Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
tad10 said:
I"m suprised you even bothered to comment on my post but since you did...

Curt you are a big boy. A very big boy. You are CEO of a company that is building an MMO. MMO players are notoriously hot-headed, drunk, irritable, introverted, spastic, occasionally high, and generally some of the meanest

You have got to have a thicker skin if you"re going to read these or any boards with regularity. people on the net.

Finally, as too internet machismo: something we _all_ do now and then right? Aka Pot meet Kettle and etc.
First things first. Steve, do not come into my office to talk to me tomorrow about this post, because I will have already had this discussion internally. I know exactly what you are going to say, and why, and you"re right.

Next. The main problem I have with people like this, is that the prefacing of their comments with "You know us, we"re all rude, loud mouthed idiot acting self absorbed blah blahs. What we do is stupid, we don"t think , we yell when we shouldn"t", whatever. You acknowledge, openly, that what you are doing or saying is flawed, then you do it or say it anyway, as if that prefacing comment makes it all ok. Well to me it doesn"t and it has ZERO to do with skin thickness. In a locker room of 25 guys for 20+ years you either develop Devilsaur hide, or you go home and cry each night because "guys are picking on you".

Oh and to the machismo thing, speak for yourself. In my line of work your "machismo" talking and "bravado" are on public display, nightly. If you are going to talk the talk, and you don"t walk the walk, a few million ESPN viewers will sit there and say "what an ass".

Oh I"ve talked, but I"ve never disrespected what I do for a living. I"ve made mistakes, but I don"t get the keyboard muscle thing. The thing that makes people throw around f bombs like others do "the". It must be a mentality because I can literally go all winter without cussing once, and on the flight down to spring training I"ll start spewing F bombs with each breath. But I don"t do it in public, except when I am on the mound but that"s not really public though, and I view this forum, and all of these forums, as public. Short of the cussing I may have done somewhere, I don"t post things here I wouldn"t say in public, check out my blog. I get a kick of the people that DO post things here we all 100% know for matter of fact they won"t say in public because it"s disingenuous and real real fake.

tad10 said:
And we"re also mostly guys (well barring players of those cake and horse themed MMOs) which means that throughout our life we have both given and received a lot of shit.
Even though I am sure the comment was tongue in cheek, the comment about female gamers shows a lack of humor, or horribly ignorant knowledge of the current MMO population world wide.

And to add, seriously, what does the second part mean? When have you ever "taken shit"? I mean what defines that for you? Another MMO player taking offense with a post of yours? That? If that defines it for you then it"s you that has thin skin, not me.

tad10 said:
You must have seen the threads with VG and EQ and EQ2 and even WoW. You must have read some of the venom spewed at Smed or Brad or pick-your-dev or GM or Blizzard CS rep or etc.

So I"m certainly not going to apologize for writing what I felt about that presentation. It was completely non-substantive and frankly a little self-congratulatory. Y"all have ever right to sit around and congratulate yourselves on whatever milestones you"ve reached but using that as marketing is frankly a turn off. I would have said the same thing if Bioware had made that kind of presentation. It"s perfectly understandable that you don"t want to release information but it"s better to just follow the rules of fight club and not talk about it until you guys are ready to deliver something substantive.
No need to apologize, none at all, this is an open internet forum and thread that was around long before I got here. I was interested in an open discussion with the harder core segment of the player base of a game we are developing. I have been in forums since the GENIE days so give and take is expected and asked for when someone in my position steps into this.

However, while I am proud as hell of this team and their accomplishments, I haven"t come here to make you buy our product, or buy into our IP by telling you how great they all are, I am a gamer first and foremost, always have been, and I get that "hype machine" game many developers play. I"ve also been burned by it. I would like to think that if you read back through this thread there are many examples of some great conversation around topics of relevance to what we are doing. There are also some total asshat comments that add nothing more than space to this thread, I"d love to eliminate the latter, and get more of the former when possible.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
There just isn"t enough internets in the world to give Curt his due.

I don"t care if your game actually is Easy Bake Oven Online, I"ll buy 4 copies.

spronk_foh

shitlord
i"d like to learn more about the easy bake MMO, will it be an option to roll an evil faction who themselves are unable to bake, and therefore must steal cakes from other bakers in order to level up? of course there will be a random chance the evil M.O.M. will come and 1-shot you when stealth ninja"ing a cake.

p.s. brownies are OP

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Twobit Whore said:
There just isn"t enough internets in the world to give Curt his due.

