Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Wodin_foh

shitlord
*grumble* *grumble* Had to shut down my Twins for the Mayor"s Cup, didn"t you? At least we made it a little interesting at the end. *grumble*

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Cadrid said:
I am, literally, asleep right now, so sorry for typos/lack of questions.

Q1-Most MMORPGs only focus on combat on foot, largely ignoring mounted, aerial, and seafaring battle mechanics. Have you discussed the viability of such additions to the game?

Q2-Is there any interest in bringing 38 Studios" first title to consoles as well as PCs? If so, will PC players and console players be on the same servers, or separate ones?

Q3-What kind of ESRB rating will you be shooting for with your premier title?

Q4-Any word on whom is doing the musical scores? Will you be using digital music software, or going the route of having a live orchestra?

Q5-What is your opinion on user-generated content in an MMO? Do you think it"s feasible, or would it be more costly (time, resources, and money) than just getting your in-house crew to develop new content?

Q6-You"ve done an awesome job keeping in touch with your early fans. Sure, you can"t comment a lot on the game yet, but you"ve kept the discussions going. Will this fount of information and idea sharing dry up as the production of your game goes into full production?

Q7-March is almost over. When will the new 38 Studios site be up and running? Can we expect anything new on it that wasn"t on the old GMG site?

Q8-Your time in professional sports has helped you build a charisma and aptitude for teamwork and bringing folks together under a united cause. Since you seek to bring that expertise to bear in helping 38 Studios succeed, how will you go about fostering such camaraderie with the dev team? Will your physical presence be used, or will a less personal approach (guidelines, forms, etc.) be taken?

Q9-Appealing to players around the world can be a very difficult task, where everything from graphical nit-picks to server locations takes time and effort to implement and perfect. Do you feel 38 Studios is, honestly, ready to dive in, head-first, with such hurdles in its way? Or will you focus primarily on the North American market first, then extend your influence abroad further on in 38 Studios" lifetime?

Q10-Your contact with the community has been not only appreciated but staggeringly consistent. Do you anticipate a need to, personally, cut back on your PR outings once things ramp up at 38 Studios? Are Moorgard and/or Blackguard jealous you won"t let them handle the ravenous fans yet?

(Edited, twice, for added questions)
1) Yes
2) Yes 2B) Seperate
3) You don"t need gore, sex, nudity and adult violence to make an awesome game.
4) Yes 4B)No comment as of now
5)That depends on what you are making really, and whether it fits. Putting it in just to have it sucks, if it fits it"s awesome.
6) No
7) 2 weeks 7B) Yes
8) I can"t really go into detail but yes, I think the time spent over the last 30 years of my life, playing team sports, will absolutely have a positive effect on the company.
8b) Both
9) Absolutely 9B) I don"t think you can. I think ANY market that has to enter into your product days, weeks, months, after the initial launch is a market you are telling "You aren"t as important to us as those people". I think that"s a losing gameplan. I also think you can avoid the mistakes by paying attention to who"s screwed it up, and how, in the past as well as incredibly detailed and thorough planning and preperation from the outset, which we are doing. In a couple years, when we do launch our first title, there will also be a VASTLY different market in which to bring your games to market with. It used to be you NEEDED an EA, an SOE or another big publisher to reach even the U.S. market, much less a global one. That"s the case less and less now, in addition to the fact that to have that kind of partnership, in some cases, it costs you an arm and a leg to do so. If the partnership is right, and you can find a publisher that wants to work WITH you, instead of having you work FOR them, by all means I think you go for it. If you have the capability, and the talent to do it through other strategic partnerships then that"s a pretty good gig as well.
10) No 10B) Hell no.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
I have a question. How many teammates do you have (or have had) who play MMOs as well? What about non-teammates in MLB, or just celebrities in general that you mingle with?

