Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

joz123

Potato del Grande
"I come from a planet of outlaws .?.?. Billy the Kid, Bonnie & Clyde, John Stamos."

Fingz_sl

shitlord
I overhyped this and as a result the movie was a let down. It still had value and I'm still glad I went, but it felt like an avoidable side quest..
I can't see how a person could over hype this. Did you think they were going to give you a hand job during the movie?

Replican_sl

shitlord
I overhyped this and as a result the movie was a let down. It still had value and I'm still glad I went, but it felt like an avoidable side quest.
It was boring and slow. Children in the audience were antsy. Several parent/kid pairs walked out.
It was more Star Trek than Avengers. I didn't expect this to be Avengers, but I somehow felt cheated that it wasn't. It was a great dip in the slope of Marvel movie entertainment.
The after credit short was BS.

I will give this some time before seeing it again. I really want it to be good. I doubt I will see it again in theaters however.
I feel like you didn't see the same movie as the rest of us.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
what am I missing about lyrical and that hah. Also if you don't pay attention to TV the full cast will be on Kimel monday night
I'm not sure why I was supposed to be pissed off at Howard the Duck. It probably has to do with some statement I made in the Batman v. Superman thread. Some nerd thought he was being clever.

I liked the movie. A few things that threw me off:

1- The movie felt short, and they could have developed the characters better by showing flashbacks of their origins.

2- In the comics, Drax would one shot Ronan. He was created to be able to kill Thanos, and actually succeeded a few years back. So this puts him on a level higher than Thor and Hulk, and just under Odin level of power.

3- Nova Corps, 'nuff said.

4- The fight scenes with Ronan left much to be desired. A dance off? Really?

These things make me rank this lower than Avengers and Cap 2. But still, Marvel has managed to make a B team like the Guardians relevant. Maybe there's hope for Ant Man/Dr Strange/Black Panther.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
rrr_img_73215.jpg

Nova Corps is the Marvel equivalent of the Green Lantern Corps (except instead of being chosen for being the best, they are chosen to show that the average man can do great things). What were they thinking?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
2- In the comics, Drax would one shot Ronan. He was created to be able to kill Thanos, and actually succeeded a few years back. So this puts him on a level higher than Thor and Hulk, and just under Odin level of power.
rrr_img_73216.jpg

rrr_img_73217.jpg

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked the movie, they covered a lot of Marvel territory, but they took some creative license with a few things that just make you scratch your head.

With Drax, I was expecting a fight between him and Ronan that would like Superman versus Zod in Man of Steel. You'd expect that from Drax, in the comics, he was programmed to kill Thanos and ignore everything else.

They didn't need to have the Nova Corps in there, if they were going to make them non powered.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
When they said Nova Corps, I was expecting something like this:

rrr_img_73218.jpg

And not this:

rrr_img_73219.jpg

And furthermore, Nova Prime looks more like:

rrr_img_73220.jpg

And less like:

rrr_img_73221.jpg

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Saw it for the second time today, as I felt I missed some the first time with the wow factor. Movie lost a little oomph knowing what was coming, especially the one liners which really made the movie for me the first time. Still was pretty awesome though, like Drax more than the first time, Rocket dominated the scenes he was in, but I didn't see as many easter eggs as I thought I would on a second closer watch. Having said that, I am maybe a 3 on a scale of 10 for Marvel geekdom.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Like I said before I really don't mind the Nova Corp is this movie. Rider started as Nova the Human Rocket and all he had was increased strength, invulnerability, and flight. Sure over the years he become stronger but the real turning point for him was the Annihilation Event. He was the ONLY survivor of the Nova Corp at the beginning of the Annihilation story line. That is when he turned into the massive powerhouse Nova Prime that we all want back. The Human Rocket doesn't hold a candle to Richard Rider Nova Prime.
If they can capture that kind of growth with the Nova Corp in the films I'll be happy as a pig in shit. With how awesome the movies have been up until now I'm willing to cut them some slack and give them a chance with it before I get annoyed or pissed about the Nova Corp.

Replican_sl

shitlord
Nerds expecting movies to follow the exact canon of comics are what's wrong with America. You know why they didn't make Drax able to completely own Ronan? Because that's a boring fucking movie.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
If you really want to be a comic book nerd check out Marvels wiki.DraxandRonanaren't that far apart in power. On paper Ronan looks better overall.
Before his current incarnation Drax was more powerful but he didn't look quite as bad ass and he was incredibly dumb. Even more so than he is in the movie.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nerds expecting movies to follow the exact canon of comics are what's wrong with America. You know why they didn't make Drax able to completely own Ronan? Because that's a boring fucking movie.
So they did the opposite, and made Drax look really weak? Because he looked closer to Captain America (in terms of power), than to Odin.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you really want to be a comic book nerd check out Marvels wiki.DraxandRonanaren't that far apart in power. On paper Ronan looks better overall.
Before his current incarnation Drax was more powerful but he didn't look quite as bad ass and he was incredibly dumb. Even more so than he is in the movie.
Outside of the cartoon, I don't see Ronan as just under Odin class, and above Thor and the Hulk. Maybe someone has scans, but I remember him as an FF villain.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I liked the movie. A few things that threw me off:

1- The movie felt short, and they could have developed the characters better by showing flashbacks of their origins.
Seriously? This was the best thing about the movie. We got a 3 minute backstory at the start and that was fucking it for traditional origin story bullshit. Origin stories in these movies need to go the fuck away. The movie was over 2 hours, it "felt short" because it was packed start to finish with good shit. Rather than half of it being origin shit, which would make it feel longer because it's fucking boring and unnecessary. We're all going to a superhero space movie, we're already bought in to the premise that these people are more than normal humans. We don't need to see Gamora get bitten by a radioactive iguana stripper.

As for Drax, I felt he was pretty damn weak as well, but I'm guessing he'll level up later on. Groot was really the only SUPER powered one in the movie, it would be somewhat out of whack to have him at his near-hulk strength levels in this movie. They'll probably go with power gem Drax at some point.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Here is why the Nova Corps couldnt be bad asses...in comics there are a bajillion super powerful people. All on diferent levels and only the most hardcore nerds can tell the difference.

In a movie like this you only want your Heroes and villains to be strong, or else there is no difference between all the characters. If the Nova Corps were all badasses it wouldn't work for the story.

Seriously Comic books make everyone way too strong and there is no normal man.