Gravy's Cooking Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you replace the motor, might want to see if the HVAC company will do a proper cleaning of the duct itself, but you may have to get a hood cleaning company. That's an important part of maintaining a hood system. If it's old it's probably got a massive buildup of grease, and might as well spend the extra money to keep you from having an issue further down the road.
Nahh, this is not connected to the hood. Its a separate duct going from the kitchen ceiling out to the side of the house, like you see. It might have some grease in it but I doubt it has too much since the OG owner of the house was not a cook type, AND its not over the stove.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Nahh, this is not connected to the hood. Its a separate duct going from the kitchen ceiling out to the side of the house, like you see. It might have some grease in it but I doubt it has too much since the OG owner of the house was not a cook type, AND its not over the stove.
10-4. Are you sure the Hood's not connected to it? Where does the hood exhaust at then?

Edit: sorry just thinking through it and I'm assuming the kitchen is on the other side of that wall were that ceiling exhaust fan is at? I'm just wondering if there's a ceiling exhaust and then it's also tied into the hood system.

Only other thing I can think of is if you got something that goes straight up through the wall to the roof. This is all based on one picture and I'm just thinking out loud. Now I want to know how it's all ducted, sorry, it's just how my brains wired after being in construction for two decades.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Two separate ducts. The hood just empties into the attic, yeah I know, but thats how codes were back then. This one goes out to the side like the picture.

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Two separate ducts. The hood just empties into the attic, yeah I know, but thats how codes were back then. This one goes out to the side like the picture.
Well okay that's not something I thought of, but you're right it was played pretty loose back in the day. Is there a greasy film on everything up there?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
is that how mystery fires in the attic start?
That's a good point. Very possible, that or just old wiring, but if you're exhausting Grease particulates on top of insulation and combustible materials, well that's probably not going to do you any favors in the long run. Also think about how much crap people store in their attics, cardboard boxes junk whatever. Just go ahead and turn it all into a candle by frying up pork chops / bacon once a week. Give it a decade or two dependent upon what you cook, and yeah it's makes sense.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
cuz grease is scary yo, last night i started the fire on my vertical smoker,
it has a big bowl that you fill w/ water as the first layer and it also catches all the fat/grease

i might not be cleaning this big bowl of grease every time...

anyway the fire was roaring and i want to put on this huge bowl and it slipped (couldn't catch it on the tab) fell on top of the coals and the fire got on the old grease (i only hosed it down w/ a garden hose), somehow this created a vortex of fire and it instantly got like 500degrees hotter.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
it has a big bowl that you fill w/ water as the first layer and it also catches all the fat/grease

anyway the fire was roaring and i want to put on this huge bowl and it slipped (couldn't catch it on the tab) fell on top of the coals and the fire got on the old grease (i only hosed it down w/ a garden hose), somehow this created a vortex of fire and it instantly got like 500degrees hotter.
Yeah, you got to be careful. I've started a fires on my gas grills in the past if I use them to cook something that renders a bunch of fat and didn't put down a drip pan. Only had to do that once. But even the ambient Greece you get from cooking regularly on it is enough to ignite if the temperature is hot enough.

I remember back in college the company I worked at part-time with a bunch of other college guys used to have an annual company cook-off. We were making ribs and wings or something. I was in charge of ribs and somebody else was in charge of frying wings. Well you drank beer most in the morning, and then the company broke out kegs later on in the day for the Cook off.

Everybody used to get pretty sloshed, and I don't remember who on the team was dealing with wings, but they let the grease in the giant frying pot get past the smoke point, and it ignited. It's not the first time something like that had happened during one of these events. Luckily we had fire extinguishers but the damn thing didn't want to go out easily. Once it starts to burn it's like napalm.

• 1Mother of God

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Preheat to 450. The "slide the pizza in" is the part I don't like about using just the pizza steel. That requires a stupid amount of flour/corn meal or I'm just bad at it. I'll roll out my dough to the rough shape of my pan and then fit it with the palm of hand. I want it to stick at the point as it helps the dough hold shape.

