Grim Dawn

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not a fan of the level cap (currently 40). There's really no reason for them to have it, content is already limited by what's available.

Problem is, twice we've hit level cap before finishing what I think is Act 2. Dunno about single player, but playing MP duo with someone, the content goes by super quick. You can easily reach the current cap if you use the same character on multiple games. For example, played to about 30ish in one game, helped a buddy in a different game hit cap.

With the current cap, it's kind of difficult to do a hybrid build, much less test it out. I believe I had about 15 hours played when my first character hit 35, and about 10-12 hours when my second character hit 40. Not only that, but you'll be getting good drops from the keyed dungeons that are level 50+ and can't do anything with.

Lot of the skills feel underwhelming and the game begins to feel a bit whack-a-mole in the 20's. The UI is a bit clunky and there's a bit of a skill/casting delay. Being used to Marvel Heroes, some abilities (like the soldier's Blitz) being on a timer are just shit. Wouldn't be so bad if soldier had some aoe taunts or something. Soon as my buddy casts one of his aoe's all mobs swarm to him.

There's also a serious LoS issue that affects skills, spells, and abilities. Some skill shot abilities will have the thing fire off, but not do the AoE effect at the end. Simple things like plants, barrels, crates, can sometimes fudge spells. Got so annoying one of my buddies switched from arcanist to nightblade.

My recommendation? If you're just going to play single player, it's good to go right now. If you're planning on playing this with a friend, wait until a lot more of the content is complete or for release. This game does not feel as smooth as D3 by any stretch.

Caliane

yeah. hit 33 on a single playthrough.

Content. yeah. currently part of act 3 is in. Its not as clear as in PoE or Diablo. Warden is act 1, cronley is act 2 I suppose?
in comparison to PoE. This might be about back when PoE was in Act 2, and we had to farm graveyard, before maps, in terms of content.

pure arcanist. I don't feel there is alot of class synergy in other classes that buff arcanist. meaning, the +elemental to attacks aura in arcanist, obviously is useful for OTHER classes main attacks. but not much in other classes does the same for arcanist.
solider/battlemage has a few defensive passives.

yes, skill cap, and passive system means you basically pick one skill, maybe 2 depending on the skill, and a couple secondary defensive skills.
Respecs are fairly cheap imho. skills on gear is nice.
Skill balance. eh.
See this is a bit of a problem. like arcanist.
Arcanist Build for Grim Dawn - Grim Calc
Who in their right mind would spend 12 points on flash freeze?(+5 on passives) its a one point wonder. and yes +points does increase its size and duration nicely. But it doesnt work on bosses, and deals little damage. (nevermind another 12 points for more cold%, frostburn and a slow, +15 more passive points). Its a situational use secondary CC skill. A point in a secondary skill like that is never worth a point in a main skill.

Skyshards, and disintergrate totally outshine repeating missiles.
Disintegrate is lame as its the SAME spell we saw in torchlight and d3. no idea who thought this was a good idea.
Its also stupid strong. so much, that it completely trivializes the missiles.
16 points in sky shards and 1 point in aetherray is more single target dps, and more aoe then 36points+ in missiles.

Skyshards has los issues.. honestly I think it keeps it a bit balanced. im ok with it hitting trees, etc.

and yeah, as a single player one run through. enjoyable enough. the game feels largely designed not as a roguelike arpg, but more of a, I dont know. zelda? been awhile since playing a game like this I guess. secrets to be found, etc. less about replay and more about the single journey.
Very different from PoE, which as I've noted, EVERYTHING about it is built on replay, and making alts. (well until masters were added anyway) Not so here.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
FYI for anyone that hasn't played in a while. They have done a couple of big build updates. The most recent opened Homestead, and had a very nice performance update. They have one more big update coming this month or next that will complete Act 3 and add in the big Faction system they have begun. Faction system looks good...eleven factions, quests, unlocks, etc based on what you're doing. They are planning on another big content patch in June as well.

