Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Is it just me or does she look cross-eye in that picture?

I kinda giggled watching the Blizzcon streams this weekend and it"s like a direct response to games like Copernicus and SW saying that WoW lacks story focus and how 4.0 is going to add that as a major focus.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Zehn - Vhex said:
Is it just me or does she look cross-eye in that picture?

I kinda giggled watching the Blizzcon streams this weekend and it"s like a direct response to games like Copernicus and SW saying that WoW lacks story focus and how 4.0 is going to add that as a major focus.
They started developing these ideas long before 38 Studios even formed.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
No doubt. One of the things I used to get bent about was stuff "we thought of first" and then hearing things in various games that either sounded like or were mirror images of things we thought we"d nail first.

Came to realize, especially given the length of time it takes to make an MMO that it really does boil down to execution rather than being first. Having story as a major driver in an MMO for us anyway, was something we were acting on in 2005-6. It just seemed like the natural progression in the space. The key for me to acting on it was getting someone that can actually create story, content, characters, that"s done it before in a way that would attract a large ww audience. Someone with a proven track record. No one"s done that before to any degree in this space, so in that sense ya, we were first.

Few remember who did it first, everyone remembers who does it best.

Gecko_foh

shitlord
This would be the place to reveal to us why you picked her and to expand on her accomplishments.

The fact you went Ad Hoc and got defensive speaks even bigger volumes.

p.s. She still has jack and shit on her resume about actual games experience. She has a degree in internetional relations and a bunch of non descript positions in large corporations. She was a playtester and then a suit. Your company and she may be kick ass, but her credentials do not impress.

dorfeater_foh

shitlord
Isn"t it a CEO"s job to manage mostly? I don"t see her resume taking on much in the ways of gaming (Comcast casual gaming service vs. MMO.. yeah) but, I think that has little to do with being a CEO.

She could be one hell of a manager who knows how to get shit done.

I can"t find anything on what Mike Morhaime did before Blizzard. Most likely because he was in College. A lot of the greatest people in video game history mostly had no experience under their belts.

In this world, a resume takes a back seat to good management, creativity, and willingness to be open to new ideas from your designers.

Not that I"m saying this chick is the best one for the job, or will even do a good job. I"m a skeptic, as always. But, to shoot her down almost instantly is just rubbish.

At least for now, this is highly irrelevant to Copernicus. We still know little about the game at all, so you can"t really go making judgments based on this.

The important topic to discuss here is the leaving of Brett Close. I can think of few reasons why a CEO would ditch out before anything happened except. A) He had a better offer doing something else, B) He felt like jumping ship before it sunk, or C) He wasn"t much in line with the rest of the staff, Curt"s and other designers vision, and thus he was forced to resign (or canned)

I am interested in hearing something about this.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Gecko said:
This would be the place to reveal to us why you picked her and to expand on her accomplishments.

The fact you went Ad Hoc and got defensive speaks even bigger volumes.

p.s. She still has jack and shit on her resume about actual games experience. She has a degree in internetional relations and a bunch of non descript positions in large corporations. She was a playtester and then a suit. Your company and she may be kick ass, but her credentials do not impress.
I"ll let her handle that in the coming weeks as people come to us to talk about it.

I didn"t get defensive, just when someone talks like a 9 year old it"s hard not to respond as such.

As far as you being unimpressed with her "credentials", um, so what. Why would it be relevant if you thought her credentials amounted to anything?

This is another issue of no real relevance until we actually do something that actually matters.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
dorfeater said:
I am interested in hearing something about this.
The hardest part, for me anyway, being in this industry is the amount of times I want to talk, versus the amount of times it"s either smart/right to talk.

This is certainly not the forum to talk about any of the reasons behind something like this, not even close, but this is also the forum and place something grows out of nothing on a story like this.

I can"t and wouldn"t talk about any of the stuff behind this but needless to say my goal is for 38 to be in the best position to succeed, every single day.

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
I"ll let her handle that in the coming weeks as people come to us to talk about it.

I didn"t get defensive, just when someone talks like a 9 year old it"s hard not to respond as such.

