Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Slayder_foh

shitlord
Venjenz said:
OK, now that might get you some FoH hate. In the subgroup of the population known as "hardcore gamer" Republicans are the only people on Earth held in lower regard than game developers. Matter of fact, I think if you were to poll FoH, republicans might fall below pedophiles and terrorists on the likeability chart. At least that"s the sense I get anytime I see any political topic in any section of this forum.
I really doubt Curt is posting here seeking our approval, political or otherwise.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Let me quess, Democrat as well?

Perfect.
God damn, that was stupid of you. You"ve effectively said "If you act like an asshole you must be a Democrat!" How you could say something that myopic and laughably immature is beyond me. One can only hope you were drinking something other than the McCain kool-aid when you thought that line up.

Drave_foh

shitlord
Pass on the whole democrat comment. Safe to say it"s a retarded statement.

Moving on...

Ngruk said:
Will it be stable? How on earth could I spend the huge amount of money I am and then launch an unstable game? That just cannot happen and the bigger point is that we have the say in WHEN it happens.
Stability isn"t cured with money. Attracting great talent (and lots of it), coupled with experience on all levels can helpmitigateit. Also "stability" is also very subjective.

-Users have different types of machines. They crash on your game, even if it"s not your code, you take the hit. (Thank Brand_X video drivers, Microsoft updates, firewall patches, etc)

-Users have different types of network connections or live in different geographic locations. Their pipe to your servers is out of your control. Network congestion at peak times? Satellite lag? Your game"s performance takes the hit.

-Server hardware fails on New Year"s Eve, recovery is slow as hell (manpower, replacement tech), again, your game takes the hit

-Server software gets corrupted, etc ...

-Per server populations and time zones are also issues that players blame the game design (huge population lags the server for example). Also, just how much server/hardware/router/switch redundancy & stand-by tech support are you willing to pay for?

Blizzard has huge amounts of resources and yet they still get bitched at for performance... and they are the current bar that other games are measured against (stability wise).

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Let me quess, Democrat as well?

Perfect.
I really disagree with all the bullshit people are throwing on you about the game and this thread, but... Jeez. I think most people already knew your political affiliation, you"re pretty public about it, but to bring it in here completely out of the blue and as an insult to boot? Really bad form man.

Anyway, I"m a Mariners fan. We gutted our farm system for a mediocre starting pitcher who now has a confirmed torn labrum. Feel sorry for me.

Cynno_foh

shitlord
Well, if I was Curt making shittons of money every year, I"d support the republicans too, considering they give you tax breaks for making so much money.

Curt likes his money as much as every other multi-million dallor income earner Republican.

Oh, and in his new MMORPG, when the Uber guild fails because the guild leader is an incompetant bastard, he will personally swoop in and give them all free gear if they agree not to quit. Keeping them afloat that much longer, until the next bailout is needed!

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Cynno said:
Well, if I was Curt making shittons of money every year, I"d support the republicans too, considering they give you tax breaks for making so much money.

Curt likes his money as much as every other multi-million dallor income earner Republican.

Oh, and in his new MMORPG, when the Uber guild fails because the guild leader is an incompetant bastard, he will personally swoop in and give them all free gear if they agree not to quit. Keeping them afloat that much longer, until the next bailout is needed!
You really honestly believe that? You really think that the person in the White House and his tax plan is even remotely a motivation for me in voting or backing a candidate?

The difference in Presidents over the past 15 years, if we"d have had one or the other, would have meant I paid 55 million or so in taxes rather than the 50ish I likely have paid...

Hell I honestly don"t know, and don"t care. That"s not to say I don"t care about money but the fact of the matter is I have never cared how much I paid in taxes, whether Democratic or Republican President, simply because it"s one of the "prices" we all have to pay. As long as I don"t pay more than anyone else earning what I earn, I don"t and have never cared.

The Democrat comment was just personal history. Since that early morning on Good Morning America (about 12 hours after we won the World Series) in October 2004 the sheer volume of hate I"ve gotten due to the comment increased 100 fold. So when idiots like him post things like that, it"s usually for 1 of 4 reasons.

1) They hate me
2) They hate that I voted Republican
3) They are Yankee fans
4) 2 or more of the above.

Oh and I grew up VERY lower middle class, at best. I earned about 350 bucks after taxes a month playing minor league baseball from 1986 to 1988, after signing for 15 grand out of Junior College. I never was a "rich kid" and the only way you"d know that I have money now is you read ESPN and know what I make, or you have seen that I spend dumb money on my gaming rigs...

Which I cannot apologize for!

And fwiw I could give a rats ass if you are Democrat, Republican, Independent, whatever, really.

As someone who wasted half of the time allotted to me by not voting the only thing that matters to me is that people vote (sure I"d hope you vote for Senator McCain but that"s your choice and hopefully people make it as informed as possible), let the chips fall after that. Whomever wins is my next Commander in Chief and I could care less at that point if it"s a (D) or (R) next to his name.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I know a lot of baseball people. For some weird reason, a lot of them are Republicans. Dunno what it is. My personal feeling is that "stat" people, like baseball players, or accountants, tend to look at things as black or white. You crunch the numbers, weigh the odds and pick a pitch, a answer, a politician based on probability.

