GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 announced available May 27th

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Those 2160p numbers are not inspiring yet, wondering if the 1080 Ti will even hit 60 fps.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
The nerd in me wants to replace my GTX 980Ti SLI setup with 1080s.... however I am struggling to find a reason. Nothing I play right now (and hey! I have that Asus monitor!) is even chugging on the current setup. I do have a 4k monitor I got for a steal last cyber monday but it only displays 4k in 30 FPS so its pretty useless for gaming.

Considering I am not intrested in a first gen Occulus, I dont really see any point in buying 2 new cards just to not notice any improvement
frown.png
BUT IT IS SHINEY!!!!

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
The nerd in me wants to replace my GTX 980Ti SLI setup with 1080s.... however I am struggling to find a reason. Nothing I play right now (and hey! I have that Asus monitor!) is even chugging on the current setup. I do have a 4k monitor I got for a steal last cyber monday but it only displays 4k in 30 FPS so its pretty useless for gaming.

Considering I am not intrested in a first gen Occulus, I dont really see any point in buying 2 new cards just to not notice any improvement
frown.png
BUT IT IS SHINEY!!!!
Thanks to Evga I'm replacing mine with the step up, but otherwise there is no way I could justify it. The 980 Ti's are faster than 1070's when both are overclocked and many are nearly as fast when overclocked as a stock 1080. On top of that when you figure out how much extra you'd have to spend it's just not worth it. Basically you'd have to get $900 minimum for your current cards just to get the performance you already have (1070) or add another $300-400 to get any real boost in performance with the 1080's.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've got a 1440 monitor and that hitman benchmark for the 1070 has me a bit worried.

spronk

FPS noob
i've 100% hitman on a 970 at 1440p so far, I turned down a few options and get 60 fps constant. The game is really short, like you can finish each of the two missions in 15 minutes or so and then spend hours just redoing the same thing with different tactics but its not really a long game in any shape or fashion. I enjoy it, but its not a game anyone is gonna play a lot of.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Sounds like the 1070 is going to be the last upgrade my desktop ever gets, coming from a GTX 660. I play on a TV at 1080 and that'll allow me to blast Ultra settings on probably everything.

Variise

N00b
Coming from a pair of 980s in SLI I'm not seeing the benefit even with a 1440p monitor at 144 so long as you're running a g-sync monitor that can handle the frame rate variance. Most of the problems come from shit console ports like The Division anyway.

Pass.

I'll keep my eye out on the TI but by then it's probably 6 months until the next card. Right now Nvidia seems to be cycling through cards pretty quick probably because they are trying to complete their transition to the new processes they began to introduce with the 980s. All we are seeing is incremental implementation. In other words this isn't even their final form. =p

Fadaar

That guy
970 SLI should be enough to last me at bare minimum another year, maybe two. Can run Doom at 60-80 FPS consistently @ 2560x1440 as well as everything else that's out right now.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
970 SLI should be enough to last me at bare minimum another year, maybe two. Can run Doom at 60-80 FPS consistently @ 2560x1440 as well as everything else that's out right now.
Yupp, I think the only possible use for this card (even tho it is a beast of a card) would be 3D. OR or whatever can probl use the horsepower in it to smooth things out in max resolution but other then that I dont think we have a game today that needs this kind of power. In a year or two when the game devs had time to tinker with grafix and the grafix engines have been scaled to this it might be worth investing in, but the next 6-12 months I just dont see anything on the horizon demanding a 1080 or 1080 SLI.

Considering that we should have a GTX 1080Ti by then (and likely at the same price, or close to, the GTX 1080 today) I think I will have to deny my geekiness until 2017. (Or a gen 2 OR/Vive comes along and sweeps me of my feet).

spronk

FPS noob
keep in mind DirectX 12 sorta obliterates SLI, basically game makers have to program multi card support inside each game with DX12. Whereas with DX11 Nvidia could tweak stuff inside their drivers to get games to work, but thats not possible anymore with DX12. Of course its a big ?? if more game makers will actually release DX12 versions of their games - Hitman, Quantum Break, Rise of the Tomb Raider are the only ones that come to mind. I think the Vulcan APIs have similar SLI problems.

Not a big deal for current crop of games but I could see more games using Vulcan and DX12 in the future

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Will be replacing 770 with 1070 so furious masturbation inc. My i5-6600 thirsts for more GPU. I've held off on some new games so I can get the ideal master race experience.

The monitor splurge is going to have to wait. I have to buy a car, heh.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Will be replacing 770 with 1070 so furious masturbation inc. My i5-6600 thirsts for more GPU. I've held off on some new games so I can get the ideal master race experience.
I don't think I'll buy it at release price, but once they're close to 300, I'll upgrade my 770 to a 1070. I'm still on a 1080 monitor, but I'm looking at 1440 soon, and my GF will also benefit. She's currently using my old GTX460Ti and it just isn't holding up anymore with her i5-4950. My i5-2500k on the other hand just won't quit. 5 years and counting, some day they will release a mobo feature justifying a new mobo/cpu. LOL