As far as you being unimpressed with her "credentials", um, so what. Why would it be relevant if you thought her credentials amounted to anything?

This is another issue of no real relevance until we actually do something that actually matters.
My remark was based on the feedback given. She was a fucking play tester. They generally don"t get promoted to VP slots.

While I don"t matter at all, good luck selling her and your company now.
According to the media you are looking for more funding. Who is asking for that matters: A previous senior VP from EA or a games person from Comcast who was by all accounts in a figurehead position with no responsibility?

Good luck with that, chief.

p.s. A CEO"s duties are not a Managers duties. Even in a smaller, new game shop.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You won"t hear anything. Because that would require bring forthright and honest. Similar to no comment on their spyware for WoW they keep wanting people to install so they can measure play time, what they play, what they do in the game, tracking days of play with casual compared to hardcore, and anything else you do in WoW so they can analyze it on a spreadsheet.

It would have garnered a lot more respect to say, "Hey. We are collecting this data for research. Here is what we will be looking at" instead of dilly dallying around the issue like this CEO business. And this is why I am always on the attack on this one.

Or they can talk about her qualifications as a beta tester for X-Com and overseeing Comcast Poker development.

And Gecko is spot on as well.

Believe_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
instead of dilly dallying around the issue like this CEO business
You say that like every company just releases their dirty laundry for all to see.

You idiots have read like 1 paragraph about her 17~ years in the gaming industry and you"re making some pretty huge fucking claims about her abilities.

Give me a fucking break.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Believe said:
You say that like every company just releases their dirty laundry for all to see.

You idiots have read like 1 paragraph about her 17~ years in the gaming industry and you"re making some pretty huge fucking claims about her abilities.

Give me a fucking break.
When you come to a public web forum to promote a product, you can"t have your cake and eat it too. Not everything is just going to be hunky vault fanboys following you around because of the jersey you wore and they cannot believe they got a reply from a baseball stud. Now comes the time where the shit hits the fan.

Honestly, believe it or not I do not want the company to fail. We don"t need any more failures in this genre. But being open and honest about one of the key factors in development of the company taking a 180 degree turn and given to someone with a complete lack of experience garnering funding and doing what must be done in the next critical 2 years before the tri-fold launch of the backbone IP, is going to not only shake confidence, but worse spread like wildfire because of a lack of info.

And in today"s skeptical gaming world, honesty and being non guarded about this sort of thing will speak volumes and get a lot more support than pushing it under the bed making people wonder. The only person who knows games and the business backward and forward is now gone.

Caliane

Believe said:

Give me a fucking break.
its like Im taking crazy pills. How absurdly unprofessional would it be to comment at all on the reason for Close leaving? Do you people have no tact, and no understanding how to deal with customers, investors, or any business relations at all? what do you expect him to say?

And yeah, in regards to McLean. again you know nothing about her, and are making pretty absurd accusations.

dorfeater_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
The hardest part, for me anyway, being in this industry is the amount of times I want to talk, versus the amount of times it"s either smart/right to talk.

This is certainly not the forum to talk about any of the reasons behind something like this, not even close, but this is also the forum and place something grows out of nothing on a story like this.

I can"t and wouldn"t talk about any of the stuff behind this but needless to say my goal is for 38 to be in the best position to succeed, every single day.
That"s understandable. From that last sentence it sounds like he got canned.

Haha.. kidding (or am i?!?) All the people who get caught up in the politics of a company who they are not even remotely a part of kinda make me chuckle. I"m personally holding any opinion I have of your company, staff and game, until I get more details about said game. Until then.. this is just kinda comical in a really really sad way.

Believe_foh

shitlord
Oh man, a couple internet trolls are trying to shit on him. I"m sure he"s so fucking afraid that "shit has hit the fan".

Fact is, you guys know absolutely jack shit about her, except what you read in fucking 2 minutes of googling.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
dorfeater said:
That"s understandable. From that last sentence it sounds like he got canned.

Haha.. kidding (or am i?!?) Good day sir.
That"s what I took out of it. Most likely a power play.

And admittedly, the focus shouldn"t be on someone who replaced Close, it"s why did Close leave the company while it enters the most crucial part of development.