Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What do you use to draw those? Ink + scan + color, Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter?

Blackulaa_foh

shitlord
Pretty much variations of everything you said. No Painter though Color in PS.

Could be way better but we are banging these out daily so they don"t get the extra details they could.

I still think we trying to up the ante art wise for web comics, I can"t speak for our writing :p

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You should definitely get Painter, it"s bad ass.

And I"m assuming you have a tablet of some kind?

Slick Willey_foh

shitlord
imready2go said:
And why do we have to hear "we won"t release until it"s ready" for the billionth time when we all know it"s a lie? Games aren"t released when they"re ready - they"re released when the accountants say, "Holy shit, we"re broke!"
True. I"d be interested in hearing Curt"s thoughts on Mark Jacob"s recent pronouncement that you need $100 million if you even want to compete with WoW.

Havelock_foh

shitlord
Slick Willey said:
True. I"d be interested in hearing Curt"s thoughts on Mark Jacob"s recent pronouncement that you need $100 million if you even want to compete with WoW.
My guess: Curt"s thoughts are "Oh, is that all? God bless this pitching arm and all that hard work."

But that"s just a guess. I assume he has other investors involved, anyway. That"s a lot of risk for any individual to shoulder.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Slick Willey said:
Considering Curt has $40 million to support his company until the perfectly ideal sponsor/publisher/funding body is found, I"d imagine his response would be "The funding isn"t the issue with 38 Studios, it"s the process. That, and keeping all you whiny brats out of our hair."

I may have elaborated a bit.

Ngruk said:
Here"s a thought, just a little one at that, don"t click on the thread dude. The only way you are "forced" to read it is by you making the conscious decision to click on it, and read.

Ya, I still have no real news. Would love to, but don"t, well can"t more than don"t.

FWIW I am getting a bit more psyched about the launch of WHO.........
I never complained about being forced to read this thread. I just offered an explanation about why this thread which is about your and our company seems to be getting special treatment despite the reality that there is very little actual substantive information about your products. If you are not prepared to talk about anything then that"s completely understandable and refreshingly commendable. (For what it"s worth, if you read my other post in another thread you will see that I am very interested in your upcoming MMO and I suggested that you should have made the Top 10 List for most influential people in MMOs today. Heck, I"m not a detractor but in fact an enthusiastic supporter. )

It"s not unreasonable to believe that gamers genuinely come to discussion forums to get information on MMOs. When I see your name in the title and the name of your company I expect to see some relevant discussion. When I don"t see any I"m disappointed and I believe others are as well. So forgive me for wanting to click on a thread about an upcoming MMO.

The fact is that you and your employees keep coming to this thread and contributing to it which gives it official approbation yet keeps it perpetually bumped and in the public eye. If your intent is to shoot the breeze and say nothing of consequence then that"s all fine and well -- there are many other threads where that can be achieved. But why do it in a thread where people have a legitimate expectation of viewing some authoritative information about your game?

I would respectfully ask you this Mr. Schilling: if 38 Studios is not ready to release information about your game(s) then what is the purpose of this thread existing many years before the projected release of your game?

Thank you.

Zeste_foh

shitlord
Old Man Potter said:
I would respectfully ask you this Mr. Schilling: if 38 Studios is not ready to release information about your game(s) then what is the purpose of this thread existing many years before the projected release of your game?

Thank you.
Are you fucking kidding me? Hopefully someone else wants to take the energy to point out the finer retarded qualities of your statement.

This is why we can"t have nice things.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Old Man Potter said:
It"s not unreasonable to believe that gamers genuinely come to discussion forums todiscussMMOs.
Fixed.

This isn"t a blog or a news site. New information isn"t aggregated to the top of the pile.

I"m also curious what special treatment he is getting. Obviously there arecock suckersin this thread, but so what? They exist for every MMO. Is it the comics inspired in part by the thread? What control would you like expressed over them? "No quality cock sucking allowed, only the bleeting of sheep and teeth gnashing of trolls is to be permitted!"

I don"t see where you get the notion that people have a legitimate expectation of finding information in this or any other thread here. I think they have a legitimate expectation of finding a FoH style rant/counter-rant slapfest with the rare informative post thrown in at a 1:100 ratio.

He didn"t even create the thread, so why does he have to explain why it exists? He"s just participating in it, and given that his name and his company are the claimed subject of the thread, I think he should have every right to. Shouldn"t he be allowed to face his accusers?

This thread has moved from one subject to another, and has been a catch-all for wishful thinking, theorizing, and protest in relation to the current state of the MMO industry. While 38 Studios has remained a vague, intangible focus for most of the thread, Curt has rarely defined the subject himself. Most of the time it is free-form bullshit like your post and mine.

Grave_foh

shitlord
There"s plenty of substance to this thread for those of us who are interested in the company and what it"s like to brave the waters and take on the daunting task of creating an MMO, and beyond that, a brand new IP, from scratch. There has been a great deal of information that I was able to read about in this thread before I saw it posted anywhere else, and that is a very cool thing.

In some cases the thread has derailed into some great discussions about game design choices and preferences, the hardships of new MMOs competing with a giant like Blizzard, and various other topics that were arguably more interesting than most of the other top threads on this board.

If you"re not interested in the company, that"s perfectly fine, but some of us are and it has nothing to do with the fact that Curt is behind it and much more to do with the people he has hired and the statements they have released that get people excited. It has nothing to do with giving Curt special treatment.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
The thread was created by a gamer and Curt just happened to respond...as a gamer AND as the owner of said company. The ability for him to jump into this thread and give and take, even without being able to tell us much, gives at least the illusion that he could pile right into a group of us with ease.

