Greatest Video Game(s) of All Time

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
List of games that impacted me to the point of always remembering them decades later:

Final Fantasy II/IV
Zelda Link to the Past
Final Fantasy X
Everquest
Bloodborne

Don't get me wrong there are many other games out there that are great/awesome, more than I can count. But those were ones that deeply pulled me in at levels that don't even compare.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tactics Ogre (multiple endings and gave birth to the genre that FF Tactics is in)
Master of Orion 2 (still the best space based 4x game, nearly two decades after its release)
Last of Us (Best story driven game ever made)
Ocarina of Time (there is a reason this is the first game that gets remade for every new Nintendo console or gamepad)
Starcraft Brood War (even casuals played the shit out of this game and its still arguably the best RTS ever made)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Define "greatest".

Some games created or defined a genre but are unplayable today because aspects of it are dated.

I'd argue that the game should be playable right now, you can't ignore technological advances. That's why I rate Final Fantasy 10 over Final Fantasy 7.

Many games haven't dated. I had Sonic 1 and 2 on my phone two years ago and they were still great.

Anyway I want to mention Balders Gate 1 and 2. I had a baby in that game with the Sky Elf WTF.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Star Control 2. Music and script are still awesome today, huge game world & complex plot, and it all ran on a 386 off a couple of 1.44MB floppies. You can play it free now, it was rebuilt as The Ur-Quan Masters. IMO, it's the obvious inspiration for Mass Effect.

People have already mentioned most of my other favs:
Zelda LTTP, Final Fantasy series, Deus Ex, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series, EverQuest, Diablo 2, Quake 2, Fallout 3, Civ 2, Castlevania SotN

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Define "greatest".

Some games created or defined a genre but are unplayable today because aspects of it are dated.

I'd argue that the game should be playable right now, you can't ignore technological advances. That's why I rate Final Fantasy 10 over Final Fantasy 7.

I have played all five of the games I listed in the last year or so. But I am also a freak who replayed all of the old Gold Box D&D and Tie Fighter Wars games.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A lot of games that I used to love, I go back and replay them and it is mostly a lot of nostalgia that was driving those feelings. Like, I love Ocarina of Time, and for the time it was amazing. Better than any action RPG to come out since? nah man. But I still replay that shit every few years because nostalgia is awesome. On a purely time based case, I put more hours into WoW and Diablo 2 than any other game, I am certain.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EverQuest- Best MMO
Starcraft Brood War- Best competitive RTS
Warcraft 3 (+expansions)- Best RTS
Dead Space 1- Best survival horror
Baldur's Gate- Best CRPG
Dota 2- Best MOBA
Super Mario World- Best platformer
Battlefield 1942- Best online FPS
Team Fortress Classic- Best competitive FPS
Bioshock- Best FPS
Mass Effect 2- Best sci-fi game
Civilization 4 (+expansions)- Best turn based strategy game
The Last of Us- Best action adventure game
Portal 2- Best puzzle game
Tie Fighter- Best flight simulator
Skyrim- Best open world game
Grand Theft Auto V- Best criminal simulator
Red Dead Redemption- Best western game
Ocarina of Time- Best Nintendo game
Mario Kart 8- Best racing game

• 1Solidarity

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
See I knew OOT would be up there, and I get it. That game just did not click with me at all. In fact I didn't even like it. I just gave up the argument as that is how Zelda is since it went 3D, as there are way more 3D Zeldas at this point, then there are 2D. I just much prefer what it was when it was 2D, and I'm not sure exactly what was lost for me in the 3D versions.

• 3Solidarity

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I didn't include games that haven't aged well in my list, which is why there aren't many 32-64 bit era games in there. Sprite games are timeless, but soms of those early polygon 3d games like platformers or openish world rpg's (crash, zelda oot) are pretty tough to play now.

Although I'm not sure how I forgot about SotN, which might be my favorite game of all time.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Some categories, also considering over a longer time period:

Best RPG - Baldur's Gate 2
Best FPS - Half Life
Best RTS - Warcraft 3
Best MMORPG - WoW
Best TBS - HoMM 3
Best adventure - Quest for Glory
Best platformer - Super mario world

• 2Solidarity
  • 1SJW

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm surprised at all the War3. From a purely objective RTS standpoint it flew in the face of what an RTS really stands for with individual hero progression, punishment for aggressive expansion and macro gameplay. The game really kicked off the mainstream concept of an A-RTS which I guess is maybe just arguing semantics over A-RTS being just a subset of RTS. Or maybe it is because I think Brood War is the best game ever made so saying War3 is the best RTS triggers me.

• 1SJW

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
maxresdefault.jpg

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Everquest
Zelda Original/ LTTP/ OoT/ Majora's Mask
Super Metroid
Bioshock 1/ Infinite
Majesty (you probably haven't heard of it #hipster)
Super Mario Original/ 3/ World/ 64
GoldenEye
Fallout 3
Mario Kart 64
Mortal Kombat II
Street Figther II Championship Edition

• 1Solidarity

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Reaavers List of catagories, from an old fart perspective:

Best RPG - Basically if your answer is anything other than FF4(2US) or
Best FPS - Half Life is a good answer, but this category is a broad one with different standards. Story wide, Last of Us. MP wise, SW Battlefront (the old one) or Quake 2.
Best RTS - Brood War is the game that all others are measured by.
Best MMORPG - In terms of quality, pre nerf City of Heroes was a really great MMO, but I think even though I don't like the game Eve Online has to be the winner here.
Best TBS - HoMM is not even in the same league as Master of Magic, let alone full blown Civ 2 or 3. Master of Orion 2 is my personal favorite here.
Best adventure - Hands down, Day of the Tenticle which still holds up years later.
Best platformer - Again a lot of eras and styles, but I think Super Mario World is actually a good answer. I think Symphony of the Night is a better game, though.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Last of Us is not a FPS, man!

• 1SJW