Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Okay, not my cooking, but went to an outdoor festival today, and I had the best smoked rib tips I have ever eaten in my life. This dude had a set up that was a trailer (pull behind the truck) that had four smokers on it. Each one was about 8 feel long, and big barrel shaped. On each of these he had different things. Rib tips, brisket, wings, and whole chicken. I got to talking to him, and ended up trying a bit of everything, but the rib tips were just the most amazing smoked meat I ever had. He said it came down to two things for him, first, the rub you put on it. He puts it on a day before. Then it's the temperature and time. He started smoking stuff about 2am this morning, I got some of the first stuff he pulled off the smokers at 3pm today. Virtually no heat, heavy smoke, amazing rub, orgasmic results. I seriously want to work for this guy just to learn his secrets. From 3-4pm he was pulling meat out of the smokers, like a metric fuck tonne of meat, and it's all he sold. He had a corn casserole that got spooned up with it, but it was the meat. In one hour he sold out of everything. I think he had 100 whole chickens on the one smoker, just so you know the scale I'm talking about. He slept in his truck so he could tend to the meat overnight, but between yesterday and today he said he cleared probably $15k. It wasn't cheap, nor should it have been.

Honestly, I would wax poetic about this guys product all day. It's rare that I find something that is just so pleasing and delicious.

He wouldn't give me the recipe for his rub. :(

3b0f9a72838e5f540309ee9635413a7e80cd159c856f63f6aec72212efc1fa4d.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Picked up a KitchenAid ice cream attachment and a bread maker. Ran the initial trials yesterday. Only did a 1lb loaf of white bread and a quart of vanilla ice cream to experiment.

Bread was a little lacking in flavor but it was standard plain white bread. Texture was good. The Ice cream came out smooth and creamy.

1694626267650.png

1694626300721.png

1694626196370.png

1694626228822.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Picked up a KitchenAid ice cream attachment and a bread maker. Ran the initial trials yesterday. Only did a 1lb loaf of white bread and a quart of vanilla ice cream to experiment.

Bread was a little lacking in flavor but it was standard plain white bread. Texture was good. The Ice cream came out smooth and creamy.

View attachment 490476

View attachment 490477

View attachment 490474

View attachment 490475
It's hard to beat either fresh baked bread or homemade ice cream. Two things we don't do enough of. Need to get the wife on bread duty since she does all the baking, or just learn it myself.

Think there's a recipe all over the internet for a Dutch oven sourdough bread that's pretty easy to make if you wanted something with more flavor. Supposed to be pretty easy. Did you get one of the dedicated bread making machines where you buy the premade mixes?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's hard to beat either fresh baked bread or homemade ice cream. Two things we don't do enough of. Need to get the wife on bread duty since she does all the baking, or just learn it myself.

Think there's a recipe all over the internet for a Dutch oven sourdough bread that's pretty easy to make if you wanted something with more flavor. Supposed to be pretty easy. Did you get one of the dedicated bread making machines where you buy the premade mixes?
looks like a 1lb loaf

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>

I got the "Cuisinart Bread Maker Machine, Compact and Automatic, Customizable Settings, Up to 2lb Loaves, CBK-110P1, Silver,Black". Its an all-in-one machine. I did not use anything premade. I bought some bread flour and other ingredients and then followed the recipe. Its stupidly simple and eliminates the kneading by hand. Put the stuff in, choose the bread type button and press start. It does the rest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I hadnt realized bread needed dry milk, so I used wet for the experimental batch. Dry milk is on the shopping list.
remember the spanish kind (the nido) is whole milk, not that skim mlk garbage
b23b4295e5319d3cbbcf1e5e4e718737.png

i see recipes calling for it, probably b/c most ppl don't keep milk in the fridge if you don't have kids

• 4Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
remember the spanish kind (the nido) is whole milk, not that skim mlk garbage
b23b4295e5319d3cbbcf1e5e4e718737.png

i see recipes calling for it, probably b/c most ppl don't keep milk in the fridge if you don't have kids
Most Asian people maybe.

Nido does look nice to have for multiple uses perhaps.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
3rd batch of ice cream. Strawberry.
I did the vanilla batch as a custard (using egg yolis) and the chocolate and strawberry using the Philly recipe (no egg yolks). The difference in taste and texture is margins nal at best, but the difference in time to make the base is so much faster and easier without the eggs that I think this will be my go to now. The ice cream as it finishes churning in soft serve version is amazing.