I don"t care if your game actually is Easy Bake Oven Online, I"ll buy 4 copies.
Twobit liking a gaming CEO is like Utnayan loving Brad McQuaid.

I foreshadow Schilling"s internets exploding.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Ngruk said:
And to add, seriously, what does the second part mean? When have you ever "taken shit"?
There are also some total asshat comments that add nothing more than space to this thread, I"d love to eliminate the latter, and get more of the former when possible.

(1) You still haven"t responded to my criticism of your presentation. It wasn"t substantive. It was self-congratulatory. It was a waste of my time to watch. And I was deservedly pissed off for having had my time wasted.

(2) Taking shit? You think that you"ve taken a lot of shit? Your perception of reality vis-a-vis shit taking is seriously distorted Mr. Schilling. You are a successful athlete and head of a company and have (as far as I know) always been quite successful. Generally people in your position are the ones that hand out shit -- such as your post above. The people who take shit are those who don"t have millions in the bank, who don"t have rabid screaming fans, who can"t start companies to follow their dreams. Real life shit is having a partner in a law firm screaming at you because he can. But I recognize that the shit I"ve taken isn"t that deep. You know who"s taken way more shit than me? That illegal alien who is working for sub-minimum wage as he is cutting the grass on the apartment complex where I live. That soldier in Iraq is taking hella more shit than me. There are a lot of people in this world who"ve taken more, a lot more shit, than me but you are not one of them.

(3) You are indeed here to market your game which is to say you are indeed here to sell your product. I have no problem with that. I am happy to see real life developers talking about their real life products. While you may have come to FoH initially as an EQ player you are seen now as an MMO developer and you, AFAIK, seem to have no issue with stepping into that role (and you seem to imply such in you post).

(4) Sent you a PM re: #4.

I wish you the best of luck with your game -- the world needs a new great MMO and maybe your company will be the one to make it. I look forward to hearing something substantive about it in the future.

Dymus_foh

shitlord
It"s far more interesting talking about game philosophy or doing another rant about pricing and business models...

38 Studios won"t be saying anything serious about the game until the time is right to do so. However, that doesn"t stop people from asking or wanting to know something about what the people making the game are like. That tactic can give some insight into what might come out at the end. MMO"s are made by teams, so getting to know that team may not a waste of time if there is interest in what that group of people may create.

Now, if we can get back to the discussion of good and bad things in MMO"s. With the random thoughts, rants, and savant like insights it is a lot more entertaining and a lot easier to blatantly rip the good out and put it somewhere that it can make a difference.

Admit it Tad, you just hate cake...

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
How to figure out who won an internet argument.

Step 1. Count World Series Rings of either participant. (Super Bowl Rings are also acceptable, Stanley Cups however are not)

Step 2. Have cake.

Bellstian_foh

shitlord
I seriously don"t understand Tad"s criticism. Didn"t they promise to give that presentation beforehand...and it turned out they weren"t far enough along to release ip info at the time?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Dymus said:
Admit it Tad, you just hate cake...
Pie is where it is at...

Edit:
Loci: That may be what happened. I don"t know, but I"ll assume you"re correct. However, if they couldn"t release direct IP info there are some other things they could have done (and throwing in a cake slide or two would have been fine with somethinig even mildly substantive). For example -- talking about their philosophy of development (example is Pardo"s comment about how they initially developed WoW in a small area before going for massive content). Things they liked about previous MMOs. Whether grind would be a part. I guess I believe, perhaps incorrectly, that they could talk about something without actually touching on the IP (e.g. class/race/combat system).

Zhakran_foh

shitlord
Lleauaric~EW said:

Step 1. Count World Series Rings of either participant. (Super Bowl Rings are also acceptable, Stanley Cups however are not)

Step 2. Have cake.
Step 1: See who plays Vanguard and who doesn"t.

Step 2: Cake.

