.
It's not fried chicken though. That's why I think I could really dial in the batter, because it was a little heavy but God damn, then emulated fried Chicken the better than anything else I've ever done, without actually frying it of course.
if you find you find your crumbs to be uneven, make a separate one for panko and then do the bread crumbs.
the huge size of the panko will coat the chicken, then the breadcrumbs will fill in the voids

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
guess it's time to sharpen my knives (been putting it off, do most of you put your most used knife out of the way and just use the next sharpest one? until you have no more sharp ones?)

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
guess it's time to sharpen my knives (been putting it off, do most of you put your most used knife out of the way and just use the next sharpest one? until you have no more sharp ones?)

I use different knives for different things. I try to be diligent about sharpening them maybe once a month, and a varies dependent upon how much I'm using them. The wife well occasionally say this isn't cutting well or I see you're trying to chop a tomato, and I say give me that to sharpen.

Sometimes a knife might be dirty but I'll hand wash it quick if I prefer it for different tasks. I'm not as rigorous about knife upkeep as I ought to be, but we've been using these Ikea knives for a few years and I've already bought a backup set, and for the money they're pretty phenomenal. They're really shaped and have the same feel as Global, which is a nice brand I've always wanted but I have a hard time spending that much money on them. I need to replace my Victorinox though. I battered and abused it, and it's just there for rough chopping at this point.

I guess with Amazon having sales for Labor Day I need to look at two things, replacing that chef's knife, and probably getting a new sharpener. I think the one I have is from back in college. It still works but I'd probably be better off with something new.

If you know of a good manual one, or hell even an electric I'm all ears.