Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Alright, so who played this one? Logged many hours into this beast.

fantasy1.gif

fantasy1.gif

Hey guys, I haven"t read through all the pages, but I check in every now and then to see what"s cooking. Love the thread, as I"ve seen some great ideas get tossed around.

Anyways, here"s my question. Has the idea of an MMORPG without leveling in the traditional sense been brought up? Maybe something similar to how FFX had the orb system. Or something entirely new and fresh, where people aren"t seen as level xx. Basically I"m thinking of a more comprehensive AA system that EQ had, but from day one as the backbone of "leveling" or advancing your character aside from gearing up.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Big_Dumb_Animal said:
Hey guys, I haven"t read through all the pages, but I check in every now and then to see what"s cooking. Love the thread, as I"ve seen some great ideas get tossed around.

Anyways, here"s my question. Has the idea of an MMORPG without leveling in the traditional sense been brought up? Maybe something similar to how FFX had the orb system. Or something entirely new and fresh, where people aren"t seen as level xx. Basically I"m thinking of a more comprehensive AA system that EQ had, but from day one as the backbone of "leveling" or advancing your character aside from gearing up.
We aren"t talking about this any more. We are now discussing old games and remembering the days of yesteryear. I might even like Curt for a minute or two until he starts up with the marketing bullshit again.

Havelock_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Just found this list, quick glance....

Barely played 1, and 4, 5 and 10 were huge time sinks and I totally forgot about 11, 11 was the first cool sports simulation I remember playing but was bugged all to hell.
It"s hilarious to see a list that dated, and even more hilarious to feel my nerdrage rising at the relatively low rankings of X-Com and The Bard"s Tale.

As time goes on, these lists will become more and more controversial because playing a game is typically not as condensed an experience as watching a movie or reading a book. There are so many alternatives that few people will be able to play and compare all of the contenders for top spots. Some games will have broad appeal, others will have hyperbolic fanboys who offset their limited experience by fervent adherence to the games they did opt to play and delight at the failures of others. The idea of a list based on the merits of particular games will become less and less feasible as the space develops, mitigated perhaps by more bite-sized games or by an increase in leisure time.

Assessing the merits of the AFI lists at this point is tough because every year brings more worthwhile movies, and there are plenty of great old movies to catch up on -- lists like this for games seem just plain hopeless, even in the short term. But nostalgia is fun, and just seeing some of those names brings back a warm fuzzy feeling and thoughts of primitive but lovable machines.

Caliane

James said:
Mytstery solved.

(It"s Battle Chess FYI).
haha. Back then any number of games would often get quick copies made of them. There were a good chunk of knock off Battlechess games. Hard to tell which he was talking about.

The oldest game I can remember playing on the PC was an Adventure knockoff. I think it was called Castle. But I can find no reference to it when I check for rogue-likes. text based, acsi. It wasn"t random generated. Its entirely possible it was home programmed in my dad"s office.

Edit: found it finally. Castle Adventure.
Castle Adventure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lost Ranger said:
Alright, so who played this one? Logged many hours into this beast.

fantasy1.gif
Loved that game. It was a bit too easy to cheese out the computer though taking 1 Archer Hero and suiciding him to wipe out an entire provence of troops (if you had too much time on your hands and were willing to kite an entire army!)

Thengel said:
Am I the only one whose first computer game was the Oregon Trail? C"mon, admit it, it"s ok. You are not alone.
You"re not alone. I remember playing this at school in the computer lab back in... 7th? grade. Fairly sure that was my first introduction to games on a computer.

fantasy1.gif

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
No it was true high fantasy image wise. Elementals, demons, and heavy on the hard drive space.
It was not cartoony or gimmicky, at least I don"t remember it as such.