GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 announced available May 27th

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I run wow at max on my 1070 doing 1080p@144hz and my frames vary from 50 to 200. Not one of those games where frames are steady

spronk

FPS noob
new 1070 and 1080 buyers will get a copy of gears of war 4 with their game, thru oct 30
GeForce GTX Gears of War 4 Bundle

the game is cross play when bought digitally, and this is a digital key offer, so if you redeem it it'll work on your xbox one too. Will require Windows 10 and all that jazz for PC. People are already selling keys on eBay for $30-40.

Some people who bought cards in the last week or two were able to get keys as well by contacting the retailer

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just contacted support for Microcenter and they are emailing me a key. Bought my card last Thursday.

Microsoft store on PC is horrid, so I hope I can just redeem the key on my X1 and see if this game sucks or not. Either way, thanks for the heads up Spronk!

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just slapped the cheap 1060 3 gig into my ~5 year old rigs pcie 2.0x16 slot. Even with a dated AMD phenom 2 processor I'm now running everything fine typically at 100 fps, aside from a dip to 55 now and then. This is the first time in 20 years of building computers that I've ever been able to simply upgrade a single component for 200 dollars instead of building a completely new rig.

Strange times my friends.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Just slapped the cheap 1060 3 gig into my ~5 year old rigs pcie 2.0x16 slot. Even with a dated AMD phenom 2 processor I'm now running everything fine typically at 100 fps, aside from a dip to 55 now and then. This is the first time in 20 years of building computers that I've ever been able to simply upgrade a single component for 200 dollars instead of building a completely new rig.

Strange times my friends.
I lost one of my 670s and was feeling the pain. Bought a 1060 6gb and I'm right back in it. Doom at 1080 maxed running 120fps alone with over watch.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The jump from 600 to 900 was actually the biggest upgrade I have done. But the jump from my 970 to 1070? Not so much. It's much quieter for sure and I usually get to turn on a setting or two more to ultra but it wasn't a massive upgrade I was expecting imo. Still it outputs a lot less heat and have yet to hear the fan churn loudly. I actually think the extra RAM is the best benefit as you can pump up textures to ultra.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Picked up a new laptop that has a GTX 1070 8GB card in it since I wanted something mobile for LANs that friends host, also my current laptop was slowly dying. It's ridiculous how well this the card performs and how little heat it generates in a 15.6 laptop.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Are there any games that support the multi monitor perspective correcting stuff yet?

Apollo64

N00b
The jump from 600 to 900 was actually the biggest upgrade I have done. But the jump from my 970 to 1070? Not so much. It's much quieter for sure and I usually get to turn on a setting or two more to ultra but it wasn't a massive upgrade I was expecting imo. Still it outputs a lot less heat and have yet to hear the fan churn loudly. I actually think the extra RAM is the best benefit as you can pump up textures to ultra.

If you are still at 1080p/60Hz (like most people are) the 1070 is really overkill, as i think it is more suited for a 1440/60 or 1080/144 display. All the midrange cards (GTX 1060, RX470/RX480, GTX 970 etc.) are sufficient imo for standard 1080p.

Apollo64

N00b
Except that you can't see that in a 60Hz display. The 970 can run smoothly at 60fps basically everything except a few weird games.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So I have a weird issue. Sounds like I may need to RMA. My evga 1070 FTW edition last night, while playing WoW, all of a sudden the screen went completely black and the fans cranked to 100%. Had to power down and restart. Temps were around 55. So it wasn't overheating. For some reason, this only happened if I used my second display. If I didn't switch over to my second display (surfing the web) while playing, it didn't seem to crash. From looking around this seems to be an issue with the 1070 but happens more to the 1080. Anyone ever run across this?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Thanks Jooka. RMA time. It's drunk gaming weekend. I hope it comes by tomorrow. But, the good news is it seems (At least for now) if I do not try to use my second display it doesn't black screen and crank the fans.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Did an advanced replacement RMA. Unfortunately, they wouldn't do it for free because my card is a 1070, and the known issue is with the 1080? That's bullshit as far as I am concerned because it's the same FTW model, and the SAME exact issue. Screen goes blank, fans power to high, have to power down and reboot. So I had to pay $44.99 for next day air advanced replacement. Which after processing probably won't get here until Monday anyhow.

Hopefully I will be able to continue playing games as long as I do absolutely nothing on the second screen.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Did an advanced replacement RMA. Unfortunately, they wouldn't do it for free because my card is a 1070, and the known issue is with the 1080? That's bullshit as far as I am concerned because it's the same FTW model, and the SAME exact issue. Screen goes blank, fans power to high, have to power down and reboot. So I had to pay $44.99 for next day air advanced replacement. Which after processing probably won't get here until Monday anyhow.

Hopefully I will be able to continue playing games as long as I do absolutely nothing on the second screen.

I have a EVGA 980 FTW and went through a couple of card RMAs with the exact same issue. i think my current one has done it a few times, during Witcher 3 and Heroes of the Storm at near max on 1440 144hz, new game and/or driver updates seem to help or hurt in combo

but yeah the tuning seems to be a roll of the dice