Also did my second loaf of bread. Technically my 3rd because I fucked up the second loaf and used 1/2 cup scoops of flour instead of whole cups. Second loaf got trashed when I saw it wasn't balling up and realized the mistake I made.

20230917_183700.jpg

20230917_190406.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Tried making bread in my Dutch oven again. Came out amazing. I think that's how I am going to do it from now on. Very easy recipe (link below for basic recipe) that you can add whatever you want to. No knead bread that has a fantastic crust and nice air pockets in the bread when it's finished. Would recommend.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I made a Cajun shrimp boil today with some extra sides for family visiting. It was pretty good but man that sauce is hard to nail down and I was not fully satisfied with the flavor profile. Does anyone have a recipe for a basic Cajun sauce similar to what you get at joints near the Chesapeake? I am guessing I will have to make a spice blend and ditch the premade Cajun.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Tried making bread in my Dutch oven again. Came out amazing. I think that's how I am going to do it from now on. Very easy recipe (link below for basic recipe) that you can add whatever you want to. No knead bread that has a fantastic crust and nice air pockets in the bread when it's finished. Would recommend.

That's the NY Times recipe but yeah it is almost foolproof and turns out good pretty much every time. I bought this thing so I could do it and make a long loaf instead of just a round one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit like bread I jsut go to the experts when I want a good loaf. Making good bread is a fucking art form and just too much work, even the above. We have a bangin italian bakery/specialty import store like a mile away from our house that has fresh loaves every day of all kinds, french, italian,Like 10 varieties of italian, baguettes..etc... You get there early in the morning its still warm. They also have pizza dough bags for $1.75 and its some of the best dough Ive tried at home.

I used my bread maker for pizza dough before since it has a recipe and its good, measure out the shit, set it and forget it. Come back in like 2 hours and its risen and ready to make. But still, IDK what it is, the yeast? or not having a starter made days before? Something, it just is not the same, I even tried the good more expensive bread/pizza flours of all kinds. But again, its just easier to just go and buy the shit, lol.

Sometimes I can find frozen dough balls at Krogers in the freezer section, and those were good too, better than I could make, but a lot of times they jsut dont have them. They were great too because you would take them out in the morning and by dinner time they were all rising on your counter ready to hand toss. We love to make out own pizzas at home, during to cooler months we make it a weekly thing. GFS, if you have them around you, also has frozen dough balls and the best mozza cheese. They sell these big bags of the shit for like $14, prolly would make like 15 pizzas or more? The shit is good because its none of that skim/part skim shit they sell at the stores. And trust, you can tell the difference in cheese.

For the sauce I experimented with a lot of shit. I tried using canned tomato sauce, and seasoned with garlic and oregano, like they do in pizza shops and the youtubes, but the fam and I prefer the cheap jars of Kroger pasta sauce they sell for like a dollar fifty a bottle. They have all kinds and they all have a good flavor for pizza.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
3rd batch of ice cream. Strawberry.
I did the vanilla batch as a custard (using egg yolis) and the chocolate and strawberry using the Philly recipe (no egg yolks). The difference in taste and texture is margins nal at best, but the difference in time to make the base is so much faster and easier without the eggs that I think this will be my go to now. The ice cream as it finishes churning in soft serve version is amazing.

Also did my second loaf of bread. Technically my 3rd because I fucked up the second loaf and used 1/2 cup scoops of flour instead of whole cups. Second loaf got trashed when I saw it wasn't balling up and realized the mistake I made.

View attachment 491040

View attachment 491041
I flip flop between custard and regular when we make ice cream. Think the last time I just did sweet cream, like the kind you get at marble slab. Probably my favorite simple ice cream, especially with fresh berries.

You should try making frozen custard using corn syrup as some of the sweetener. Remember seeing serious eats or maybe test kitchen use it to give a chewier texture, or at least that's how they described it. More akin to the fresh frozen custard you get at a good burger stand. I've not done it, but it's supposed to be delicious.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have friends that bake as a hobby and they get the brick form of yeast. Hey said the beginner mistake is thinking your yeast is good. Store it in an air proof container in the fridge and test it every time w/ 1tsp sugar 2tsp yest and warm water. It should bubble and smell if not, its dead yeast

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users