Its hard for someone with that mindset to vote with a democrat/liberal/change person. Liberalism by its very definition represents the unknown, (aka "Change"). You can"t quantify that or measure that or do any sort of statistical analysis on it. You feel it, or you don"t.

I can picture Schilling no more voting for Obama than he would shake the magic 8Ball to select a pitch on full count on Manny.

Im glad you are running a gaming company Schill, I think youll be great. But remember, you can"t plug fun into an equation. Sometimes you have to just gut out an option that you HOPE is the best.

Obama 08!

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Lleauaric~EW said:
I know a lot of baseball people. For some weird reason, a lot of them are Republicans. Dunno what it is.
I don"t know how it"s like inThe Showbut in college we used to play country music all the time during field prep, stretching, and pre-game. A lot of us chewed tobacco and there was a hefty amount of people from very simple to poor home life, and your average blue collar parents. Most living in rural places and played a full game of ball when younger in a large field of grass.

May be just what I have seen, but a large amount of people I have played with have mostly all came from the lower to lower-mid class. May just be a huge stereotype.

It"s all those soccer homos that come from rich families.

End of my derail.

Slayder_foh

shitlord
Hey Curt, what gives? How come you haven"t been on The Instance lately?

I have personally enjoyed the Scott/Randy/Curt trifecta. It"s not quite the same without you!

Bellstian_foh

shitlord
I knew Curt was a republican, in one of his interviews he mentioned "The Lord" a couple times.

I wonder if he"s a young earth creationist like Brad was too? I wish I took screenshots when Brad was trying to defend the historical validity of Noah"s Ark on the old VG boards. Those were good times.

It"s ok though Curt, we still like you.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wow Curt, you went from good faction with me to rock bottom in a single sentence. I think you need to spend more time with Moorguard on posting tact.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Fog said:
No, it doesn"t. What are you talking about?
About 5000 years of human history.

Im talking about the Congress of Vienna, the French Revolution, the Trial of Socrates, Imperial Japan, and every society since man started dropping seeds into the ground and forming communities.

Seriously... read a fucking book.

SpringerLink - Journal Article

start there.

Your myopia is staggering. You REALLY think the liberal v Conservative debate is only Republican v Democrat, in the United States, in our time? Wow..
Liberalism is a broad array of related ideas and theories of government that consider individual liberty to be the most important political goal. Modern liberalism has its roots in the Age of Enlightenment. Liberalism rejected many foundational assumptions that dominated most earlier theories of government, such as the Divine Right of Kings, hereditary status, state religion, and protectionism.
V.

Conservatism is a term used to describe political philosophies that favour tradition, where tradition refers to various religious, cultural, or nationally defined beliefs and customs. It is difficult to define the term precisely because different cultures have different established values and, in consequence, conservatives in different cultures have differing goals. (Some conservatives seek to preserve the status quo or to reform society slowly, while others seek to return to the values of an earlier time, the status quo ante). In a more general sense, politically, Conservatism often refers to Right-Wing politics.
until your level of understanding passes what is acceptable for a retarded 8th grader, dont talk to me.

Ukerric_foh

shitlord
Lleauaric~EW said:
until your level of understanding passes what is acceptable for a retarded 8th grader, dont talk to me.
I have to agree with Fog. Liberalism isn"t by definition The Unknown or Change. It has been usually associated with change, but one does not imply the other.

The usual Liberalism vs Conservatism debate is completely tainted. It"s a debate of Orange vs Bright. Sure, you"re talking about light stuff, but you"re looking at different qualities.

The oppositions are Liberalism (the idea that people are better off deciding what"s good for them on their own) vs Dogmatism (the idea that fixed rules are better off deciding what"s good for people) on one side, and Conservatives (the idea that the current system or the previous system is probably better than the alternatives) vs Progressives (the idea that a new system could probably be better than what we have or had).

Liberals have usually been Progressives, because most government systems are heavily Dogmatic. But not all Progressives have been Liberals. Early 20th century is a good illustration of this. Communists were Progressives, but hardly Liberals. And any heavily Liberal government will turn extremely Conservative if you suggest adding more rules and regulations, even if they"re new.

Bizanich_foh

shitlord
Ngruk"s explanation about his experiences and why he asked if Jait was a Democrat make it make a little more sense. Still a retarded statement to throw at Jait on a gamer forum where 66-75% of us are left leaningit seems, but still

I"d love if we could get Ngruk and the rest of you who are posting politics to join the other flamethrowers in General forum (that"s down at the bottom) discussing politics, I"d hammer the F5 button all day at work and get nothing done watching the flames....

....but for this thread, lets get back to game stuff....

So, the MMO....with the apparent success or hype of WAR, has Green Monster Games / 38 Studios / whatever its called ever stated their position on PvP for their game?