I"m a fan already, <3 Munch , so I got a Tshirt =P

Faille actually brings up a good point though. The Fan Faires for SoE are actually great community building tools, and a strong sense of community seems to go a long ways with an MMOG =)

KharzaWHA?_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Let us actually get "A" fan before we start thinking along those lines.
No, you"re too late for that. This is the MMO community and you"re actively making noise, albeit quietly. You"ve got fans, probably some skeptics, the whole lot. There"s too much discontent around with the various released games and their respective companies. You"re new, and you haven"t fucked up yet. I find it interesting though, that you don"t seem to think you deserve fans yet. Don"t know what it means though, I"m too young and inexperienced. Or if it"s even worth paying attention to. Anyway, the question isn"t whether or not you have "A" fan, or even really how many.

The question, is whether or not you"ll keep them.

Fog_foh

shitlord
KharzaWHA? said:
No, you"re too late for that. This is the MMO community and you"re actively making noise, albeit quietly. You"ve got fans, probably some skeptics, the whole lot. There"s too much discontent around with the various released games and their respective companies. You"re new, and you haven"t fucked up yet. I find it interesting though, that you don"t seem to think you deserve fans yet. Don"t know what it means though, I"m too young and inexperienced. Or if it"s even worth paying attention to. Anyway, the question isn"t whether or not you have "A" fan, or even really how many.

The question, is whether or not you"ll keep them.
This post is serious business!

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
hey curt, can i get some sox tickets (kidding- i have a client who gives my company several games worth of his season tickets- 6 rows behind the sox dugout(instead of paying his bill))

Q more wins this year, you, Dice-K or beckett?

i got moorgard"s email and stuff so expect a few questions shot over his way, and i might contact someone in your co for a q&a visit in my copious freetime since i live ~30 miles from your offices.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I think thats a sign that Curt"s smarter than Brad. They don"t have a product yet, so no, they don"t really have any fans yet. We"ve all seen what happens when you build the hype up too early.

But then again, maybe it was a good idea to have a fanguard before the game was even ready, since I doubt there will be another opportunity to have another.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Angry Amadeus said:
(David Caruso in the background, pinning his shades to the bridge of his nose)
Oh man, this made me laugh out loud. Perfect.

Goonsquad Officer
You officially kick ass Curt. I haven"t been following the thread as much as other folks in here, but it"s really awesome that you"re communicating about stuff.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Sorry for jumping into this late, but am just curious. Exactly what kind of market are you looking at with your first game? Something niche, or more general?

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Maxxius said:
Sorry for jumping into this late, but am just curious. Exactly what kind of market are you looking at with your first game? Something niche, or more general?
Copy/Pasted from Curt"s blog:

Q&amp;A VI said:
Q-What kind of audience are you seeking to grab with GMG?s game? The casual (5-10 hrs/wk playtime), the moderate (11-20 hrs/wk), the hardcore (21+ hrs/wk), and/or are you focusing more on play styles (soloers vs. small groups vs. raiders) and/or the type of play (PvE vs. PvP)?

A-I think WoW proved and disproved an immense amount of theories in this area. You can certainly shoot for one of these, but it?s not impossible, hell it?s been done, to go out and get avid fans and players from them all if you do it right.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Well a somewhat non-committal answer, but seems like it implies he is aiming more for a larger, wider audience.

Of the many Brad wall of text posts, one that caught my interest involved his prediction of areas of growth in the genre. I truly can see, say a sports MMO for example, performing well. The hardest part will always be in staying with the market. One of the problems of this genre is that it does takes years to develop these products, and while at the start there is a market for a particular product, it loses the market"s interest by the time it is released.

I sincerely believe that these websites are an important tool for any game developer since you can continue to gain the pulse of the market. Of course how one approaches them (i.e., a Brad style which seems to generate strong and even angry responses versus a Gallente or Nino one which seems to generate more respectful responses), is important.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Maxxius said:
Well a somewhat non-committal answer, but seems like it implies he is aiming more for a larger, wider audience.
Agreed. And I think thats a pretty important goal to shoot for. Because niche games require a much more critical "subscriber per development dollar" ratio in order to succeed. And coming up short prolongs the future development of the game.