Grills

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, I can make any grill last 15 yrs. Use it and then put it in my garage when its done. The thing that fucks up grills is the weather, winters, rain, plain old moisture.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I needed to get a BBQ when we moved into our new house, but wasn't ready to spend a ton of money. I also was really torn between gas or charcoal, for all the reasons mentioned above. I like the convenience of having gas if I just want to do some burgers and hot dogs real quick for the kids. But love the charcoal when I am doing steaks or tri-tip.

So to keep it on budget and meet both my needs I got this onehttp://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-5.../dp/B001CJKUO4
So far it has been fantastic. Some people say that it rusts really easy, but I keep mine under a covered patio once I am done cooking so hopefully that helps.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I dunno Ameraves, the reviews on that grill are not kind, and it sounds like a fire hazard.

I'm having a BBQ party late next month and I don't own a grill yet. I wasn't planning on spending so much on a grill, but, other sites are saying the same thing you guys are - that Weber is the way to go.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
We are going to look around / hopefully pick up a natural gas grill tonight. Does anyone have any strong recommendations for brands?
Just bought this one last week on sale for $379.
It's a damn nice grill.

It's a Weber.

rrr_img_23595.jpg

rrr_img_23595.jpg

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
No recommendations for gas. But I am still debating with myself over the better flavor of a charcoal grill versus gas. Had gas 5 years ago for a few years then moved and left grill as part of house sale (for some extra cash). Bought a charcoal one now and been using it. Really to me its weighing the better taste to me versus the inconvenience of not having gas (having to always start the coals, get them going, etc... sometimes seems like a big waste of effort and time just to cook up a couple hot dogs or 3 burgers for just me and my wife).
Don't like waiting on charcoal? Get one of these and your charcoal is ready to go in just a couple of minutes....

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT-...ds=weed+burner

Been shopping around myself lately. Is infrared worth it?
No, get some of these and you are good to go, I highly recommend these, they are awesome especially for folks with cheaper grills.

http://www.grillgrate.com/

Are Weber's really worth the premium you pay for them?
Yes they are awesome for a long lasting grill made in America. Ducane is their Chinese made brand.

If you got the cash, these are pretty sweet to cook on.http://www.biggreenegg.com/
They are nice, just overpriced in my opinion. There are many types of Kamado style cookers and if you are leaning this way, do some research and make sure and get what you want. Primo, Kamado Joe, Komodo Kamado, Char Griller Acorn (cheap brand), and Big Steel Keg are some of the brands off the top of my head.

Buy a Weber, they're worth the premium.

Gotthisas an engagement gift a few years back, works wonders. We use it 2-3 times a week in the summer. The grill light linked earlier is an awesome accessory as well.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My favorite toy (read: pork machine):
rrr_img_23991.jpg

Pork goes in, ribs come out.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you got the cash, these are pretty sweet to cook on.http://www.biggreenegg.com/
I had one of these, it was awesome. It's quite the expensive hobby though, especially if you like things cooked low and slow. Buying some sort of automated temperature control unit is all but mandatory imo. Also I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than a large. There are other brands that offer a similar quality cook, but the cost of ownership of all of them is fairly high when you consider it's 800+ for a decent one, then another 200+ for the temperature monitor. That's before you even get into all the add ons..

I cooked a retarded amount of stuff over the year or so I had mine, it was awesome. Pulled pork, briskett, ribs, pizza, steaks, chicken, cheese bacon... my mouth waters at the thought of owning one again. It's just not something that's worth it for someone who barbeque's casually.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have a Big Green Egg and a temperature controller and I love them but I have to agree that it's hard to justify the cost unless you're really into it. The difference between the $1200 I spent for the BGE and the stoker and my brother's $150 weber kettle + $250 electric smoker is just not extremely significant and the electric smoker is so much easier to control even with the stoker.

I do love that you can connect the stoker to your home network though. When my brother and I roasted a whole pig for my Mom's wedding it was so awesome to be able to just sleep next to my laptop and wake up every hour or two, look at the screen to check my temps, and then go back to sleep.

ezcw_sl

shitlord
For a simple inexpensive grill, but still high quality I would go with the Weber One Touch Gold. If you wanna spend more and also be able to smoke go with a Primo or an Egg.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Lemme know how you like it. Thinking of buying the same one with some rewards points I have stacking up. The 25 year old Genesis' grill is about to finally give way.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I like grilling. I have a fairly cheap propane grill from Lowes (Perfect Flame) that has since been discontinued. Turns out that the steel burners would sometimes rust out and cause explosions and other shit. I found out about that, so the company that handled the lawsuit sent me out all new stainless steel burners. 4 for the inside, and a pot cooker for the outside. Mine had minimal rusting, but it was present. Now it's fantastic.

Anyway, listening to podcasts a lot, they tend to advertise about this thing called "Mangrate". It's a cast iron grate that you sit up on top of your grills crappy factory grates to give you real steak-house style grilling. Instead of using just the dry heat from propane fire, you super heat the grates and they hold onto heat for a while. Then you cook your entire meal with just the radiating heat from the thick grates. Kinda like cooking food on your engine block or something.

So I ended up buying 5 "mangrates". They're small... like 6 inches wide by about 18 inches long. My grill had room for 5 total. I work in the metal industry, so I built a mount for them so that they'll sit recessed in my grill opening and not just up on top of the factory grates. It was a $100 investment, but it turned my grill into a beast that makes the best food on my block.

Here's a picture of before and after:

grillbeforeafter.jpg

EDIT: In closing, Mangrates are awesome. I highly recommend them. Just search for them on google. Usually you'll find good discounts that way.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We have grill marks on everything now. But not just that... food doesn't dry out. Radiant heat doesn't suck out moisture the way fire heat does. The grates are awesome for that. We had brat's the other day and after taking a bite, we noticed that they weren't completely cooked. So I tossed them back on and they finished. They were just as juicy after cooking again with an open brat. Good shit right there.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lemme know how you like it. Thinking of buying the same one with some rewards points I have stacking up. The 25 year old Genesis' grill is about to finally give way.
I didn't forget about this, I just haven't used it yet!

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Only major downside is you pretty much *must* clean it after every use. Just get the wire brush and the provided steel tool. It only takes a few minutes but with the grate design it doesn't let the charred stuff fall through and will taint the flavor if you don't clean it.
This seems like a cheap gimmick, but I just got one as a birthday gift and let me tell you it works really, really well.
Grill Daddy Pro

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just bought a Weber performer platnium last week and so far it's been pretty amazing. Grabbed the smokenator addon and going to smoke up some ribs this weekend. Did a few test runs to get my slow burn temp just right and its been sitting at 225-230 F for the past 1 hour now. I think I'm ready for a nice slow cook session!

The one touch clean ash clean up system makes my life so much easier.

Two problems I had with the grill were a missing handle in the box but Weber mailed me one for free so on a scale of 1-10 that ranked at about a .05 in annoyance for the whole 4 days it took to get the part.

The second problem is the propane one start ignition. I bought a propane tanked and used it a time or two and then a day later it was out of propane. Turns out the grill has a leak and I haven't been able to find it. It doesn't bother me a whole lot because propane tanks are like $2-3 bucks a pop so I just fill up my chimney and use newspaper plus cheap matches instead. It's always worked for me anyway so I don't really care about the propane that much.