Guild Wars 2

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
GW2 is being purely cosmetic items AND no sub leads to them having a very high percentage of items and skins tied to gold. For me at least that is a downer - I'd rather do different things depending on the goal I'm setting, and too often it comes down to just doing the most gold-efficient farm and just buy it. Since they started with collections and achievements giving actual rewards instead of simply giving them every 500 AP that has improved somewhat.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
GW2 isn't more of a grind, it just makes it clear the grind is highly optional and a choice. That makes it harder for some people to stomach. Put those same people on a treadmill looking at a picture of Mt Doom and tell them they've got to stay on that treadmill for 100 hours to earn the exact right gear to pass a gear check that lets get on the next treadmill where their friends/heroes are, and well, they'll call that an adventure, not a grind. When they aren't choosing to do it so much as it's expected by either friends or the game and in a way that makes it easier to accept. You're just trying to keep up. You're just trying to play the game, and that's what the game is.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with a good grind (even better if it is optional) - the issue I have with GW2 is that it boils down to the same grind too often, no matter the actual goal (efficiently getting gold and buying shit is MUCH better then farming said shit yourself).

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
If you look at things simply like crafting then yeah the game isn't going to be a grind to you, crafting to 400 is not expansive, the 400-500 levels can be but you can make exotics to make up for it. Crafting ascended IS expensive, and can be a big hurdle for newer players.

There are other parts of the end game that really force you to grind to progress. I'm sure more players are looking at crafting precursors and legendaries at the moment because there's fuck all else to do at the moment. The legendary crafting is fucked up on it's own with the process costing more time and gold to complete than the old ones, that includes having to level the masteries, doing the collections, and having to either craft or buy ascended materials. As you get further into the raids you will be required to have full ascended gear, and with the comps changing as well to suite every boss players will need multiple sets on multiple characters if you want to stick with the same 10 players for all bosses.

For the rest of the game...
Dungeons - nerfed in reward and no longer supported, less players doing them.
Fractals - Just more levels, no new maps, rewards bugged.
WvW - Fucked, that's all that can be said about it at this point.
Spvp - New meta is fucked up, bunker cancer chronomancers, and cancer condi revenants now being stacked by the pro teams. Not p2w huh? balance patch not coming till feb 2016, stronghold map disabled for a week now because of stealth bug staying on minions.
New map metas - got their own problems, verdant seems empty after the raid was implemented, auric seems fine, tangled hardly ever done yet to see it complete myself, dragonstand also seems fine.
Guildhalls - The mother of all grinds for materials and gold, in most cases to get back the upgrades you already had before the expansion. Scribing is also fucked up with the cost associated with it.

Is grinding optional? sure, so is playing the game, they're not doing themselves any good by putting in so many grinding mechanics into the game and making it a hell less fun to play.

P.S also hilariously the devs are apparently too scared to post on their own forums now, they're mostly posting on reddit.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I finished the HoT storyline on my revenant after abandoning the awful Guardian about halfway through.

So the grinds to do the story are not bad. I think the nerfed HP grind for the elites feels just right for the original game's target audience. The map meta's are still their best content along with fractals. Dungeons should be improved. Tremendously.

But who really is the target for this game? Most of the gear and masteries make WoW look like an ultra casual game, but I thought this game was the casual champion of "play your way?" Anyway, masteries become a bit too grindy for me as it goes on with no super obvious benefit beyond convenience and wrapping up map completions.

In all, the xpac feels like too little content and masteries were used to cover that. I still think it's probably worth the price of admission once s3 starts. The storyline is pretty damn good. Final boss was better than zhaitan but still fairly easy if you play your class right.

I played casually so didn't really touch pvp much. I want to unlock the reaper on a necro but I'll do that later. The two classes I played kinda burned me out. I still miss the trinity.

Ultimately, this xpac missed the goals of exploration that made the first one so great to put in place a very linear map progression. It needed a bit more randomness. Overall, maps were very pretty and fun to explore. Gliding was awesome, but it was all over fast.

Oh and while the story is good. The dialogue is written and delivered often in a very childish way.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
What is the status of this game? I used to get emails from ArenaNet with updates and new events/story chapters. Haven't seen one in a long time. Are they still riding on the Expansion?

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Not much new other than the new spvp season started feb 23rd.
Shatterer got revamped.
You can glide in tyria now.
No details on wvw other than rumors.
Nothing on living story.
Seasonal update in April.
In the meantime, enjoy moar wings and gliders.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WvW was utterly destroyed by HoT and the idiocy of Mike O'Brien's love of metrics. What a f'ing tard.

They have a major revamp of WvW coming, but it won't be out till summer / fall. And given their history, I don't hold out much hope for it. They haven't released any details.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same. A lot more grinding since HoT. But if you liked the PvE before then it will feel familiar. SPvP is the standard Fotm stuff that all mmos go through.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Colin Johanson has left Anet to work with Amazon games I believe, which is now rumored to have 200 devs from most of the big studios.
Mike "if you like wvw you really love pve" O'Brien will be stepping in for him for now.

