Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Twobit_sl

shitlord
It was featured in a Toyota commercial for goodness sake. It doesn"t get much more mainstream than that. It"s on par with Halo 3 being on a Burger King cup.

Column_sl

shitlord
Rayne I think you are losing this battle. WoW is definitely mainstream. Cartoons spoof it. It has multiple commercials in primetime,and it has the Shatner effect!

Twobit_sl

shitlord
An entire Southpark episode. Is Southpark not mainstream?
Major car manufacturer commercial. Is Toyota not mainstream?
Mr. T. Jean Claude Van Damme. Vern Troyer. William Shatner. Are they not huge household names - i.e. mainsteam?

Yeah, as far as video games go WoW is as mainstream as it gets. The game has sold more copies than the 360 has sold total units.

This is a stupid argument anyway.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
column said:
Rayne I think you are losing this battle. WoW is definitely mainstream. Cartoons spoof it. It has multiple commercials in primetime,and it has the Shatner effect!
One mmo being heavily advertised on television by a company that certainly has the means to do it, in NO WAY constitutes the entire genre of mmos as "mainstream". I see that ad for Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 about 100x more frequently than a WoW reference.

We can visit this subject again when the theres as many mmo references on tv as there are console game references.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Rayne said:
OMG! IT WAS ON TV!!!

By that logic, everything onthis siteis a mainstream product destined for greatness LOL
There"s a difference. WOW is an established product with an established company behind it. As seen on TV crap are all new products, however the "As seen on TV" is a mainstream brand though.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Rayne said:
One mmo being heavily advertised on television by a company that certainly has the means to do it, in NO WAY constitutes the entire genre of mmos as "mainstream". I see that ad for Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 about 100x more frequently than a WoW reference.

We can visit this subject again when the theres as many mmo references on tv as there are console game references.
There are as many WOW commercials during a NFL football game than there are normal console games. If not more.

It depends on what TV audience market you"re watching. But I don"t see a major car manufacturer partnering up with any other video game to target folks during an NFL game. Do you know what kind of people are watching NFL games? This fall, watch an NFL game and trying to see what kind of products they are targeting during it. Beer, Cars, Sex... and WOW?

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
There"s a difference. WOW is an established product with an established company behind it. As seen on TV crap are all new products, however the "As seen on TV" is a mainstream brand though.
Dude, a fucking "one trick pony" doesn"t constitute a mainstream product line. You said "mmos are going mainstream". They"re not.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Rayne said:
Dude, a fucking "one trick pony" doesn"t constitute a mainstream product line. You said "mmos are going mainstream". They"re not.
MMOs arn"t mainstream? Are you kidding? Even if you take away WOW, how many games out there are all done online?

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
MMOs arn"t mainstream? Are you kidding? Even if you take away WOW, how many games out there are all done online?
What does being done online have to do with anything? If you took away WoW, what would you be left with? A vague reference to EverQuest in some 8ish year old movie?

Now you could say that WoW is "the closest" to mainstream by using mainstream promotional venues, but to claim that the entire genre of mmos is mainstream merely by association is ridiculous.

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Tangent time from the genre wars:

If I were 38 studios, and I were friendly with SOE and my game was 2- 2 1/2 years from completion I think I"d leverage the PS3 and build the game on it.

The PS3 is much, much bigger in Asia than the 360, which is a more hardcore MMO market. In 2 years it"ll be bigger than the 360 worldwide, easily, and since it"s hardware is far superior in terms of reliability and expansion it"d be a good testing fit.

The PS/SOE people are now one. I"m sure they are keen to have a knockout MMO on their product. Unfortunately, none of what SOE offers is that great. The Agency has a chance for goodness, but who knows?

Twobit_sl

shitlord
MMOs generated over $1B in subscription revenue last year. That number is only going to go up. That doesn"t even count box sales and free MMOs or micro-transactions.

The genre is here, it"s huge and it"s not going away any time soon.

Column_sl

shitlord
Rayne said:
What does being done online have to do with anything? If you took away WoW, what would you be left with? A vague reference to EverQuest in some 8ish year old movie?

Now you could say that WoW is "the closest" to mainstream by using mainstream promotional venues, but to claim that the entire genre of mmos is mainstream merely by association is ridiculous.
What about the StarWars MMO they had commercials as well on mainstream tv.

WOW is exactly like the UFC. Just like the UFC made all the MMA leagues mainstream, WOW makes the whole MMO scene mainstream.Thats just how it works.

Rezz_foh

shitlord
Yeah MMOs are mainstream now. It was undergroundish with EQ and similar ilk, but with so many millions people playing it all over the place, it"s fairly well known now. It may not be as mainstream as say... professional football or something, but when you see commercials for it being referenced on TV more than a few times as well as it"s joke being used on radio stations (seriously, fuck leeroy imo.) it"s definitely big enough to be called mainstream. All those kinds of games are gonna get better numbers than we"ve previously seen as time goes on.

Column_sl

shitlord
There was a really funny episode of Big Bang Theory were they reference WOW.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?umid=165749"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?umid=165749" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

Rayne_foh

shitlord
column said:
What about the StarWars MMO they had commercials as well on mainstream tv.

WOW is exactly like the UFC. Just like the UFC made all the MMA leagues mainstream, WOW makes the whole MMO scene mainstream.Thats just how it works.
You"re ignoring the difference. Did seeing a StarWars mmo commercial cause a million people to run out and start buying mmos. No. And neither did WoW. It merely exposed those "specific" mmos to a broader promotional audience. Did it improve the sales of all mmos? No. Did it cause a massive surge in the mmo genre? No.

Did watching the UFC make a million people want to watch another similar program? Yes. Did watching the WWE make people want to watch TNA? Yes. But what it DIDN"T do, is make a million people want to run out and participate.

Column_sl

shitlord
Rayne said:
You"re ignoring the difference. Did seeing a StarWars mmo commercial cause a million people to run out and start buying mmos. No. And neither did WoW. It merely exposed those "specific" mmos to a broader promotional audience. Did it improve the sales of all mmos? No. Did it cause a massive surge in the mmo genre? No.

Did watching the UFC make a million people want to watch another similar program? Yes. Did watching the WWE make people want to watch TNA? Yes. But what it DIDN"T do, is make a million people want to run out and participate.
MMA leagues got a huge spike in ticket sales since dana white took over the UFC and made it primetime.

I"m not sure on the WOW thing since they have been advertising. I"m sure it made alot of people that weren"t playing curious.

Either way MMOs are mainstream now. WOW is just the only one that is successful.