GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 announced available May 27th

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also Crone, with my PC purchase recently I just told my wife I was buying some things. If I told her every part I was ordering she would've tried to micromanage it and save money on lesser parts.

It reminds me of my guitar stuff.

"Why do you need a $1000 amp head, isn't your $150 combo amp loud enough?"

That's all she cares about, volume. I care about tone, versatility, gain stages, etc. It's the same with computer parts. Yes a 960 is much cheaper than a 970 and it will play the latest games, but it is definitely not on the same level.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I flip-flop between whatever brand is making a better product at a better price at the current time, right now for me that was Nvidia.

I do question why anyone would get an AMD CPU though, they've been terrible for so long compared to Intel
They are considerably cheaper which leaves more money for other things like GPU/SSD etc is my guess.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also Crone, with my PC purchase recently I just told my wife I was buying some things. If I told her every part I was ordering she would've tried to micromanage it and save money on lesser parts.

It reminds me of my guitar stuff.

"Why do you need a $1000 amp head, isn't your $150 combo amp loud enough?"

That's all she cares about, volume. I care about tone, versatility, gain stages, etc. It's the same with computer parts. Yes a 960 is much cheaper than a 970 and it will play the latest games, but it is definitely not on the same level.
Yeah, my wife is pretty nerdy, similar to yours (Mine loves Nathan Drake as well!), but she knows enough about computer parts to know when I'm bullshitting her. Doh!

It's all good. This will be a lesson for me in learning how to appreciate what I have already! For 1080 gaming, the 970 will be fine for a really long time. Maybe I can convince her to let me get a 1080Ti in a year when that comes out.
smile.png

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've been burned too badly by the AMD+ATi "lower price point better performance" line years ago to go back. I'm going to stay NVidia + Intel until they burn me. That setup just seems rock solid. Like I said I'm 99% sure it was ATi that fucked up because once I swapped out my ATi card for an NVidia card in that setup my crashes reduced drastically.
Ya, my bro and I have identical pc's other than gfx cards - Mine is an R9 290x, and he's got a 970. Playing Overwatch together I almost constantly ctd some nights and he hasn't had anything like that ever happen to him. Anecdotal at best, but still.... going to wait for the 1080 cards to hit and then probably build another pc (which will hopefully last a few years)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, my wife is pretty nerdy, similar to yours (Mine loves Nathan Drake as well!), but she knows enough about computer parts to know when I'm bullshitting her. Doh!

It's all good. This will be a lesson for me in learning how to appreciate what I have already! For 1080 gaming, the 970 will be fine for a really long time. Maybe I can convince her to let me get a 1080Ti in a year when that comes out.
smile.png
TBH if you aren't going for VR the 970 is going to be fine for a long time, it's the sweet spot of cards right now. I mean my 970 is playing Overwatch at 100-150 FPS on Ultra settings, that's good enough for me. Of course my entire PC is brand new so that may have some to do with it, but not as much as the GPU.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
going to wait for the 1080 cards to hit and then probably build another pc (which will hopefully last a few years)
This baffles me because when you say "hopefully last a few years", my 2500k 4.5 ghz 770 GTX I built god knows how long ago runs everything perfectly with everything I throw at it on Dell IPS 24" 1200p displays.

Malkav

French Madman
Some people actually like to crank up graphics to Ultra+ and have 1440p / WQHD / 4k displays, or even use DSR on 1080p displays.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ya, my bro and I have identical pc's other than gfx cards - Mine is an R9 290x, and he's got a 970. Playing Overwatch together I almost constantly ctd some nights and he hasn't had anything like that ever happen to him. Anecdotal at best, but still.... going to wait for the 1080 cards to hit and then probably build another pc (which will hopefully last a few years)
It could be your windows install or failing components (like ram or power supply).

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've been burned too badly by the AMD+ATi "lower price point better performance" line years ago to go back. I'm going to stay NVidia + Intel until they burn me. That setup just seems rock solid.
This; I gave them their shot many years ago, and then my Radeon 9800 XT literally melted portions of itself into the innards of a recently built rig (~3 months old). NVidia / Intel has proven reliable going on 10+ years now and I'm a fan of convenient trends; besides, any time I'd attempt to research the nuances associated with the competition's most recent / upcoming product specs like a responsible consumer I'd end up right here in the never-ending AMD / Intel debate / discussion / cult / what have you.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
I think most issues with the AMD cards had to do with how ridiculous hot they ran compared to the Nvidia ones. This will likely get fixed with this generation (better late than never). Anyway, it seems that AMD will win in the budget/midrange portion of the market this year and Nvidia in the high end one.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
This; I gave them their shot many years ago, and then my Radeon 9800 XT literally melted portions of itself into the innards of a recently built rig (~3 months old). NVidia / Intel has proven reliable going on 10+ years now and I'm a fan of convenient trends; besides, any time I'd attempt to research the nuances associated with the competition's most recent / upcoming product specs like a responsible consumer I'd end up right here in the never-ending AMD / Intel debate / discussion / cult / what have you.
See, this isn't even anecdotal evidence that ATI/AMD products are crap. This is bad luck with DOA products. I've had that too, and with Nvidia. It didn't stop me from buying a certain brand. Just because it happened once, it doesn't mean the product is shit. On top of that, you've got the vendor (Sapphire, XFX, etc) to blame. It's just flawed logic.

And since we're talking about bad drivers, everyone who thinks Nvidia has a flawless record should Google 364.51 driver. It was back in March, and it caused lots of problems.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
See, this isn't even anecdotal evidence that ATI/AMD products are crap. This is bad luck with DOA products.
Please enlighten me how you are classifying a card that melted in three months of use as a dead on arrival product. ??

Dollar to dollar AMD lacks in all performance benchmarks, run hot as fuck, are poorly engineered and it has been this way for a while now. But, competition is good. So maybe they will start applying themselves one of these days. As of right now, the 1070 is one major kick as card and I find it hard they will do match nvidias level of product for price within the next two years at the very least. AMD is more concerned about keeping its console business.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
This baffles me because when you say "hopefully last a few years", my 2500k 4.5 ghz 770 GTX I built god knows how long ago runs everything perfectly with everything I throw at it on Dell IPS 24" 1200p displays.
I'm not sure if he's talking about the graphics card lasting, or the entire PC he builds lasting.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
See, this isn't even anecdotal evidence that ATI/AMD products are crap. This is bad luck with DOA products. I've had that too, and with Nvidia. It didn't stop me from buying a certain brand. Just because it happened once, it doesn't mean the product is shit. On top of that, you've got the vendor (Sapphire, XFX, etc) to blame. It's just flawed logic.

And since we're talking about bad drivers, everyone who thinks Nvidia has a flawless record should Google 364.51 driver. It was back in March, and it caused lots of problems.
I don?t think anyone has claimed Nvidia have flawless drivers, always and forever.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh cool. Now I can get something else. I've had a GTX 680 for the past 3 years now. Time to upgrade now that the 970 will cost significantly less.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm not even that excited for these cards specifically. I'm excited for what we'll be seeing in the next 3 years or so.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
We built the pc's in 2012 bro, gfx cards are only "newish" things in them! (Though hopefully I can salvage the case fans and power brick/hdd's)