Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Quince_foh

shitlord
I guess they don"t want to over hype it because the game is still over 2 years away. They want to build the excitement all the way up to release and don"t want to "burn people out" too fast.

Plus with it so early in the development cycle they don"t want to say something like Ship Battles! then not have it in game due to time or money concerns.

Citten_foh

shitlord
Quince said:
I guess they don"t want to over hype it because the game is still over 2 years away. They want to build the excitement all the way up to release and don"t want to "burn people out" too fast.

Plus with it so early in the development cycle they don"t want to say something like Ship Battles! then not have it in game due to time or money concerns.
I just want the setting, I don"t know what you"re talking about and your analogy is fucking retarded. I"m talking about SETTING the most generic piece of crumb releasable.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Citten said:
I really don"t see why holding back on announcing the setting is a huge concern.
Because their aim isn"t to make mincemeat of their announcement; they want to kick it off with a bang, bringing on a whole new deluge of questions and speculation. If they can"t give out the name, the setting, the overall goal and some completed examples of how their game is going to kick other games" collective ass what"s the point? It would just serve to psyche up the McFarlane/MMO/Salvatore/Schilling fanboys without really drawing any interest from a broader audience.

Citten_foh

shitlord
Cadrid said:
Because their aim isn"t to make mincemeat of their announcement; they want to kick it off with a bang, bringing on a whole new deluge of questions and speculation. If they can"t give out the name, the setting, the overall goal and some completed examples of how their game is going to kick other games" collective ass what"s the point? It would just serve to psyche up the McFarlane/MMO/Salvatore/Schilling fanboys without really drawing any interest from a broader audience.
I dont know what you mean by broader audience at the end there but yeah your post sort of makes sense. On the other side, the company was made 2 years ago. This thread is 290 default pages long. Curt has posted in this thread how many times?

At this point you"re right, it would make sense to hold out for a package of information delivery, but I"m not happy about it. I"m a baby in the crib, i"m crying for my fucking bottle. God damnit.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Citten said:
I dont know what you mean by broader audience at the end there but yeah your post sort of makes sense. On the other side, the company was made 2 years ago. This thread is 290 default pages long. Curt has posted in this thread how many times?

At this point you"re right, it would make sense to hold out for a package of information delivery, but I"m not happy about it. I"m a baby in the crib, i"m crying for my fucking bottle. God damnit.
The "broader audience" is the other 10.5-15.5 million people they"re looking to draw into their game. Curt and company have said on a number of occasions that they"re seeking to be the biggest, best and better than the rest, including Blizzard and WoW. In order to do that, they not only need to appeal to the core MMO gamer, but gamers of all varieties, and perhaps even non-gamers that enjoy fantasy-style stories. Only a miniscule minority of 38 Studio"s attentive audience is willing to take the plunge no matter what happens to be said now, later and at launch.

As for Curt"s involvement in this thread, a good number of his posts have been a result of engaging with the community, asking questions, starting dialogue and getting a feel for what"s important to the experienced MMO gamer; it hasn"t been a slough of "OMG! This game will be so awesome George Zimmer won"t be able to handle it!!1" posts.

I"m guessing you haven"t been following Project Offset, otherwise you"d realize just how well 38 Studios is handling the fervor over their game, and the PR surrounding it.

Rythonn_foh

shitlord
Cuppycake said:
Aw you transferred servers? =(
Speaking of transfers, for the love of god please have a transfer system in place before the game is live or shortly after. Not knowing what it takes behind the scenes to do the transfer, at 25-30 bucks a pop it has to be worth it financially for the company and it is a huge plus the customers. My rant is because my AOC server is dead and instead of paying them 30 bucks to move my character to a better server I am canceling.

Citten_foh

shitlord
Cadrid said:
The "broader audience" is the other 10.5-15.5 million people they"re looking to draw into their game. Curt and company have said on a number of occasions that they"re seeking to be the biggest, best and better than the rest, including Blizzard and WoW. In order to do that, they not only need to appeal to the core MMO gamer, but gamers of all varieties, and perhaps even non-gamers that enjoy fantasy-style stories. Only a miniscule minority of 38 Studio"s attentive audience is willing to take the plunge no matter what happens to be said now, later and at launch.

As for Curt"s involvement in this thread, a good number of his posts have been a result of engaging with the community, asking questions, starting dialogue and getting a feel for what"s important to the experienced MMO gamer; it hasn"t been a slough of "OMG! This game will be so awesome George Zimmer won"t be able to handle it!!1" posts.

I"m guessing you haven"t been following Project Offset, otherwise you"d realize just how well 38 Studios is handling the fervor over their game, and the PR surrounding it.
I didnt know what you meant by broader audience because you already listed:"McFarlane/MMO/Salvatore/Schilling fanboys". There"s not a great deal beyond that..

Don"t put words in my mouth. I"ve been following this title for a while, and I do know how they"re handling the "fervor" of their game. Releasing the setting doesn"t mean they have to release more than that. That"s just you thinking it will make a bigger difference. For instance, they"ve already released concept art, one could take a stab at the genre already. They didn"t come out with a "BANG!" with their information like you suppose they should. They come out with small bits of information. Eventually the setting ensues, it"s very simple.

