Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

faille

Molten Core Raider
Slightly off topic, but what's the best android app for reading comics on a phone?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
So, who did you like better, Groot or Rocket?

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
We were nitpicking about The Avengers gaping plot holes right after it came out, we didn't wait until now.
GOTG can't even touch the Avengers toes, it's not even in the same league. But yeah people get sand up in their vagina at the slightest hint of criticism.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
GotG was easily more fun than Avengers, and even better dialogue but they're both close in my book in terms of how much I liked them. Avengers was a great super hero flick, probably the best of the genre. GotG was a great movie.

Guardians was just full of things to set it apart. From small things like the title with Star Lord dancing underneath it to Rocket being compelling and multi dimensional rather than lol talking raccoon 4 kids. They never over explained and when they started to they threw in something like Rocket "Blah blah blah"ing the exposition on the infinity stones. Sound track, making fun of itself, pacing and covering so much ground in 2 hours that never felt slow at all. Just a great film.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
By far the best marvel-related movie. Good pacing, fun space-opera style, with some good emotional moments too, like when star-lord is about to grab gamoras hand at the end, and the 80s/90s music works as a nostalgic tool. Far better than their "real" superhero stuff. There is of course many references that are lost on people who don't read marvel comics, but it still works.

Krozman

N00b
The only big problem with GotG, which is the same problem every single Marvel movie has, is that every Villain is really just a non thought out secondary character with no chance of winning. Great movies at least try to convince you that the worlds are actually in peril or something. Killing off a hero is already undeniably foolish thanks to what Xmen Last Stand did to their franchise. You have to make a decision that you're just going in for the "latest episode" of Superhero X knowing that there will always be another episode and nobody critical can possibly die off. Popcorn with no possibility of genuine emotional feeling. In today's world Darth Vader would never die....he'd just lose all the time and narrowly escape each and every time, only to rebuild and threaten the heroes over and over in the endless pursuit of movie money.

Column_sl

shitlord
To be fair they are just setting up Thanos right now which will give you everything you want. These are just b list villains, to get people used to the characters.

Not to mention the Winter Soldier was pretty bad ass. Ultron is another powerful character en route.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
The only big problem with GotG, which is the same problem every single Marvel movie has, is that every Villain is really just a non thought out secondary character with no chance of winning.
Geez, it's a movie based on a comic book! That should clue you in thatthe good guys are going to win. Sure, they might kill off a hero or two, for a little while, but the good guysalwayswin in the end. So that's not why you go to see the movie. You go to seehowthe good guys win. The bigger the threat, the more interesting the plan is to beat the big bad. Marvel writers know this, which is why it's not that big of a deal if the big bad comes off as an underdeveloped ancillary character. They're not the draw, it's their threat that is the draw.

The only difference with the MCU films is that Thanos is actually being developed as a character. Very slowly. Very methodically. By the time it comes for them to take Thanos on you should be invested in that character because they've spent fifteen movies developing him, or whatever number Avengers 3 ends up.

Krozman

N00b
Geez, it's a movie based on a comic book! That should clue you in thatthe good guys are going to win. Sure, they might kill off a hero or two, for a little while, but the good guysalwayswin in the end. So that's not why you go to see the movie. You go to seehowthe good guys win. The bigger the threat, the more interesting the plan is to beat the big bad. Marvel writers know this, which is why it's not that big of a deal if the big bad comes off as an underdeveloped ancillary character. They're not the draw, it's their threat that is the draw.

The only difference with the MCU films is that Thanos is actually being developed as a character. Very slowly. Very methodically. By the time it comes for them to take Thanos on you should be invested in that character because they've spent fifteen movies developing him, or whatever number Avengers 3 ends up.
You're right, and I knew it going in and it didn't spoil the movie because I really enjoyed it. Maybe my point is that originally authentic fantasy is like any genre of movie that is authentic. Not only does it look and feel awesome, but it pulls you emotionally as well. Sin City and the Watchmen come to mind, where you would totally love to see a dozen spinoffs but the hero just gets destroyed in a way that makes the movie 5x better than a generic "beat the bad guy of the day" routine.

I'm not going to argue that The Watchmen was a better movie than the good Marvel movies, I'm not trolling here, but give me a moment in ANY marvel movie as emotionally gripping as when Dr. Manhattan kills Rorschach. It's a moment where the purity of all these heroes just simply cannot exist together and one of them must be destroyed. The complexity of the relationships surpass anything Marvel will ever put out.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You're right, and I knew it going in and it didn't spoil the movie because I really enjoyed it. Maybe my point is that originally authentic fantasy is like any genre of movie that is authentic. Not only does it look and feel awesome, but it pulls you emotionally as well. Sin City and the Watchmen come to mind, where you would totally love to see a dozen spinoffs but the hero just gets destroyed in a way that makes the movie 5x better than a generic "beat the bad guy of the day" routine.

I'm not going to argue that The Watchmen was a better movie than the good Marvel movies, I'm not trolling here, but give me a moment in ANY marvel movie as emotionally gripping as when Dr. Manhattan kills Rorschach. It's a moment where the purity of all these heroes just simply cannot exist together and one of them must be destroyed. The complexity of the relationships surpass anything Marvel will ever put out.
You are basically correct. The issue lies within the concept of limited series vs. ongoing franchises. Spiderman? Yeah, he is isn't going to die in a Spiderman film. But Rorshach totally can in a limited issue series, because after that who gives a fuck? He's not spiderman going through 300+ issues, he's Rorshach going through a small realm of stories. -Any- comic book story that doesn't have a finite end (ie, a limited series or a one-shot or something similar) is going to have very little threat to the main character. The drama isn't the threat; it is how Spiderman deals with the perceived threat. Extrapolate for other Comic Book heroes and you have every story ever.

Edit: also, seeing this tomorrow, because space opera and comic books together sounds magical.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for reminding me. Right in the feels.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Bautista was in the new Riddick movie as well and he wasn't bad.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
To me, Guardians was a more entertaining movie/experience than Avengers and every other Marvel movie out there. No other movie has me entertained throughout its entire duration like this one did. -shrug-