Greatest Guitar Solo

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
I pretty much have to put this here. Gilmour was absolutely amazing on this song. So much emotion. Incredible. First solo is right about 2:00 in. Second (and better solo) is at 4:30. Maybe the best example ever that more != better.

Gary Moore. Holy hell this guy should have been a god. Maybe the greatest lead tone ever recorded. Solo starts at about 2:35 in.

And just because I can't leave my fav, John Petrucci out of the mix. Solo starts at 4:40.. Hang onto your hats.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I like the Shine On You Crazy Diamond intro solo more. But yeah, any Gilmour is good. And Petrucci is one of my favorite shredders out there. Up there with Paul Gilbert.

Guthrie Govan is another shredder. He's normally balls to the walls blazing speed face melting, but my favorite work of his has been with Steven Wilson. The solo in Drive Home is like a ripping Gilmour solo. So damn good. Solo starts at 5:05.

Almost any Trey Anastasio solo is also amazing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Oh yeah. Forgot about Joe Bonamassa. This whole song has amazing playing in it but the real fun begins at 6:00.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Some really good stuff there guys, bringing back some memories. Had totally forgotten about Gary Moore.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I love Bonamassa and so many solos, but lately I've just felt bleh about disconnected solos that don't augment the melody.

Compare these two versions of the same song, one with random backup guitar dude and one with Duane Allman:

@2:50ish

vs.

@2:38ish

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Huge fan of Paul Gilbert as far as shredders go.

One of my favorites, starts at ~1:18

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

I'm muted so hopefully this video is good.

I first heard this song like 20 years ago and to me it's still as good as it gets. This guy recorded this song when he was like 18 (or at least very young) and it blows me away. Say what you want about Yngwie, but the guy completely created a new genre of guitar playing.

Thread is also incomplete without Jason Becker. Such a sad story, such a gifted kid:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That Guthrie solo in Drive Home gets me in the feels every time.
Yeah, that's definitely one of my favorite solos of all time. The solo from Home Invasion is also tops, but I don't think anything is as good as the Drive Home solo. For those that want to compare, it starts around 8:50.

Prince can shred so hard.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
All time best is Comfortably Numb

But this is good to.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That solo is weaksauce compared to every other one posted. That solo doesn't even build up to anything. Don't get me wrong, it's a classic solo, but it's nowhere close to "greatest".

Probably Lifeson's best solo. Action starts at 3:50. That's how you build a solo.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Oh yeah. Forgot about Joe Bonamassa. This whole song has amazing playing in it but the real fun begins at 6:00.
I really enjoyed this, that dude has some limber fingers. Why the fuck are there two drum sets?

That solo is weaksauce compared to every other one posted. That solo doesn't even build up to anything. Don't get me wrong, it's a classic solo, but it's nowhere close to "greatest".

Probably Lifeson's best solo. Action starts at 3:50. That's how you build a solo.
I'm a big Nugent fan (not politics), but Lifeson is probably the most underrated guitar player in rock, among the commons. Fucker is unbelievable. A+

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I first heard this song like 20 years ago and to me it's still as good as it gets. This guy recorded this song when he was like 18 (or at least very young) and it blows me away. Say what you want about Yngwie, but the guy completely created a new genre of guitar playing.
Yngwie Who?

Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen, that's who.

That was his concert T-shirt when I saw him with Triumph back in Nineteen Diggity Two.