Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Cowbell_foh

shitlord
So if you had 100 people making an MMO, what would the average breakdown be?

1 CEO
10 designers ?
40 coders?
20 engineers?
20 artists?
9 QA ?

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Cowbell said:
So if you had 100 people making an MMO, what would the average breakdown be?

1 CEO
10 designers ?
40 coders?
20 engineers?
20 artists?
9 QA ?
I"d go with
1 Designer
2 coders
3 artists
94 QA

Linbog_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
I"d go with
1 Designer
2 coders
3 artists
94 QA

Cmon you don"t have to exaggerate here:
1 designer, 4 coders, 5 artists and 90 QA

On a slightly more serious note, why does every studio have Test Lead or QA Manager positions advertised and never a Tester or non-lead QA position?

Sunder_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
I"d go with
1 Designer (Brad McQuaid)
2 coders (monkeys)
3 artists (Does Schilling have 3 kids?)
94 QA (The combined active rosters of the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics)

I kid, I kid.

Lanludar_foh

shitlord
Ngruk how did you like coming to WPI last week? I am in the IMGD program here but was unable to make it, shoot me a PM as I would love to hear what you thought.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Please oh please hire plenty of coders. I refuse to play another game where you are told that the coding can"t handle change "such and such."

Cybsled

Senior engineers are important because they know how to move their sentries up when the front moves up on CP maps, they build and maintain teleporters, and they don"t let spies wreck everyone.

Man, I play too much TF2 ;_;

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Linbog said:
Cmon you don"t have to exaggerate here:
1 designer, 4 coders, 5 artists and 90 QA

On a slightly more serious note, why does every studio have Test Lead or QA Manager positions advertised and never a Tester or non-lead QA position?
Because the good to great ones (and the one I am hoping accepts here who is off the charts) find the "non-leads" and testers based on this immeasurably huge contact list they keep.

Great testers are as hard to find as any other person in this industry from what I have learned. People that run these departments have lines into people that are great at this stuff and lean on them heavily.

Their resumes, testers and non-leads, is an indicator of their talent just like anything else.

I know I have no ambition to have our internal team be comprised of people that have never done this before. Being a good tester is a hard job, it"s where the rubber meets the road in the "I"d love to play games for a living" debate.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Apply for entry level QA positions at a local software developer. It"s shit wages and you have to live in expensive areas where companies are located.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Vatoreus said:
but how does one start in the industry? Where can you get your beginning as a tester?
You put in a resume when companies put out calls for testers, which happens a lot. I am sure Danuser and Ryan know where to keep an eye on for this sort of thing.

Cool, I was just honestly curious, because I"m in school right now and hoping to get into the industry when I graduate and was wondering where the best place to start looking was. I know entry level positions and what not, I just never see companies looking for basic QA positions when I"m looking.

holymight_foh

shitlord
Vatoreus said:
Cool, I was just honestly curious, because I"m in school right now and hoping to get into the industry when I graduate and was wondering where the best place to start looking was. I know entry level positions and what not, I just never see companies looking for basic QA positions when I"m looking.
Best bet is to just find a QA position through Indeed (All QA tester jobs | Indeed.com). You might be able to find a party-time job doing tesing as well so you can do it while in university. A lot of QA positions requires specialized knowledge in the field so it won"t be that easy.

Gallenite_foh

shitlord
Vatoreus said:
Here"s a hint that might help:

If you have a local game developer/publisher that you have your eye on, assuming you don"t have any personal contacts there, look up their number, give them a call, and ask to speak to someone in HR.

Alternately, if you need a name first, search game credits (e.g. mobygames) for a recent game they"ve made until you find an HR person"s name. Most larger companies list everyone and their dog in the credits.

Ask that person which temp agency they use to staff their QA/CS/other entry-level dept that interests you, then contact the temp agency directly.

Good luck.

Gallenite_foh

shitlord
Cowbell said:
So can I assume that since Scott posted in Curt"s thread that he will be lead designer for 38 studios ?
Please only assume that Scott continues to read these boards and still enjoys offering random tips to people where he can.

While I was at SOE, I"d have (generally) PMed the answer. I"ve done that a dozen or so times with other industry-type questions, instead of posting in non-EQ2 threads.

But, since I"m no longer employed by "the competition," I don"t mind posting in any thread that I damn well feel like.

(And I suspect that Curt wouldn"t have minded either way.)

Cowbell_foh

shitlord
Perhaps I should have just put a big smiley at the end of my last post. I really didn"t think you would be working for Curt based on posting on his thread.