Guild Wars 2

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Transmutation being a limited resource that you have to buy with cash if you ever exhaust the ones you get from exploration is pretty shitty too.
1) You get transmutation charges on a few of the daily login chests.
2) Assuming you have a free character slot, you can create a character, fully map all of a couple cities, and you have your transmutation charges.

penalty_sl

shitlord
So whats the point of WvW? I did it for a bit for the first time today and it was pretty confusing. Eventually ended up finding a skermish of about 10vs10 people. Everyone just sat at ranged and shot bows at each other. I was able to dash in and land a few kills (warrior) and get a few bags of loot, but as far as exp it was a dud.

eventually got bored of the bow fest and just left

Also, as an almost level 50 warrior with shit gear I was able to fight what visually looked like well geared 80s. Whats the deal with that?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
So whats the point of WvW? I did it for a bit for the first time today and it was pretty confusing. Eventually ended up finding a skermish of about 10vs10 people. Everyone just sat at ranged and shot bows at each other. I was able to dash in and land a few kills (warrior) and get a few bags of loot, but as far as exp it was a dud.

eventually got bored of the bow fest and just left

Also, as an almost level 50 warrior with shit gear I was able to fight what visually looked like well geared 80s. Whats the deal with that?
WvW scales your level up to 80 and if you're looking for exp in WvW, unless you're capping things consistently it will be a dud. The only good exp in WvW for skirmishes is going to be WvW exp. If you want level exp, go to the Edge of the Mists.

penalty_sl

shitlord
Went to edge of the mists and found a zerg train and rode it for about an hour and gained 2 levels. Shit is way faster than hearts/events. I also can use the badges to buy exotic armor at 80 right?

Shoulda been doing this shit awhile ago.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I ended up getting to 70 last night, then the first part of the story mission took me to 73. Headed back to Lion's Arch and hit 80 in like 20 minutes of cooking (used a crafting booster, but I'm not sure it actually mattered much). I'd been gathering a lot while running around, and I used the "Top 5 Hearts" recipe guide at GW2Crafts.net to save a bit of money. I think it cost me about 2.5G for the things I still needed to get off the TP. Definitely worth it to not have to slog through those last 7 levels.

Not really sure what to do next. I've just been doing the world bosses like usual, but that got me barely anything in terms of upgrades. Mostly just level 80 green weapons, at least that helped some.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
You can do almost everything in the game without getting good gear, so just wear the shit you randomly loot while spending a day getting some gold (if you dont have any), then buy full exotic zerker (or whatever you fancy). Get the right runes/sigils, and you should have the laurels for ascended trinkets too unless you are on a brand-new account. Then you're pretty much done. Ascended main hand /2hander is the only reasonable upgrade left. Once you have that you could get more ascended weapons or the armor if you cared, but it's an incredibly small gain for a ton of time and money.

Vorph

Look for cheap exotics that match the berserker stats without having the prefix. Most of them are cheaper than pearl weapons by a large margin (sometimes >50%). Ebonblade vs. pearl greatsword, Serpentstone vs. pearl mace, Glimmerfang vs. pearl dagger, etc. Place buy orders too, instead of just taking the maximum Buy It Now price. I got my Ebonblade for 3.9g and my Serpentstone for 1.89g, saving almost a gold in the process. Chump change in the long run obviously, but at the moment I've got less than a gold to my name after buying weapons and a set of masterwork armor. (Edit: It only took about 20 minutes for someone to take my offered price too.)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I ended up getting to 70 last night, then the first part of the story mission took me to 73. Headed back to Lion's Arch and hit 80 in like 20 minutes of cooking (used a crafting booster, but I'm not sure it actually mattered much).
Crafting booster is useful to reduce the amount of components to level. Which doesn't matter much with cooking since it's easy to get them. It is much more important when you're trying to level 425-500 in gear crafting, because you will need lots of relatively expensive/rareish components, so anything you can avoid spending is good.
Not really sure what to do next. I've just been doing the world bosses like usual, but that got me barely anything in terms of upgrades. Mostly just level 80 green weapons, at least that helped some.
You'll eventually get good rare or exotic weapons.

One thing you can do is farm some karma, then head to the Zaithan zones (Cursed Shores/Arah). There are vendors who provide good exotic armor for karma. Look on the wiki which stats you're looking for, and head to the appropriate temple. With mega-servers, it's usually under control (or people are coming from all over the map to do the event).

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea what exactly is the gear progression once you hit 80?
There is pretty much no progression, but to make it short: get a full set of level 80 berserker affix items, armor, weapons, jewelry. You can:

- Craft it (haha I was kidding, forget it, it's a pain in the ass)
- Buy from the TP (70-80g in total, plus extra for weapons, some of those can cost a good amount)
- Buy a set of armor from karma vendor at 42k karma a piece in Cursed Shore, Temple of Grenth if I remember correctly.
- Run a fuckton of Citadel of Flame dungeon, at least path 1 as daily: with tokens you can buy all exotic pieces.
- Buy a set of Superior runes for your armor: the good ones range from 1 or 2 golds each to a dozen gold each, multiply by 6.
- Buy a set of Superior sigils for your weapons: same deal as with armor runes. Two-handed weapons can use double sigils.

Once you are full exotic and do finally normalized damage:

- Run fractals to get a backpiece (or craft it for a stupid amount of gold and/or farming shit components), eventually a better weapon (you can do it without full exotics)
- Craft ascended weapons (armor is a gold sink of epic proportions), sinking a fuckton of gold for a minuscule upgrade.
- Sink an ungodly amount of time plus an amazing amount of luck into crafting a legendary
- Buy a legendary on the TP for a stupid amount of gold (a few thousand gold pieces, depending on gem to gold ratio, it can cost a couple hundreds in real money, just to let you know)

This is if you want to max out.