Anet did a Reddit AMA...
http://dulfy.net/2016/03/05/gw2-deve...ama-on-reddit/
I'm Mike O'Brien, here with GW2 dev team. AMA! : Guildwars2

Summary...
GW2 Reddit Developer AMA Summary - Dulfy
Missed the AMA? Here's a summary : Guildwars2

Lots of dev answers to various issues, some highlights.
Raid wing 2 releasing next week.
Raid wing 3 releasing in may/june.
Living story season 3 will start as early as july.
Wvw overhaul being broken down into smaller parts and released when ready instead of just waiting to put it all together for one big release. Live beta testing of improvements to begin after april update.
Taking a second look at dungeon rewards.

Hi Reddit,

I'm here today to answer some questions and to share some news.

The news is that I'm taking over as the game director of Guild Wars 2 for a while. Colin will be leaving us. Colin is a personal friend, leaving on good terms, and I wish him all the best.

Game direction is a big job. I have a lot of talented people helping me in the role, and we're all here to answer questions today. Steven Waller continues to direct Living World and Raids. Stephen Clarke-Willson, another long-term veteran of the company, will be directing WvW. John Corpening and Hugh Norfolk are here to talk about PvP. We have Crystal Reid, Paul Ella, and Jon Olson here to talk about Raids, Nellie Hughes representing Living World, Sean Hughes representing Fractals, Shuai Liu and Tyler Bearce representing WvW. We've got Leah Hoyer here to talk Narrative, James Ackley here to talk Audio, Steve Thompson here to talk Cinematics, Roy Cronacher here to talk Creatures, Ester Sauter and Lance Hitchcock representing QA and QA engineering, John Smith representing Megaservers, and more devs joining us as we continue!

I'm excited to be back in this role. I'll say up front that I do eventually have to hire to replace myself. Believe it or not, running a company is a lot of work too.
wink.png
But in the meantime I get to lay down the path I believe in. One thing I believe is that a game director represents the players. So I think it's only natural that my first official act as game director is to hang out and talk shop with the players. And that's what we'll do today.

To kick it off, I'll give some updates on what we're working on and how we're going about it.

We recently started PvP season two and we're about to launch the next raid wing. After that we're packaging up and preparing our next big quarterly update for April. The April update is about reducing grind, clearing away some tedium, getting quickly to the fun, and improving rewards. We've always said that Guild Wars should be about having fun rather than preparing to have fun, and this will be a back-to-our-roots kind of update. After the April update, we'll start live beta-tests of improvements to WvW. Our goal is to be very incremental and visible with the changes we're making there, so that players are involved every step of the way. Further on, we'll launch the next raid wing in May or June, then Living World and the next quarterly update.

You've seen in past years that we went through times when the whole company worked on one thing. In 2013, the year we shipped 21 Living World updates, pretty much the whole company was working on Living World. In 2015, we were all working on the expansion. Going forward we're putting ourselves in a more sustainable mode where live and expansion don't compete with each other.

We have about 120 devs working on the live game, 70 devs on Expac2, and 30 devs on core teams that support both. Within these groups we have cross-discipline teams with focused missions. For example on Live we have the PvP team, the WvW team, the Fractals team, the Raids team, the Living World team, the Legendaries team, and a couple others. The teams are charged with carrying a feature from inception and design through completion. When they finish, we typically package work from multiple teams into a single release, then we hand it off to release teams for final voice integration, localization, QA, and release management.

The final thing you should know is that we're working hard to avoid having a default assumption that "this thing will ship on this date," or even, "this thing will ship," and instead we're proactively deciding to ship things when they're done and polished and we've played them and love them. So if you ask us for a list of things that will ship in April, we'll probably be coy because we think it's nice for you to have presents to unwrap on release day, but more than that, the truth is we don't even know. We're working on a lot of potentially great improvements for April, all themed in the direction of less grind and more rewards, and they won't all make the cut, but any reasonable subset will make a great release.

And with that, let's get to the AMA! It's a big game and there's a lot to talk about. I'll be here for about three hours this afternoon, with other developers coming through for shorter periods.

Mike O'Brien

Edit: Well we went over our allotted time, but I do have to wrap it up now. Thanks everyone for the great questions and conversations! We typed furiously and answered everything we could.

I'll be back here to chat again periodically. Not all the time, because then that would change this subreddit from being a place where players talk to each other into a place for players to post to devs, and we'd lose what we all love about this place. But periodically.

In the meantime, you know my email address.
wink.png
I get a lot of email, so I can't reply to it all, but I do read any letter I get from a Guild Wars 2 player.

See you next time!

Itzena_sl

shitlord
So this is like when Blizzard realised about six months into Cataclysm that targeting everything towards the poopsockers and organised groups was afucking stupid ideaand it's actually the casual players who pay the bills, so quick nerfeverything, right?
biggrin.png

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep.

HoT outright destroyed WvW, it's empty as a tomb and their "queues" are a lie. Jade Quarry has a queue to get into the main map in WvW but once in you realize there are only 5 other people in the whole map. And nobody every plays the new map. Fucking morons.

