GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 announced available May 27th

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
200$ for 980 performance would be an amazing deal, but i guess we'll have to wait and see the benchmarks first.

They are really attacking the 1070 with that price if true, sure the 480 would be slower but the vfm would be amazing.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They have free sync, which is better because they don't charge for it unlike nvidia does for gsync so monitors with it don't have a premium.

Shadow play I don't think they anything comparable.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, it seems pretty decent but the Radeon 9800 Pro was the last AMD card I was ever happy with. It was a monster for its day but every time after that I've tried AMD (or had to settle due to embedded) they've been a huge disappointment At various points it was the driver support, then they slipped on hardware and it just rotates between those two it seems - here we are today.

Just not worth taking a chance again with them even if I have to pay the nTax.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Does AMD have any tech to compete with gsync and shadowplay?
Is Shadowplay just recording? AMD's software suite offers a recording option, works really well. Not sure if Shadowplay is special though. The 280X I have records every game I own on high settings without an FPS drop.

200$ for 980 performance would be an amazing deal, but i guess we'll have to wait and see the benchmarks first.

They are really attacking the 1070 with that price if true, sure the 480 would be slower but the vfm would be amazing.
Yeah, AMD is playing this really smart. Nividia left a pretty big hole in their line up--most people tend to only go for entry cards, 200$ for a card that can run everything at full in 1080p and very high high on 1440, and handle VR? That's really amazing.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Does AMD have any tech to compete with gsync and shadowplay?
I think the real question is if AMD is going to get its act together and deliver drivers that are not clusterfucks. If they can deliver good drivers I would gladly switch from Nvidia due to the price, but my experience with AMD has been problematic so far unfortunatly.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Is Shadowplay just recording? AMD's software suite offers a recording option, works really well. Not sure if Shadowplay is special though. The 280X I have records every game I own on high settings without an FPS drop.
Not only recording but also pretty much the best streaming protocol you can get.

On the recording front you also have nice DVR type options like saving the last 5-20 minutes of gameplay at full res/fps with a hotkey press.

I have one of the first cards to support it with the 660 and I kinda feel like it's a must have moving forward.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't stream, I barely want to play a game with other people. I really dont care TOO much about 4k right now, since I am not in the market for buying a 4k monitor. I am curious on what the specs are going to be, but I am an AMD homer so i wonder if this is going to be the card for me.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I had an R9 280X, the I used for like 2 months before selling off and swapping for my GTX770. That fucker was great in Battlefield 4, but it couldn't play a fucking flash video higher then 10fps. The drivers sucked hard, never again.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Console hardware and the mobile market.

If their newly announced $200 card actually puts out 980 performance like they claim they will sell metric tons of them.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They will probably sell a lot of these cards. For anyone still on 1080p, this is the best video card you'll ever need at a price that's super cheap.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
At work so can't look into it right now but there any kind of expected release date on that? Been half asset thinking about an upgrade to my old card. Mostly posting so I remember to look later myself.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They will probably sell a lot of these cards. For anyone still on 1080p, this is the best video card you'll ever need at a price that's super cheap.
Yea if the performance is even close to what they are boasting this thing will move like crazy. 200$ to run 60+fps at 1080p in basically every game is a hell of an entry point for the less autistic PC crowd that aren't spending 700$ on 1080s.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I had an R9 280X, the I used for like 2 months before selling off and swapping for my GTX770. That fucker was great in Battlefield 4, but it couldn't play a fucking flash video higher then 10fps. The drivers sucked hard, never again.
Well, the drivers are a lot better now, but Flash will still crash here and there. But it runs every game currently in 1080p super smoothly. I usually don't mind, the desktop is almost strictly for gaming now. It is pretty frustrating though knowing how powerful the card is and seeing it choke on a video. That said, on sale, there is a reason why you can get them for only about half of what Nv is charging; and since now I have to build 4 computers between my daughter, son and wife, that price for being able to run every game is really good. The NV tax stings in multiples.

I suspect if the 480 does what they say, that market will easily be theirs. Most people are just looking for something that will handle high settings on 1080/1440 and VR.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Yea if the performance is even close to what they are boasting this thing will move like crazy. 200$ to run 60+fps at 1080p in basically every game is a hell of an entry point for the less autistic PC crowd that aren't spending 700$ on 1080s.
I've been burned by bad AMD drivers, as well as shitty SLI (Nvidia) trying to be special and running 2 video cards.

But it sounds like 2 of these cards would clearly beat out the top nVidia card if I'm reading this right? I guess I'll keep an eye out for reliable reviews/stats. Nvidia's founders tax and Gsync $$$ actually kept me from just straight up buying their newest card, go figure...