Guild Wars 2

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started playing this again after a very lengthy break. I always like the game. Just ran out of things to do.

I had forgotten what dying to falling damage was like. Damn did that happen a lot this weekend.
smile.png

Jump off a ledge for a shortcut, doesn't look that high...dead.

Fight near the hedge of a cliff, dodge/roll off the cliff and die.
smile.png

Fight near the hedge of a cliff, get knocked back off the cliff and die.

Doing a jump puzzle, and occidentally double tap the forward key to dash off the puzzle and die.

Still trying to do the jumping puzzle and just miss a jump and die(a lot).

It was a lot of fun.
smile.png

The weirdest thing about the game, it's the most social and anti-social mmo at the same time.

People are constantly working together to complete events, people will rez you in battle, or after the battle.

People will come help you when they pass by and see you fight a big elite/boss mob.

It's all very social...yet not a single word is spoken. Noone ever actually group or talk to each other...but they are constantly fighting and helping each other. It's really weird.
Didn't talking while grouped pretty much die with Everquest? If you use Vent, then yes you could but otherwise current MMO fight mechanics can make it a little difficult to type and fight. You can, but it feels like a chore.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The not talking is a side effect of very active games. Given a large majority of people are clickers GW2 is one of those games unless you are in vent with them or in a town chances are they won't be able to talk to you if any combat is going on even if they want to.

It is also why EQ was such a social game. When you are stuck for 5 minutes staring at your spell book you tend to want to chat with people to pass the time.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wouldn't bother trying to figure this one out. Gems were incredibly easy to get with gold and other means (when I was playing).

A fool and their money.. as they say.
Shortly after release (2 or 3 months?) the gold to gem conversion was crazy (it's way different from the gem to gold): I remember that for all my hard earned gold (not much to be honest, but way above 100) I would have gotten the equivalent of 2 hours pay at work. I'd rather buy with cash than farm gold for gems at that point.

Caliane

The not talking is a side effect of very active games. Given a large majority of people are clickers GW2 is one of those games unless you are in vent with them or in a town chances are they won't be able to talk to you if any combat is going on even if they want to.

It is also why EQ was such a social game. When you are stuck for 5 minutes staring at your spell book you tend to want to chat with people to pass the time.
yeah. stopping and typing? good luck with that.

Making emotes/canned responses a bit more interactive/easy would probably be a nice way to improve mmo's on the surface.

World bosses trains are a thing now, for anyone that quit long ago in this.
Event Timers | MegaServer | Guild Wars Temple
They are on timers, shared across all servers. So, you can use a timer like this, and just go from one to the other. most are fairly autoattack easy.
Tequatl requires co-operation, and players get vocal during it fairly often.
Jormag marginally.
Triple trouble is the most complex. haven't even seen it completed..

Silver wastes is the end game zone that orr SHOULD have been. its pretty phenomenal. not on the timer list. but you do have to have a map working together to upgrade and defend 5 keeps. then kill 4 bosses at each keep, the push 3 different lanes to kill 3 bosses. So it requires 4 separate 15+ man groups.

Of note, waiting for them to spawn, people do also get chatty, drop "fun" items, etc. check out everyones pretty princess dressup. Sadly no inspect to help with that though. Nor, an offline armory. there is a 3rd party version for showing off dyes/armor.

Gold to gems now would be crazy yeah.
way way too much things to spend gold on. Making the conversion dumb. you need gold. not gems.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Staring at a spellbook would make me browse rerolled not talk with my group.
Back in my day I cast two spells and then started at an ugly spell book uphill both ways!! And yes thinking back on it its really amazing that eq was so popular probably because nobody had ever seen anything like it before they were willing to put up with some really crazy stuff. Seriously 10 minutes of sitting still to get full mana was insane.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Event Timers | MegaServer | Guild Wars Temple
They are on timers, shared across all servers. So, you can use a timer like this, and just go from one to the other.
Just type in /wiki World Boss ingame. It'll bring up the wiki page with a proper timer, so you don't have to use any of these bloated, ad-infested pages.

