Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Ok, so last derail question... So how exactly does a site get ranked 22k places higher w/ 10x less views?

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
ToeMissile said:
Ok, so last derail question... So how exactly does a site get ranked 22k places higher w/ 10x less views?
Page views is calculated differently from unique viewers.

Unique Viewersis a single person viewing the site over a set amount of time, whether it be daily or monthly. So if a site has 100k uniques/mo it means 100k individual people arrived at your site for that month.

Page viewsis how many pages were loaded by users in a set period, or how many pages were loaded for a certain user in a given session.

Statistically forums have a higher amount of page views because one person is loading multiple pages, rather than a magazine site where someone just reads an article and runs off. Thus making page views less but uniques high.

A site could have a smaller amount of people viewing a lot of pages instead of a large amount of people viewing less pages. Don"t even get me started about CPM/CPC and how each effects them; so many variables and inconsistencies.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Ah, I took "uniques" to mean "viewers", and not "views" in your previous post. Thanks for the info. I"d +net if I could.

Grave_foh

shitlord
Fog said:
I"d have thought more people read these forums than readThe Escapist.
That Yahtzee fellow from Zero Punctuation got them a fairly huge following pretty quickly. I"m not sure anyone really visits the site for anything else.

Fog_foh

shitlord
Grave said:
That Yahtzee fellow from Zero Punctuation got them a fairly huge following pretty quickly. I"m not sure anyone really visits the site for anything else.
Oh yeah. I forgot he was part of Escapist -- that pretty much explains that. I was just thinking of their magazine bits.

deab_foh

shitlord
I was just checking this out:
Nine Inch Nails iPhone App Extends Reznor"s Innovative Run | The Underwire from Wired.com

and it made me think about how the upcoming GMG game is supposed to be multifaceted and multimedia. I wonder if this is kinda what they are wanting to do?

--edit--

I realized I didn"t explain my thoughts well enough on that post. So let me try this again.

Looking at what Trent is doing with that iPhone app, and how he is integrating it into parts of his show and web site... I feel one can extrapolate how that could be used in a similar fashion, for the MMO genre.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tyen said:
Websites are ranked based on popularity, 1 is the largest website on the internet, 2 the 2nd, and so on.

Fohguild is ranked the 28,377th largest site on the internet and Escapist being the 5,929th largest site.
This is simply the wrong way of looking at things. Sites need to be ranked on awesomeness, which would put FoHguild.org fairly close to the top, and the Escapist fairly close to the bottom for being the festering shitpile that it is.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yahtzee is hilarious. I admit I have never even clicked another link on the site besides his vids.

On topic:

The skill set vs class argument. I recall that Guild Wars is a system sort of close to the CCG paradigm people were discussing. Your character has a large library of spells/skills/talents and you are limited to like 6 or 8 slotted at any one time. I assume since it"s pvp there are "best" archtypes. Is their system robust enough for people to metagame and come up with outlier builds that are successful? I was curious if there is an example of a MMO with that type of system that is broad enough to encourage build diversity.

Ninjarr_foh

shitlord
Drtyrm said:
The skill set vs class argument. I recall that Guild Wars is a system sort of close to the CCG paradigm people were discussing. Your character has a large library of spells/skills/talents and you are limited to like 6 or 8 slotted at any one time. I assume since it"s pvp there are "best" archtypes. Is their system robust enough for people to metagame and come up with outlier builds that are successful? I was curious if there is an example of a MMO with that type of system that is broad enough to encourage build diversity.
I would say yes, at least initially, and due to the robustness of the skill selection list, that openness lasted a decent amount of time.

Like any system with finite parts, eventually people will determine (most of) the best sets.

The task is to make the system complicated/balanced enough that it takes a while to do this, without making it difficult to grasp/daunting to understand. Not easy given that those two things are pretty much opposites. :p

Ninen_foh

shitlord
Its been a while since I looked into the GW"s scene, but the Devs for guildwars were pretty free in changing things up.

"Well, XYZ comp has had over A% participation over the last season, and that"s higher than we want. XYZ comp functions due to these particular synergies, and the lack of tools in these areas of the counter-comps. As such we"re nerfing these spells, and buffing these spells to lower the synergies and bolster the holes in the counter-comps.

Have fun in the new season."

The Devs patched pretty frequently, weren"t afraid of doing .xx% nerf/buffs for higher granularity or separating pve/pvp rulesets.

Between the player acceptance that yes the devs can fuck with comps for no other reason than to mix things up; and the easy at which one can get a new character to pvp readiness, things seemed fairly decent there.

Lonin_foh

shitlord
Some interesting news...

In limbo: Big Huge Games ... games

Big Huge Games could be saved from the swinging axe, according to a report from Kotaku, which also details two games the company was in the middle of developing: God: The Game and Ascendant. God: The Game was planned for Wii, with obvious inspiration from games such as Animal Crossing and The Legend of Zelda, and seems to have been early in development based on the game art available.

The other title, Ascendant, was destined for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, and is (was?) an action RPG set in a fantasy world. A brief trailer for the game confirms that Ken Rolston, lead designer for Oblivion, was involved. Based on that trailer and some in-game shots, we"d say Big Huge Games was on the verge of living up to its name.

There could still be hope for these games, though.Unnamed sources claim that several buyers are checking out the developer, including Curt Schilling"s 38 Studios.Hopefully, Big Huge Games can be big huge saved.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Ngruk said:
So it would be safe to say that the above mentioned "unnamed sources" are not filled with delicious chocolate, but some other much less tasty brown colored solid?

Flight

Molten Core Raider
What Curt is saying is exactly what his company had to say when asked to comment :

When contacted for comment, 38 Studios stated that "it does not comment on rumors".
There are a lot of art assets displayed for the Ascendant game, even a trailer, along with the source for the above article at Kotaku.

It would be remiss of 38S to not assess this opportunity. In an industry short of quality people, BHG obviously have some talented staff available at a time when 38S must be ramping up their staff numbers. Of course, it all depends on the price and the numbers.

Also - and its hard to call this because we don"t know how far along the development cycle their two games were - having projects on the backburner allows you room to allocate resources in their redundant time.

Then, if it does come off, there"s the decision to incorporate some of the Ascendant work into Copernicus or keep it discrete.

To coin a phrase you won"t have heard for a couple of decades, Curt, "Welcome to the Big Leagues!".

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How about this fuckin one:
gtgposter.jpg (image)

Holy shit, that is probably the creepiest drawing I have ever seen. Completely trumps maggot-boob. The girl in the bottom is going totorturethat pie, not even just murder it. She wouldn"t get much enjoyment out of murder, it"s time to bust out the nipple clamps. Good God.

Quince_foh

shitlord
wagonlights.jpg

I think this is what Curt was talking about earlier about "stylized reality". Has a really cool look to it but it isn"t "Photo realistic".
Reminds me of things like the old Secret of Mana games.

wagonlights.jpg