Great Audiobooks

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
A pretty funny Audio Book is from Bert Kreischer. He's a stand up comic that hosts "Trip Flip" on the Travel Channel. He's also a regular on The Joe Rogan Experience podcast.

Life of the Party: Stories of a Perpetual Man-Child Audiobook | Bert Kreischer | Audible.com

I saw him last night at Helium Comedy Club in Philadelphia. Awesome show.
jzasW7v.jpg

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Martian by Andy Weir

Guy gets stuck on Mars and becomes a potato farmer.
You guys are horrible at book summaries lol, but I'll second that recommendation. Great audiobook. I listen to a ton of them. Here are just a few of my recs:

The Martian
The Martian Audiobook | Andy Weir | Audible.com | Audible.co.uk

Blindsight
Blindsight Audiobook | Peter Watts | Audible.com

11-22-63
11-22-63: A Novel Audiobook | Stephen King | Audible.com

For those of you who liked The Dark Tower- The Wind Through the Keyhole
The Wind Through the Keyhole: The Dark Tower Audiobook | Stephen King | Audible.com | Audible.co.uk

For those of you who like Civil War era stuff Cornwell's Starbuck series (which I think is actually better than his Sharpe's) starting with:
Rebel: Nathaniel Starbuck Chronicles Book I Audiobook | Bernard Cornwell | Audible.com

Matterhorn: Vietnam
Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War Audiobook | Karl Marlantes | Audible.com | Audible.co.uk

Agincourt
Agincourt Audiobook | Bernard Cornwell | Audible.com

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Pretty new to audio books, but have listened to The Martian twice now and Fear the Sky - RC Bray is an amazing performer/narrator/whatever the proper term is. Listened to Insurgent and Allegiant somewhere in there too, wife got me into that one, blah, main female reader is so angsty the entire time it's grating... but that's the material. Those books had me upping the pace to 1.5x speed.

Anxious for the second book to Fear the Sky, I could probably listen to RC Bray read a phone book. Was a fun pre-alien invasion story.

Have a couple of Audible credits I'll need to use on some of the suggestions here, old thread but some good stuff.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Started World War ZZ (the complete one) love the interview approach and the voice cast.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is there a way to get these less than a million dollars? I may do the Audible trial for The Martian eventually but 30 bucks for a narration when I can pick up any number of multimillion dollar feature films for less is a tough pill to swallow. If I'm reading it right you get 1/mo for $15 and 30% off so they'd still be like $20/ea? Maybe Audible does sales or something?

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Your audible membership gets you 1 credit per month also for anything in the catalog. So if you only go through an audiobook per month that covers the habit. Start a trial, enjoy the Martian for free, cancel if there's nothing else that interests you. You even keep the book you pick for the trial when you cancel.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I agree that audiobooks are insanely overpriced.

Question - is there a good player for Android for audiobooks? Something that lets you switch to other audio files but saves your place, perhaps? Sometimes I'll have one massive 10-hour audiobook file that I'm halfway through, but want to switch to some music. Finding where I left off on a single 100+ meg audio file is ballsdick.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I agree that audiobooks are insanely overpriced.

Question - is there a good player for Android for audiobooks? Something that lets you switch to other audio files but saves your place, perhaps? Sometimes I'll have one massive 10-hour audiobook file that I'm halfway through, but want to switch to some music. Finding where I left off on a single 100+ meg audio file is ballsdick.
I use Smart Audiobook player. The free version is basic but functional.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...okplayer&hl=en

If you aren't looking for something specific Librevox has some decent readers among the really bad ones. This guy does good quality readings/recordings:

LibriVox

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
There are always other avenues to get audio books if you don't have any qualms about the moral implecations.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Mortplayer has worked well for me, though it's been a few months since I've used it; I assume it's still good as ever.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Pretty new to audio books, but have listened to The Martian twice now and Fear the Sky - RC Bray is an amazing performer/narrator/whatever the proper term is. Listened to Insurgent and Allegiant somewhere in there too, wife got me into that one, blah, main female reader is so angsty the entire time it's grating... but that's the material. Those books had me upping the pace to 1.5x speed.

Anxious for the second book to Fear the Sky, I could probably listen to RC Bray read a phone book. Was a fun pre-alien invasion story.

Have a couple of Audible credits I'll need to use on some of the suggestions here, old thread but some good stuff.
RC Bray KILLED it with his performance in The Martian. I didn't think anyone would top Roy Dotrice's reading of the Song of Ice and Fire series, but I think this guy did. I was really impressed with how naturally and seamlessly he changed accents and speaking mannerisms to distinguish between the characters' dialogue.