Havelock_foh

shitlord
Lleauaric~EW said:

Step 2. Have cake.
Best metric ever.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
tad10 said:
Edit:
Loci: That may be what happened. I don"t know, but I"ll assume you"re correct [Rest Is Irrelevant.]
Yes, it is. Stop being such a purposefully abrasive jackass. If you"re going to bring "it" to "The Man" at least back it up with some kind of substance. No one here finds your mudslinging bickering impressive or interesting, just obnoxious and childish. Bring the tough questions all you like, but stop derailing this thread with your petty, unsubstantiated whining.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Lleauaric~EW said:

Step 2. Have cake.
Rings won in Madden count right?

Surlok TP_foh

shitlord
Cadrid said:
Yes, it is. Stop being such a purposefully abrasive jackass. If you"re going to bring "it" to "The Man" at least back it up with some kind of substance. No one here finds your mudslinging bickering impressive or interesting, just obnoxious and childish. Bring the tough questions all you like, but stop derailing this thread with your petty, unsubstantiated whining.
Curt could have easily ignored it, or was that what he was hinting at in regards to the Steve comment?

I often read these posts where the Deves come in or CEO"s or whatever and I feel like they are put on this pedestal,we want them here so don"t piss them off, careful what you say. The comments about you wouldn"t say this in real life are unfounded, plenty of us here live lives where that kind of talk and criticism is common place so it"s very true that they would say that sort of thing, I toss around fuck constantly with my bosses in arguments and get yelled at and belittled and pass it back on an almost daily basis. Not saying so much that Tad is and I am not really trying to defend him either as that particular discussion maybe isn"t on topic at least in the over all spirit of the thread. Some of us here are not lawyers or or IT guys or whatever, we are just regular folk working regular jobs and in the regular world people treat each other like shit, and I find it hard to believe that doesn"t happen in the professional world either.

Just if they are going to come here and post under the front that they are not trying to sell something, then they need to come off the pedestal and realize they are going to be treated like regular folk here. If they are coming in and showing us a sneak peak at their product as a sort of advertisement, then maybe we can offer them some respect I suppose, I dunno. I would love to be in the position Curt is in at least in regards to the MMO thing, not such a fan of Baseball and the Stanley Cup being exempt cut me deep... Because of admiring the position I to put him on a little pedestal, I am just seeing posts form people defending him and defending him against Tad"s comments , knowing full well these same people have made comments regarding others and others games and who knows what else that were just as negative and often (subjectively) just as unfounded.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Surlok TP said:
You"re wasting your breath. If anyone else came here with 0 releases under their belt and tried to do the same they"d be laughed off and "shawed so quick it"d be ridiculous.

Me? I like Schilling"s skill with a baseball. If I were drafting a team and if he was 20 years younger, he"d be among my first picks. Well, maybe after Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Johnson, and Clemens. But he"d be up there. Hell of a gamer, especially in the playoffs. But when I look for MMO stuff, I"m not sure why I"m supposed to be sucking his dick. Each persons choice I guess. I"ll choose to wait out a 2 year old thread until there"s a build of some sort before judging.

As for Tad, I just have a small piece of plagarized advice:

There are a lot of bad people in MMO"s, Xxxxx Xxxxx, Zzzzz Zzzz to name a few. People with so little skill in their profession that they need to speculate, make up, fabricate, to write something interesting enough to be printed. What makes them bad people? I am sure I cannot nail the exact reason, but I know some. Jealousy, bitterness, the need to be "different", I am sure there are others, but those are the ones I know off hand. You just kind of have to realize that there are people that don"t like you and, unfortunately, sometimes those people have a voice, disliking me probably matches my dislike for him, but I have a problem with people who don"t have integrity and principle, so that stuff happens. You just kind of just have to let it go.

The person who I"m paraphrasing is quite clearly the second coming of Socrates. We should all heed his wisdom.

Fadaar

That guy
Jait said:
Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz
logotransparent.png

ftw

Jerkinder_foh

shitlord
I am kind of the opposite. Someone new to the gaming industry with such a huge budget can bring many innovations to the table. With someone who has been around for a long time, they just have a method of doing things and not thinking out of the circle. I have not posted in this thread before but I"ve been following it and I HOPE Curt releases a block buster that have many good mechanics never seen in previous games.

Fadaar

That guy
Comments on this User
fuck you david justice

LOL thanks whoever posted that. I swear though, that 1995 Indians team... I go back and look at that lineup and it"s frightening.