Nor, an offline armory. there is a 3rd party version for showing off dyes/armor.
You can preview absolutely ever single piece of armor ingame. Check the wardrobe in your banktab. Dyes are a bit more tricky, but can be previewed from the TP.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Did they ever make necro's like super awesome? Last I played they weren't really wanted in groups and stuff.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
It depends on what you mean by super awesome. They're fine for most things, but if you're looking to push for speed records and such, necros have low burst damage and almost no group buffing synergy, so they're inferior to other options when making the ultimate group.

Caliane

Just type in /wiki World Boss ingame. It'll bring up the wiki page with a proper timer, so you don't have to use any of these bloated, ad-infested pages.

You can preview absolutely ever single piece of armor ingame. Check the wardrobe in your banktab. Dyes are a bit more tricky, but can be previewed from the TP.
thats not really what I was talking about.
I meant, offline viewer. "look at my pretty dressup!/acheives/gear!"
Caliane @ Skullcrusher - Community - World of Warcraft

like everyone has to just use screenshots to show off.
For all your Guild Wars 2 fashion needs.

or 3rd party.
GW2 Style

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
for WvW absolutely. PvE, nope.
The imbalances between the classes would be a much bigger issue if it wasn't so easy to level an alt to 80. Started playing again a couple months ago, not a ton but consistently. Only had 1 lvl 80, now I have 4.

Instant level and xp items drop like candy now, so the last 10 levels on 2 of my toons took all of 10 seconds. Saving the rest for a Revenant. Have 15 or so level potions now and a ton of xp items. If I'm still playing by the time the expansion comes out then I may have enough for 40 or so levels. That's from not even trying.

Anyways, leveling is easy so if a player doesn't like how one of the classes plays in pvp,wvw or pve, they can just switch to another. Altaholic's dream.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
The imbalances between the classes would be a much bigger issue if it wasn't so easy to level an alt to 80. Started playing again a couple months ago, not a ton but consistently. Only had 1 lvl 80, now I have 4.

Instant level and xp items drop like candy now, so the last 10 levels on 2 of my toons took all of 10 seconds. Saving the rest for a Revenant. Have 15 or so level potions now and a ton of xp items. If I'm still playing by the time the expansion comes out then I may have enough for 40 or so levels. That's from not even trying.

Anyways, leveling is easy so if a player doesn't like how one of the classes plays in pvp,wvw or pve, they can just switch to another. Altaholic's dream.
I just dusted off GW2, I already have 5 level 80s (warrior, necro, mesmer, ranger, thief), but I never got around to finish levelling the other classes. I remember free boost to level 20, but not free + levels items? Where are these from?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Pop your instant level 20 boost then get a celebration booster (birthday booster) + exp booster + wvw exp boost and hit the Edge of the Mists. Make sure you have plenty of bag space and then purchase a copper-fed-salvage-o-matic (account bound salvage kit) and salvage everything but rare & exotics. Sell the rares and exotics on the trading post.

You'll hit 80 in no time with a bunch of WvW levels, skill points and a bit of cash.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I remember free boost to level 20, but not free + levels items? Where are these from?
You also get a bag of +level items once a week (if you log every day). That's about +10 levels per month, even if you "play" 30s per day (it's on day 6 of the week in your login calendar).

Itzena_sl

shitlord
for WvW absolutely. PvE, nope.
To clarify this a little: Necros are absolutely fine for soloing, event trains, boss trains, etc. Min-maxers and dumb pugs just won't want you for dungeons because that's what they heard. Find a decent guild and you'll be able to run dungeons to your heart's content.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, you can get "Tomes of Knowledge" which grant one level. They pop out of black lion chests fairly often, and you can get them via the new daily rewards system, or buy them with laurels (I think). That copper-fed-salvage-matic is just about the best thing added to the game, love it. Selling Wool, Linen and Silk can make you good money, same with iron. Necro is alright, but I do think it needs some love. I am hoping the Greatsword spec it gets in HoT will be awesome.