Alternative, cheap bastard path: buy the level 76/78 exotic berserker armor. Run CoF for tokens to buy weapons. Buy cheap runes and sigils. Find out the dps difference is not that massive and enjoy the game nonetheless. Most of the content, except a few zones and fractals, scale you down, so ascended gear becomes exotic gear. End result: tiny difference. Stacking might and vulnerability does a lot more than upgrading gear to the last tier.

Once you're done, start farming gold for skins (or buy them with money).

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There is pretty much no progression
Since there's no real elder game, you need to decide a goal (preferably a long-term one), like unlocking as many weapon skins possible without BL scraps, getting high achievement points, crafting your own legendary, getting all WvW skills, whatever. Then checklist it, and go.

This is why I've said I'm crafting a full ascended set. Not because I need one, but because I decided it would be my goal for GW2.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
100% map is a good idea to see what you missed during leveling.

Run all the dungeon paths, but tell people you are new, the community likes to not waste much time and just skip trash wherever possible. CoF p1 and 2 are fast enough to run daily, decent source of tokens for armor and weapon, gold and xp to unlock all the skills.

Too bad you have to unlock living story now, it's a decent stuff to run through solo.

Caliane

There is pretty much no progression, but to make it short: get a full set of level 80 berserker affix items, armor, weapons, jewelry. You can:

- Craft it (haha I was kidding, forget it, it's a pain in the ass)
- Buy from the TP (70-80g in total, plus extra for weapons, some of those can cost a good amount)
- Buy a set of armor from karma vendor at 42k karma a piece in Cursed Shore, Temple of Grenth if I remember correctly.
- Run a fuckton of Citadel of Flame dungeon, at least path 1 as daily: with tokens you can buy all exotic pieces.
- Buy a set of Superior runes for your armor: the good ones range from 1 or 2 golds each to a dozen gold each, multiply by 6.
- Buy a set of Superior sigils for your weapons: same deal as with armor runes. Two-handed weapons can use double sigils.

Once you are full exotic and do finally normalized damage:

- Run fractals to get a backpiece (or craft it for a stupid amount of gold and/or farming shit components), eventually a better weapon (you can do it without full exotics)
- Craft ascended weapons (armor is a gold sink of epic proportions), sinking a fuckton of gold for a minuscule upgrade.
- Sink an ungodly amount of time plus an amazing amount of luck into crafting a legendary
- Buy a legendary on the TP for a stupid amount of gold (a few thousand gold pieces, depending on gem to gold ratio, it can cost a couple hundreds in real money, just to let you know)

This is if you want to max out.

Alternative, cheap bastard path: buy the level 76/78 exotic berserker armor. Run CoF for tokens to buy weapons. Buy cheap runes and sigils. Find out the dps difference is not that massive and enjoy the game nonetheless. Most of the content, except a few zones and fractals, scale you down, so ascended gear becomes exotic gear. End result: tiny difference. Stacking might and vulnerability does a lot more than upgrading gear to the last tier.

Once you're done, start farming gold for skins (or buy them with money).
you can get armor and weapons from spvp too btw.

"citadel of flame" dungeon track will give you 3 weapons, 240 tokens and 1 piece of armor. (in addition to loot bags, and other rewards, exp tomes/transmutes)
depending on play, you can do a track in 1 day. maybe 8-10 hours of playtime.
Super rewarding for weapons, a bit less so for armor. but really still more then actually running the dungeon probably.
Citadel of Flame Dungeon Track - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Caliane

should also point out, there are ways to get ascended armors, without crafting.
Such as collecting biolum pieces.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
you can get armor and weapons from spvp too btw.

"citadel of flame" dungeon track will give you 3 weapons, 240 tokens and 1 piece of armor. (in addition to loot bags, and other rewards, exp tomes/transmutes)
depending on play, you can do a track in 1 day. maybe 8-10 hours of playtime.
Super rewarding for weapons, a bit less so for armor. but really still more then actually running the dungeon probably.
Citadel of Flame Dungeon Track - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)
Ehm... this is what I get for being away for a while, I didn't know the existance of these tracks. On the other hand I've never really been into PvP.

Vorph

Weapons are the easy (and most important) part anyway. I spent 12.5g total on Ebonblade (GS), Maw of the Damned (Axe), and Serpentstone (Mace). Those are the named equivalents to exotic pearl weapons with Berserker's prefix. The most expensive one was the axe at 6.75g, but that's fine because it comes pre-socketed with Superior Sigil of Force which is worth ~7.25g and happens to be the sigil that I'm supposed to use anyway.

That's for a warrior, but I assume that all the other less-played classes have cheaper or at least the same prices due to lower demand.
------------------

Couple random questions:

I'm curious what other warriors do at world bosses such as Megadestroyer. The ranged zerg keeps him out in the middle of the lava the whole time so melee is out of the question. Do you bring a bow even though he's immune to burning? Or is a rifle better in that case? Melee is really fucking annoying in this [PVE] game, seems like someone at ANet has a hard-on for making fights as melee unfriendly as possible.

I've got like 200k karma now, thoughts on whether it's actually worth bothering with exotic armor that can't be salvaged or if I should just convert it to gold (cloth gloves -> mystic toilet)? It wouldn't generate enough gold to actually buy berserker's draconic armor though, so I'm thinking that maybe it's not really such a bad idea to farm another 50k karma, buy a set of berserker's armageddon, and put ~25g worth of Scholar runes in it even if I can never get them back.

Anyone know if there's any other way to contact ANet support other than their bullshit ticket system? I'm at 12+ days waiting for a password reset on my GW1 account so I can link it. Looking at the tech support forum, I see people who have been waiting over two *months* for the same thing, which is fucking insane.