Citten_foh

shitlord
Citten said:
For instance, they"ve already released concept art, one could take a stab at the genre already. They didn"t come out with a "BANG!" with their information like you suppose they should. They come out with small bits of information. Eventually the setting ensues, it"s very simple.
And Curt just posted more up top, further solidifying my point.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Citten said:
I didnt know what you meant by broader audience because you already listed:"McFarlane/MMO/Salvatore/Schilling fanboys". There"s not a great deal beyond that..

Don"t put words in my mouth. I"ve been following this title for a while, and I do know how they"re handling the "fervor" of their game. Releasing the setting doesn"t mean they have to release more than that. That"s just you thinking it will make a bigger difference. For instance, they"ve already released concept art, one could take a stab at the genre already. They didn"t come out with a "BANG!" with their information like you suppose they should. They come out with small bits of information. Eventually the setting ensues, it"s very simple.
How are you following this game for a while? The only thing out is Curt saying, "Hey guys, I"m making a game and here"s who I"ve hired."

I think you could guess that it"s a fantasy setting. I mean c"mon, you think Curt who"s been playing WOW and EQ since "99 is going to make a sci-fi game?

Draegan said:
I think you could guess that it"s a fantasy setting. I mean c"mon, you think Curt who"s been playing WOW and EQ since "99 is going to make a sci-fi game?
We"ve actually been clear for a while that we"re making a fantasy game (our press releases even say we are "in pre-production on an original fantasy IP"). As Curt posts here, I can literally picture his hands clenched in frustration about how much more he"d like to say but knows he shouldn"t.

Of course there are as many flavors of fantasy as there are of sci fi, so to try to sum up the setting in a couple words is futile--just like it"s hopeless to encapsulate a huge game world by releasing a handful of concept pieces. But the Ten Ton Hammer article in particular outlines our visual philosophies, which you will see represented what we show going forward.

Rythonn_foh

shitlord
Thom added, "One of the things that we're doing to ensure this does translate into the actual game environment is that the concept artists who did this are actually the modelers. They're taking their own paintings and, as artists they're amazing, but as modelers and world builders they're also amazing. They're not having to hand this off to trust someone else to interpret it... They're doing their own efficiency tests on it, so they're involved from the beginning all the way through to end delivery."
And...

Ten Ton Hammer's John Hoskin pointed out that there's not much that's angular and squared off in the concepts presented. Thom agreed, "For efficiency reasons in most games, everything's squared off. It's easier to fit the pieces together.
While I agree that it will equal better qaulity, it will also take longer to make. Unless you have hired an obscene amount of people. WoW copy/paste half the shit in their game and they still take forever, making sure the polish is there.

Gnome Eater_foh

shitlord
For whatever it is worth, I always thought cartoony graphics looked better than any attempts at realistic graphics. See WoW vs Vanguard - they just age much much better.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Rythonn said:
And...

While I agree that it will equal better qaulity, it will also take longer to make. Unless you have hired an obscene amount of people. WoW copy/paste half the shit in their game and they still take forever, making sure the polish is there.
Ok here is where I get hung up, because the same thing happens in sports to a much larger degree. People make points, often times with zero facts backing them, and then others run with those points until the conversation reaches a breaking point. All the while the points being debated and argued are untrue.

"WoW copy/paste half.."

What does that mean? I know whatever it means is untrue, there really is no such thing as copy paste. Do they reuse assets? Sure they do, like just about every other game, but there is really no such thing as copy/paste and to say it shows a lack of understanding of what these people truly do for a living. Listen I know it"s not brain surgery, far from it, but it"s still hard, even the "simplest" parts are hard if done right.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think what he"s refering to is that WOW uses a lot of repeat models that are retextured like the Barns, Houses and Inns, along with furniture etc. Stuff like that.

What he doesn"t realize that you can"t just plop a house down and say done, you have to dress it up with foliage and make sure transitions between model and environment don"t look phoney.

Then you have to consider exploiting the terrain and stuff like that if it applies to the area.

Gnome Eater_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
What does that mean? I know whatever it means is untrue, there really is no such thing as copy paste. Do they reuse assets? Sure they do, like just about every other game, but there is really no such thing as copy/paste and to say it shows a lack of understanding of what these people truly do for a living. Listen I know it"s not brain surgery, far from it, but it"s still hard, even the "simplest" parts are hard if done right.
Did you see how all the LDON maps were literally copy/pasted over and over?

Let me try to get the images, this was not a case of re-using assets like in WoW where a few caves/houses are similar, this was a case of dungeons being literally cut and pasted hallways tied together.

Edit:
Here we go, found them - can you argue that this is not cut and pasting?
rujcwind_x.JPG

rujftaskmasters_x.JPG

Thanks to Neric of all people, he had those saved.
There are two different things - WoW reuses assets for things like houses, caves, etc - LDoN was literally cut and pasted hallways in different combinations.