Guild Wars 2

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The last time I played GW2 was probably 2013-ish. Really enjoyed it but it felt like it lacked the character (more specifically, gear) depth I was used to with other popular MMOs and I eventually let it go.

I know there have been at least a couple of major expansions since then. I'm so desperate for some MMO time that I'm toying with the idea of picking this back up again, although I guess my old accounts are probably gone now.
why would your accounts be gone?

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
why would your accounts be gone?
I said accounts. What I really meant was characters. Might be silly to think that but I just assume there's a better-than-decent chance they've been purged after such a long time with no activity.

Back in 2019 when Blizz launched Classic, I recall one day logging into the Retail side to piddle around on my old toons on Alexstrazsa for the first time in probably a dozen years. Unfortunately, they were gone. I even went through every NA server on the list thinking perhaps I had remembered wrong but all of them were empty. I guess it's possible I had deleted my toons way back when and just didn't remember doing it, but that would've been really out of character for me to do so doubtful.

I guess I can just download the game again since it's free and actually check for myself if Arena.net chucked 'em or not.

Edit: I guess I don't even have to do that. Website has an account check link at the top.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I said accounts. What I really meant was characters. Might be silly to think that but I just assume there's a better-than-decent chance they've been purged after such a long time with no activity.

Back in 2019 when Blizz launched Classic, I recall one day logging into the Retail side to piddle around on my old toons on Alexstrazsa for the first time in probably a dozen years. Unfortunately, they were gone. I even went through every NA server on the list thinking perhaps I had remembered wrong but all of them were empty. I guess it's possible I had deleted my toons way back when and just didn't remember doing it, but that would've been really out of character for me to do so doubtful.

I guess I can just download the game again since it's free and actually check for myself if Arena.net chucked 'em or not.

Edit: I guess I don't even have to do that. Website has an account check link at the top.
When I returned to WoW after a 10ish year hiatus I had to asked support to help me find them. They were present and accounted for without issue. I'd be very surprised if ArenaNet deleted them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ive never played an MMO that deletes your characters. Server merges yes but not deleted. Ive had my account since day and log in maybe once every 5 years. And have had no issues.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I ended up dropping off the game right before the first expansion released, and only came back a couple years ago (so...at least five years? maybe a little more) and all my stuff was as I left it, so you shouldn't have to worry about anything being purged.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The last time I played GW2 was probably 2013-ish. Really enjoyed it but it felt like it lacked the character (more specifically, gear) depth I was used to with other popular MMOs and I eventually let it go.
GW2's item progression is horizontal. However, the depth to be found is in the build system and excellent combat mechanics. The game is legit fun once you get to 80 and spec into one of the elite specializations.

Also, I returned to the game in 2019 or so and the account and characters I had created at release back in 12 was still there.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
GW2's item progression is horizontal. However, the depth to be found is in the build system and excellent combat mechanics. The game is legit fun once you get to 80 and spec into one of the elite specializations.

Also, I returned to the game in 2019 or so and the account and characters I had created at release back in 12 was still there.
Most of my toons were lvl 80. I know my main was. That part I remember. And I think they had just introduced Ascended? gear, or something like that shortly before I quit. Whatever it was, it was extremely grindy to obtain/craft and I was already on the verge of quitting so I don't think I had any of it yet.

What I don't remember was the part about elite specializations. Was that introduced in one of the expansions?

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally finished downloading the client and got to log in to see all of my toons appear to still be in tact.

Logged into my main, a thief, who was in Lion's Arch. A little overwhelming as I don't remember a damn thing about anything in game though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So it looks like this came out on steam today but you can't use your old stuff. Gotta start fresh.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Not a bad expansion so far other than them just absolutely beating you over the head with Female characters.

Rolling a thief this go around and the new spec is very strange to me so far. You port around casting shadow wells (AE) that does different things and it's very difficult to get used to but seems very tanky with the build I'm using.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What?! Really? That’s fucking stupid
It's either your account on ArenaNet or your account on Steam. Can't migrate from one to the other.

(if you're already playing on ArenaNet, why do you need a Steam version? The patcher?)

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What?! Really? That’s fucking stupid

It's fairly typical for games that came out before the move to steam. BDO and a bunch of others are the same. They already have the players from before and don't have to give steam a cut from those accounts for future purchases.

Destiny 2 was cool though and migrated.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Tons of free items in the shop for anyone hoping back in. Make sure to claim them.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but are they clunky to play or not? Some classes were ass to play imo.