Myst

Peasant
Got this game for 13$ last night and I couldn't stop playing. Ended up going to bed at 2am. Very fun game and definitely worth the price.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So is the game working with co-op now and how long does it take to get through act 3 roughly? I bought this awhile ago and might get a friend to try it out with me if co-op is working.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't timed it but if you're just plowing through act 3, maybe 3 or 4 hours-ish to clear everything. It really just depends on your gear and build I guess. I see people give pretty wide ranges on all of the acts.

As far as co-op, I haven't tried it, but as far as I know from reading the forums, it is working.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Good to see that this isn't dead yet, though I would have expected it to be done by now. I have had fun in the past, so I might just re-install it and see what's changed.

Argarth

On the verandah
Picked this up a few days ago and having a blast. Only scratching the surface, but there seems to be a lot of depth to the crafting/build possibilities. Currently playing a saboteur; and teleporting into a pack, dropping a cocussive bomb, getting AoE procs, and watching packs get stunned and then melting in a cascade of fire and lightning is just glorious. Game looks awesome on a powerful rig with everything maxed.

Think I'm hooked.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
SO I was checking out their website this game is still considered "under development" anyone playing it?

Old video I dug up

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've played it a ton but am holding off on coming back until the full game is out although it's already pretty fleshed out. Mostly just haven't played due to it being summer and have a baby now
tongue.png

The faction system they just implemented is pretty sweet. If you haven't played in a while, they've added a lot of stuff lately.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I've played it a ton but am holding off on coming back until the full game is out although it's already pretty fleshed out. Mostly just haven't played due to it being summer and have a baby now
tongue.png

The faction system they just implemented is pretty sweet. If you haven't played in a while, they've added a lot of stuff lately.
The same. It will undoubtedly be worth money in the end (and is now too), but you might as well hold off until they get closer to release. I think the next act is due this summer.

Small team, so development is slow, but not a bad game.

Caliane

Haven't played in a while. Its a ok diversion. Its not a bad game.. But I find it wholly inferior to PoE.

Argarth

On the verandah
Had a lot of fun with it about 3 months ago, but the pace of updates/news is slow enough (not a complaint) that I decided to just ignore it until formal release.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
so not worth the money till more content comes out?
It's worth the money if you like the genre, it has enough content atm kinda. Probably might as well wait until they release act3 though, then it'll have most content in.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Received this email today.

Esteemed Backers,
We've just released the final segment of Act 3 with Build 26. You may now venture beyond Homestead's north gate into the heart of the Cult of Ch'thon's territory. Fight through the Blood Grove, experience the horror of the Ashen Waste and climb your way up through Darkvale to one of the Cult's largest strongholds. Along the way, you may forge an alliance and make a foe between the Order of Death's Vigil and Kymon's Chosen. For the intrepid and observant explorer, many secrets lie hidden along the way.
Also with this build, the level cap has been raised to 50, granting access to over 70 new epic items. It includes numerous fixes, tweaks to classes and other balancing adjustments, as well as some minor updates to existing art and areas. For a complete list of the multitude of additions and improvements, check out the changelog on the forum and feel free to give us your feedback!
With Act 3 completed, we march to the final segment of the game and our targeted full release, late this year. Coming up in the next few months we will release a yet unannounced 6th class, the new skill devotion system, legendary items and Act 4, in which you will face the final confrontation with the Aetherials and Chthonians. Thanks for sticking with us on this long journey!
If you missed it, we also announced recently that thanks to Steam revenue, we've been able to expand our design team with the addition of Diablo 1 & 2 designer Eric Sexton.
As a reminder, all backers have access to the game now (and have for some time). If you still haven't played and want to know how to claim your Steam key, read about here. (the key you receive via email is for installation of the final game without Steam, to play on Steam, you need to follow the forum instructions to claim your key).
And now back to the development mines with me!
-Arthur

Argarth

On the verandah
^^ That's really good news. Glad to hear it's (finally!!) expected to land before the year is out, with a new class. Still going to wait for full release before firing it up again though.

Really like the cross-classing in this game, so the final level cap increase is what I'm hanging out for.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Last class is out: Shaman. 2h using pet class, so you can zookie it up with occultist if you like, or just melee it up. Seems at lot more fun than arcanist at least.