Greatest Video Game(s) of All Time

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

Well for me, EQ2 was much more significant than EQ1. I was 10 when EQ2 came out and I tried EQ1 first (briefly) because I thought that they were direct sequels and you had to play the first one to understand the second one (I was still unfamiliar with the concept of MMORPGs not really having an end point at this time), but I couldn't really get into it. EQ2's graphics and clearer tutorial helped me get into it and I played that game religiously for years. Those of you who played both probably have a better concept of which one is better but for me, EQ2 had a massive impact on my life and I loved almost everything about the game until they made it much more linear with RoK. (Though even then I still liked it a lot.)

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Well for me, EQ2 was much more significant than EQ1. I was 10 when EQ2 came out and I tried EQ1 first (briefly) because I thought that they were direct sequels and you had to play the first one to understand the second one (I was still unfamiliar with the concept of MMORPGs not really having an end point at this time), but I couldn't really get into it. EQ2's graphics and clearer tutorial helped me get into it and I played that game religiously for years. Those of you who played both probably have a better concept of which one is better but for me, EQ2 had a massive impact on my life and I loved almost everything about the game until they made it much more linear with RoK. (Though even then I still liked it a lot.)

I felt a great sadness descend over me as I read this. I can't imagine looking so fondly on EQ2. It makes me sad to think that shitstain of a game had a massive impact on your life, and you missed out on the life-altering experience of original EQ.

That's like...I don't know. That's like...eating Buffalo and Blue Cheese Doritos before having the regular Nacho Cheese Doritos, and then claiming that Buffalo and Blue Cheese Doritos are your favorite flavor of Doritos. It's just...wrong.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I found this site post-WoW. I played EQ for about a month in 2000 or 2001. Never got into it mainly because of class, work, woman, etc.

I found this site because I started WoW right before TBC. Fell in love, so I had to read up and research the devs. That led to reading up on their influences (EQ) which lead to reading up on guilds from that era and game design differences which led to FoH.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't find my old list, so it's time to make a new one. Here's my list - in no particular order.
  • Everquest 2 (Vanilla - TSO)
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Super Mario 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Banjo-Tooie (I think people overlook this title because it's a sequel to a a 3D platformer released on a console that was swimming with tons of 3D platformers but holy shit this game was amazing)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics (Entire series, including sequels)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (Best narrative in any game I have ever played)
  • Pokemon Heartgold & Soulsilver
  • Bravely Default
  • Undertale
  • Dark Souls III
Someone get this lil weebo-millennial a juice pack. We need to sit him down and have a talk.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Time the fuck out. You were born in 94? Guess I'm just amazed anyone who wasn't around for EQ during the pre-WoW years ever found this site.

I was never on FoH but I joined EQ2Flames when I was 11 or 12. When that site died, I followed people to Rerolled.

Someone get this lil weebo-millennial a juice pack. We need to sit him down and have a talk.

Bro I ain't even weeb, I just play mostly RPGs. I tried to think of some of the best WRPGs I've played but none of them could really stand with the rest of that list. D:OS has great gameplay and co-op but was very buggy and the narrative sucked. Shadowrun Dragonfall was also extremely buggy. Witcher III has a fantastic narrative but the combat is mediocre. Skyrim is... well, Skyrim. I still really like WRPGs, but they tend to not be nearly as tight/polished as JRPGs which is why I didn't include them in my greatest games list.

• 1Like
  • 1Smuggly

Fadaar

That guy
FIFA Street was dope though! One of my fave sports game. And can't forget NBA Street too dudes!

That reminds me, we played the shit out of NFL Street in college. The 2 on 2 while drinking was always a riot.

Edit: Looking at release dates it was either 1 or 2, can't remember which

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Civ 1 and EQ. For a game to join those two on my list it would have to be groundbreaking and eat up a cumulative ~6-12 months of my life.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intropy

Shit Gamer
I was never on FoH but I joined EQ2Flames when I was 11 or 12. When that site died, I followed people to Rerolled.

Bro I ain't even weeb, I just play mostly RPGs. I tried to think of some of the best WRPGs I've played but none of them could really stand with the rest of that list. D:OS has great gameplay and co-op but was very buggy and the narrative sucked. Shadowrun Dragonfall was also extremely buggy. Witcher III has a fantastic narrative but the combat is mediocre. Skyrim is... well, Skyrim. I still really like WRPGs, but they tend to not be nearly as tight/polished as JRPGs which is why I didn't include them in my greatest games list.

If you need to refer to them as WRPGS instead of just RPGS you weeb bro, live it

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Half-Life 1/2
Civ 2
Fallout 2
SoulsBourne
Doom 2
Planescape
Icewind Dale / Baldur's Gate
Age of Empires 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Shining Force 1+2
Mutant League Football
Master of Monsters
Zelda: Link to the Past
Counter-strike 1.6 and earlier.
Day of Defeat
Zombie Panic Source
Soul Caliber
Master of Orion 2
Battlefield 1942
Heroes of Might and Magic 1-3
Dungeon Keeper
Deus Ex
Bastion (just from an art and music aspect more than anything)
Metal slug (Spent a fuck load of quarters on this game in arcades)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tim

Molten Core Raider
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
Dragon Quest 3/7
Final Fantasy Adventure
Civilization 3

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

The only thing seriously wrong with his list is EQ2. I can overlook the horror of someone putting the Tactics sequels on a greatest ever list, but not EQ2.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
For me Bloodborne is the best action or action RPG of all time. The game is basically perfect and I absolutely love the setting.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The only thing seriously wrong with his list is EQ2. I can overlook the horror of someone putting the Tactics sequels on a greatest ever list, but not EQ2.

The Tactics sequels aren't bad though, they're great. They're not the same game as the original Tactics but they're still fantastic.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After playing Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac-Man etc, walked into the arcade one day, and had my mind blown by this game.

Real nut punch money wise though for a kid. .75 a game, and difficulty was jacked up beyond belief at most arcades. Made for some very short play sessions.

EQ All time favorite to play though.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
Battletoads? Feeling like a God after beating the motorcycle level just to die immediately thereafter :(

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Battletoads? Feeling like a God after beating the motorcycle level just to die immediately thereafter :(

jesus, that level. i remember it being hard when i was 5, but damn! haven't seen it since then. "fuck you" to whatever designers decided it was a good idea to put that level so early in the game.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1SJW