I might try 500, 450 is already a ridiculous temperature/time that makes the kitchen really hot in the summer. We use preshredded cheese(hard to find low moisture high fat mozzarella otherwise) and I suspect the anticaking agents(starch) impedes browning.
If you have a Walmart nearby....

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Grease fire and water is bad. Fire blankets work well for grills, or just get a huge bag of baking soda for cheap which is what most of the B and C fire extinguishers are if I remember correctly.

Or do what I did and try to explain the different extinguishers to the wifey and then just buy an all purpose fire extinguisher just in case I'm not around and I put the grease/oil specific ones away where they won't be confusing. All purpose is a bitch to clean up the chemicals but better than a fire getting out of control.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That looks amazing! Intended for indoor use it seems. Wonder how much smoke comes off it.

you won't get any off that type of charcoal and since the fat/liquids from the cook isn't dripping on it i'd guess near zero

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
you won't get any off that type of charcoal and since the fat/liquids from the cook isn't dripping on it i'd guess near zero
Guess it depends on how much fat you'll render. Watched it a few times, and it doesn't drain out, but the chimney has a lip around it keeping the drippings separate. Too much grease, overflow on the chimney, and then you have a lot of smoke. It's got to be a pain to clean, too.

Pretty cool though. Reminds me of that deal for doing backyard camp fires that's heavily contained. Basically a self-contained / mobile fire pit. Double walled cylinder with perferations for air flow. I know a few people that have them and they put out a lot of heat and burn very clean. They're not cheap and for the life of me I can't remember the name, but all stainless steel. I think you can get cooking grates for them and this almost looks like some sort of Asian knockoff version with that ring adapter.

Edit: looked it up, the Solo Stove is what I was talking about.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Grease fire and water is bad. Fire blankets work well for grills, or just get a huge bag of baking soda for cheap which is what most of the B and C fire extinguishers are if I remember correctly.

Or do what I did and try to explain the different extinguishers to the wifey and then just buy an all purpose fire extinguisher just in case I'm not around and I put the grease/oil specific ones away where they won't be confusing. All purpose is a bitch to clean up the chemicals but better than a fire getting out of control.
yea i probably should get an extinquisher for my patio..., even tho my kitchen and garage are right there, who knows.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Guess it depends on how much fat you'll render. Watched it a few times, and it doesn't drain out, but the chimney has a lip around it keeping the drippings separate. Too much grease, overflow on the chimney, and then you have a lot of smoke. It's got to be a pain to clean, too.

Pretty cool though. Reminds me of that deal for doing backyard camp fires that's heavily contained. Basically a self-contained / mobile fire pit. Double walled cylinder with perferations for air flow. I know a few people that have them and they put out a lot of heat and burn very clean. They're not cheap and for the life of me I can't remember the name, but all stainless steel. I think you can get cooking grates for them and this almost looks like some sort of Asian knockoff version with that ring adapter.
i've seen a lot of this type of barrel cooking when asians want crispy skin, i've seen em line chicken and ducks and pork belly facing the fire, the drippings is collected on the out ring and used to make sauce

• 1Like

fresh

<Gold Donor>
Those are called “rockets” in Thailand. Great for cooking whole birds. I used to use them at a south Asian place I worked at.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Was talked about here, but summoning Lanx Lanx as the unofficial amazon ambassador. Faggot delivery I mentioned damaged in shipping? Wont let me do anything until 5 days past delivery. Exceeded that and now in a endless loop of no matter what I press it saying basically wait for us to receive the item back, an auto chat bot that just wants me to look at my order page, etc etc, If I try to manually request a refund, gives me all shit options, and the one for item/box damaged etc wants me to answer if it's still in the box which I'm sure setting it up to be flagged as my problem to return when it never even made it to my state.

Faggots.