The rest of HoT is pretty much just grinding and not fun. I hope they turn it around, there is a lot to like about Guild Wars. But they gave up their manifesto and sold their soul to the cash shop.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
So Anet decided today they will be shipping the short bow legendary and then put the rest of the new legendary weapons development on hold, a feature that was suppose to come with the expansion.
Other legendary stuff is still being worked on.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...eapons-6/first
Mike O Brien_sl said:
Hi all,

In the upcoming Spring 2016 Quarterly Update, we'll launch the new legendary short bow, Chuka and Champawat. The team outdid themselves on this one. This new precursor journey takes you through a memorable experience inspired by a real-world story, and the bow you craft at the end is the perfect commemoration of that journey. I hope you all check it out.

Last year we talked about plans to gradually build out a second set of legendary weapons through live content updates. That's a big responsibility.We have a team of six developers working on that, who could work on it for years to come.

As game director I have to make tough trade-offs. One thing I believe is that we have to focus on the core game first before taking on additional responsibilities. I wrote in the Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto in 2010 that our vision was to create a living, dynamic world, where there's always something to do. Let's ensure we succeed on that front.

So, after shipping Chuka and Champawat, I've asked that we indefinitely suspend work on new legendary weapons. This team of developers will instead shift their efforts back to Living World style content, building new journeys and events for everyone to participate in.

I know this will be a controversial decision. I'll hang out with you here on the forums for a little while today to discuss it. And I'm always available by email.

Mo

Nero and Onevstheworld, you asked if this means that LW can come sooner than July.

Full story episodes have a long lead-time. But I don't think LW content has to be all about the episodes. So. maybe.

But I'm not here today to make predictions or promises. I'd rather we start by shipping, then talk about what we shipped.

Mo

Obviously I go into this knowing that some players will be very upset. That's why it's such a tough decision.

Ankdarkwolf, Darkmikau, Ballads, Spira, Caerbannog, Cysgod, you each posted a variant of an accusation I've seen many times over the past few months on the forums, something along the lines of, "AN shipped half an expansion with HoT." I take issue with that. We shipped a new region full of content, a new mastery system, gliding, guild halls, a new profession, nine new elite specializations for existing professions, and more. Then we shipped precursor journeys for existing legendaries, and said, "We've been working hard on new legendary weapons, the first handful of which will be introduced in Heart of Thorns, with more to come in subsequent updates." While I fully get that you're disappointed today, this is not about us shipping half an expansion pack.

Mo

Thanks for all the comments. I know there's nothing I'm going to say that will make you feel better, but I'll share some final thoughts for the night.

I said three weeks ago I'd focus on sustainability and quality. I want to reiterate the part about sustainability. Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but how about the recent drought of content? That kind of thing happens when we spread ourselves too thin, and when we let the content development pipeline empty out so we can fight fires. What I think we actually owe you is sustainable, predictable, high-quality content. I'm making a decision that's painful in the short-term so we can position ourselves to deliver that.

Akuni.8604:
Consider this. HoT currently has: 3 new maps (which are still buggy looking at DS) which are grindy as hell, Elite Specs which are heavy powercreep (pay to win in PvP.), a Story which is short but at least good (if you ignore the myriad of bugs f.e. in the Mordi battle), Guild halls, 2 Raids with 5 1/2 bosses, a new PvP map (which is quite unbalanced) and now only 4 legy weaps (3/4 being rarely used thanks to being underpowered or buggy). That's it?

I previously addressed the "half an expansion" thing, and I can point you to pages like this one and this one (Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)), but that doesn't matter because it's just arguing. My job is to entertain you, not to argue with you.

I strongly believe that we will in fact entertain you. We're a team of people who love the game that you love, and are working on things we're confident you'll love. But I'm not here to convince you of that, and I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it. You can make that judgment in April, and each subsequent time we ship. I will work to make you happy, and I'll do it by making you happy with what we ship, not with what we promise to ship.

Mo

As of this week WvW reset has been moved back to Fridays.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...ing-March-25th

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Their development pipeline and long term planning must be pretty fucked up to make these kinds of shifts.

Like I haven't read a single good thing about the game since HotS, which is quite incredible

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That's probably the reason for the recent changes though - the old game director that "left to pursue other interests" was responsible for HotS and the old production schedules, the new one is trying to right the ship.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
That's probably the reason for the recent changes though - the old game director that "left to pursue other interests" was responsible for HotS and the old production schedules, the new one is trying to right the ship.
Except the new one was the old one's boss, who by a lot of accounts sticks his hands into everything, highly doubt the old one was the only reason why the ship has gone off course.

It always seemed to me that they mismanage their staff and development, they already have 70 people working on the next expansion, 6 were on legendaries now on living story, another 5 on raids, I would guess around the same amount on wvw, while stating they've spread themselves thin, nevermind that they decided to add to their plate with raids and stating they would do 2 raids a year. Now they can't even finished content they sold access to with the expansion. The real problem is still sitting on top of Anet.