It is decidedly different from the other head honchos that have participated in this forum because he isn"t just talking about his game. He is talking about his gaming experience, just like we do. He is learning about new games, like some of the conversations about Eve, and then going and taking a look. Just like most of us do.

From what you can derive from the thread, if you either were with it from the start or actually sat down and read it all at a later date, is that Curt has a very same nerd love for these games that we do.

He got the special love that all new posters get on this forum. He rolled with that love and returned it in kind in many instances.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I think Mark Jacobs made a very good point that companies need to have the resources to cope with the inevitable setbacks that MMOs are going to face when they enter the market. Attemping to make a great, fun, stable, polished game straight out of the box is certainly admirable, but it"s not realistic. Knowing a company has enough resources to delay until it"s ready is a good, but even knowing that have enough resources to fix things after release without it being making the customer pay for the fixes would be good also.

Quince_foh

shitlord
Old Man Potter said:
I never complained about being forced to read this thread. I just offered an explanation about why this thread which is about your and our company seems to be getting special treatment despite the reality that there is very little actual substantive information about your products.
Special treatment? So is the FoH mods bumping up this thread just so they can get "leet infoz" from curt or are people discussing topics in the thread and thus keeping it up top? I would read the rest of what you said but I stopped right there.

(yawns)
Old Man Potter =
attention.jpg

attention.jpg

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Faille said:
I think Mark Jacobs made a very good point that companies need to have the resources to cope with the inevitable setbacks that MMOs are going to face when they enter the market. Attempting to make a great, fun, stable, polished game straight out of the box is certainly admirable, but it"s not realistic.
The flaws in this comment are just, well they"re just wrong. This is how the normal everyday business world thinks, and in many cases it"s why things happen the way they happen.

Will our product be perfect? Nope. Will it be flawless? Probably not.

Will it be fun? Damn well better be.

Will it be stable? How on earth could I spend the huge amount of money I am and then launch an unstable game? That just cannot happen and the bigger point is that we have the say in WHEN it happens.

Will it be polished? Hell yes it will. We don"t have ANYONE breathing down our necks to hit a release date.

Here"s the thing. Doing what I did for a living, meant to me that no one on earth was ever harder on me than me. This is no different, they all get that. If we don"t fall over with excitement and passion about this thing we"re f"ing it up, and we wont CONTINUE TO F IT UP when/if we ever realize that. You course correct.

Necrolyte_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
The flaws in this comment are just, well they"re just wrong. This is how the normal everyday business world thinks, and in many cases it"s why things happen the way they happen.

Will our product be perfect? Nope. Will it be flawless? Probably not.

Will it be fun? Damn well better be.

Will it be stable? How on earth could I spend the huge amount of money I am and then launch an unstable game? That just cannot happen and the bigger point is that we have the say in WHEN it happens.

Will it be polished? Hell yes it will. We don"t have ANYONE breathing down our necks to hit a release date.

Here"s the thing. Doing what I did for a living, meant to me that no one on earth was ever harder on me than me. This is no different, they all get that. If we don"t fall over with excitement and passion about this thing we"re f"ing it up, and we wont CONTINUE TO F IT UP when/if we ever realize that. You course correct.
I"m equally harsh on everyone so don"t take this the wrong way. Making comments like those is the right thing to do from a developer; however, to actually produce those outcomes is a different story. Saying your product will be "hell yes" polished, and saying you won"t continue to "F things up" if things go wrong is all fine and dandy, but until we see the goods, it"s just commentary and wishful thinking.

Having seen Blizzard"s talent, "infinite" funding and worked with them first-hand, even they had to face reality a lot of times when WoW approached launch and a lot of things were simply dropped and cut for later (e.g. Battlegrounds/Arenas), and a lot of mistakes were made that impacted "fun factor" or stability.

Even though no one is breathing down your necks, you do have a legitimate window of time from start of development to release to capture fans" attention and then sell them on the product then earn their loyalty. You don"t see Blizzard taking 10 years on a game right? There are headaches with hardware cycles, etc, etc. It"s a fine balance between choosing to delay the game further, or to settle for 90% polish and 90% fun-factor.

Prepare and expect the worse: let the fans and subscribers of your game tell you about your game. Don"t tell us how your game will be XYZ until you can give us the opportunity to give you feedback on the actual game.

Grave_foh

shitlord
So, yeah, forever ago in this thread we were discussing problems with loot on raids, and how the job system or an "heirloom" system would be a great way for people to remain excited about running raids after they"ve already gotten what they need for their main class.

Apparently, someone at Blizzard read it or had the same idea.
Account Wide - Level scaled items
A new type of items has been added to the game.

* These items are Bind To Account items, you can transfer them between characters !
* These items scale with level, a level 1 character can perfectly use it and stats will scale accordingly !
* In the current beta build, you can buy them with tokens from raid dungeons
* They are not unique.
How cool would it be if we actually influenced this?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I imagine a lot of people have been having the same conversation for some time, but it"s nice to see our wishful thinking becoming reality regardless.

They"re effectively making leveling 4-5x easier than it was in the olden days with the XP changes and these BoA items. Melee will always have a good, updated weapon, casters can get some +SP, and everyone will look fucking cool.

I would still appreciate the option of starting a new character from a higher level, but this is helpful.