Grim Dawn

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Shame they're having problems, I really like TQ, one of the best out there I think, especially with the mod community. I take it GD will be modable at some point too? I was trying to find out if you could still buy it seeing as the kickstarter has ended. I might buy it during Alpha, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Do keep us posted on any news/progress.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This reminds me to play TQ. God damn I loved storm/oracle.
TQ had some pretty cool classes. Loved Dream/Necro or Dream/Warfare. Overall loved Dream. Also liked Occult from the mod Underworld or whatever the name was, that huge super mod that remade everything including the shitty class.

I actually played it only recently, for some reason when I heard TQ I was thinking of another arpg, one that I didn't like too much but didn't get very far with pyramids and shit. Then I picked it up a few months ago and played it a lot for a while, it's a great game especially with the lastest large mod which added a lot of content to it, and also made the game more difficult. Had a blast rolling a bunch of different classes.

Many Grim Dawn classes are actually very similar to TQ classes. Soldier is a mix of Warfare and Defense(or whatever the name of the shield one is), Demo is a mix of Pyromancer and Hunter, Occult is mostly Necro but with a hint of Storm and Nightblade is very similar to the Occultist rework of the mod, which is interesting. Arcane, the last Grim Dawn class which hasn't been released yet will probably be a mix of Storm and Dream, I assume.

I just hope they release Act2 at which point I think it'd be worth recommending to people to buy into, but atm I think the lack of content is a bit too large for the price tag. It is an alpha and shit but people like getting their money worth right away when they start playing, they can rationalize the alpha thing but still can get a bad impression. That's why atm I'm more in the wait a bit until you buy it phase when people talk to me about the game.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is the only Kickstarter I've ever done, just because I liked Titan Quest, played through it a lot and had a lot of fun farming it back in the day. I liked that you could farm certain bosses for certain items and actually get the item eventually, unlike the arpg I play now, POE.

It was supposed to be released last month, I wish they'd at least give alpha/beta access to us early backers already.

bolok

Molten Core Raider
Pretty sure that everyone that bought in via kickstarter or even pre-kickstarter (like me) should have access as of a week or so ago. You have to go through the humble bundle page and enter whatever key you have to get a steam key. According to the forums its going up on Steam early access fairly soon, and Act 2 and multiplayer will likely be out before the end of the year. It's only like 6 devs though, so its slow going. The game is pretty much an elaborate TQ mod, with an updated engine. I dig it because I played the hell out of TQ and the new settings is quite a bit more grabby than ancient greece.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
This is out on Steam now, so I decided to buy it. Played about an hour and got to lvl7 as a Soldier. So far I'm getting good vibes from it. Haven't noticed any bugs (at least nothing game breaking), though I do think the pacing is a bit slow (mobs, loot and "gold"), though such balance issues will likely come after most of the rest of the game has been released. I do hope they get some more cash via Steam sales to hire more people.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the pacing is hella slow. Bought it a few days ago and I have to push myself to keep going.

eXarc

Molten Core Raider
Tried this out in the Alpha phase. Was incredibly slow and took me forever and lack of voice acting with a dull atmospheric soundtrack left me unbuzzed. I did however like the gameplay well enough.

Gonna give it another whirl if possible to see how much has changed as I really want to enjoy another well done ARPG.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty sure that everyone that bought in via kickstarter or even pre-kickstarter (like me) should have access as of a week or so ago. You have to go through the humble bundle page and enter whatever key you have to get a steam key. According to the forums its going up on Steam early access fairly soon, and Act 2 and multiplayer will likely be out before the end of the year. It's only like 6 devs though, so its slow going. The game is pretty much an elaborate TQ mod, with an updated engine. I dig it because I played the hell out of TQ and the new settings is quite a bit more grabby than ancient greece.
Damn bolok you got me excited there for a minute. I'm a kickstarter backer so I was hoping you were right. Everything they have said goes against your claim that we all have access (rather than just the higher end tiers of kickstarters) so I went to see if you were right, unfortunately no. Only the higher end Kickstarter tiers have access.

bolok

Molten Core Raider
Damn bolok you got me excited there for a minute. I'm a kickstarter backer so I was hoping you were right. Everything they have said goes against your claim that we all have access (rather than just the higher end tiers of kickstarters) so I went to see if you were right, unfortunately no. Only the higher end Kickstarter tiers have access.
Hmm weird, I'll confess I'm not familiar with the various tiers on Kickstarter that were available. I know the pre-kickstarter backers were pretty low on the totem pole, but I got in in that recent wave. Perhaps there is some dividing line. Thisposton their forums seems to say (most?) everyone should be eligible now. If not, then there is the early access via steam, or the backer upgrades still I believe. Which isn't much of a boon if yer not willing to pay more than you already have. Still, it will be quite a bit more compelling with another act and multiplayer in the future, so it isn't the worst thing in the world having to wait more.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Playing for a couple of hours made me load up TQ again. Been playing that a lot now. It's an awesome game, and I can only hope that once GD gets more beefed up that it will equal or surpass them. I do hope this game will be as moddable as TQ also. Mods are a godsend to the longevity of a game.

Pretty sure that everyone that bought in via kickstarter or even pre-kickstarter (like me) should have access as of a week or so ago.
I was confused and looked into this. You had to buy in at least $35 on Kickstarter to have access now:

Buy Grim Dawn - Crate Entertainment

There is also early access on Steam for $29.99 where so far only the first act is available:

Grim Dawn on Steam

I gave the minimum on Kickstarter for a game key ($18) and currently do not have access. Not really concerned because not interested in beta testing this.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
FYI they released this to all backers today regardless of what level you purchased. If you kickstarted them you should have an email humble/steam key.

All Early / KS Backers now have Steam Keys! - Grim Dawn Forums
Started playing it last night, so far it is well done but very dark. I made a warrior and it gave me the opportunity to multi-class starting at level 10. I haven't read anything about the game so I have no idea what classes are good but so far the warrior seems pretty standard.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Started playing it last night, so far it is well done but very dark. I made a warrior and it gave me the opportunity to multi-class starting at level 10. I haven't read anything about the game so I have no idea what classes are good but so far the warrior seems pretty standard.
I played the Engineer with a Soldier subclass. It was pretty fun, I didn't feel like I was only supposed to spam one ability like I did a lot in Titan Quest. I'm not sure how much replayability there will be as I started a new Occultist and everything was the same...the maps are not random at all. I think Titan Quest was the same way however and I played through that one several times, they did a good job on boss farming, hopefully they can repeat that with this game. I wish the game was fully released/had the second act, I'd play it more knowing I won't get wiped.

I didn't care for the Occultist as much, but I'll give it a fair shot and at least try to finish the first act with each class, just to see how differently they play. Anxious to try the Nightblade.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Got my kickstarter key finally and had a try. It definitely feels like TQ which is a good thing. Looking forward to the complete game (especially multiplayer)

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
I like it. I've got a 25 Occultist and been "farming" the Warden level. I like how there are unique items that make a difference in your ability to mow shit down.

Love the music and the steampunk vibe.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I like it. I've got a 25 Occultist and been "farming" the Warden level. I like how there are unique items that make a difference in your ability to mow shit down.

Love the music and the steampunk vibe.
What other class and skills you rolling with? I've got four characters so far and the occultist just feels like a gimp compared to the others. I only have it to 10 or 11, mainly due to not knowing what to pick with it. I was going to probably wait til Arcanist to sub, but if something works decent now I'll give it a shot.