Gun control

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
Handgun rounds in general are poor stoppers (minus the various magnum types, but most platforms for them are too large for SD roles). A .38 is on the extreme low end of acceptable SD rounds. See the FBI in the 86 Miami shoot out. And honestly, more effective stopping power is better for everyone. Less rounds down range means less chances for a stray round.

I read a really great paper by a trauma surgeon on wound characteristics and one shot stops of various calibers, I will try to find a link for it.
Sounds like a good read. If you do find the link, I'd like to read it. Seriously.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Handgun rounds in general are poor stoppers (minus the various magnum types, but most platforms for them are too large for SD roles). A .38 is on the extreme low end of acceptable SD rounds. See the FBI in the 86 Miami shoot out. And honestly, more effective stopping power is better for everyone. Less rounds down range means less chances for a stray round.

I read a really great paper by a trauma surgeon on wound characteristics and one shot stops of various calibers, I will try to find a link for it.
Shot placement > caliber, always and forever. Best self defense round is one that you can comfortably and accurately shoot the most.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Ive never felt a burning need to get something chambered in it since I got a .45 and a .44 magnum. I think I'll end up getting a .357 first.

At full potential, the 10mm Auto produces energy slightly higher than an average .357 Magnum load and below standard .41 Magnum rounds. The cartridge is considered to be high-velocity, giving it a less-curved flight path (also termed "flat-shooting") relative to other handgun cartridges. In its lighter loadings, the 10mm Auto is an exact duplicate of the .40 S&W cartridge. More powerful loadings can equal or exceed the performance of the .357 Magnum, and retain more kinetic energy at 100 yards than the .45 ACP has at the muzzle.[13]

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
meh, i retract this post
smile.png

The Foler_sl

shitlord
Bros I need to buy me some military assault weapons like an ar-15 22lr with collapsible stock. Wanna SBR and supress that bad boy. I know this sort of thing could be outlawed in the near future due to its extreme lethalness. Any bros know where I can buy one?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The point of the example flew over your head, apparently. Citizens never, and will never, had access to nuclear material. The biggest argument I've heard about gun control is that the bad guys have them, so we should too (or some variant there of). Hoohoo, extreme examples in a silly debate.
Its funny cause the point of your own example seems to have flown over your head. You were talking about criminals, democrats with guns kicking in your door to take your stuff, willing to do you harm. (and I don't mean democrats in the political party sense, just that you know 95+% of violent thugs either vote democrat or would if they could). Those people don't have nukes either. So when you jumped it up to russia and discussion of nukes, you were obviously using an analogy for the bad guys and the proper analogy for the good guys in that case is the US as a whole, not the individual citizens.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
biggrin.png

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - An overnight home invasion in Penn Hills ran amok when the attempted robbers ended up shooting themselves.

It happened after midnight Saturday in the 8600-block of Westwood Road.

Police say two men tried to force their way into a home when shots were fired.

It's unclear if the intruders or the homeowners first opened fire, but the two attempted robbers were possibly hit by friendly fire according to our news partners at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Three people were injured in the shooting and taken to the hospital, two of which are in serious condition.

The two suspects will likely recover from their injuries. One person inside the home was hit by a fragment, according to the newspaper.

A dozen people were inside the house at the time, but the newspaper reports that none of them were hit.

The Post-Gazette also reports that one of the attempted robbers may have shot himself in the leg while reloading and that he may have shot hit partner in the face, as well.

Police say one of the victims was found at a home on Frankstown Road.

From the home invasion, police recovered a number of weapons, including an AK-47.
I feel like there is some kind of moral lesson in here but...

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
biggrin.png

I feel like there is some kind of moral lesson in here but...
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - An overnight home invasion in Penn Hills ran amok when the attempted robbers ended up shooting themselves.

It happened after midnight Saturday in the 8600-block of Westwood Road.

Police say two men tried to force their way into a home when shots were fired.

It's unclear if the intruders or the homeowners first opened fire, but the two attempted robbers were possibly hit by friendly fire according to our news partners at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Three people were injured in the shooting and taken to the hospital, two of which are in serious condition.

The two suspects will likely recover from their injuries. One person inside the home was hit by a fragment, according to the newspaper.

A dozen people were inside the house at the time, but the newspaper reports that none of them were hit.

The Post-Gazette also reports that one of the attempted robbers may have shot himself in the leg while reloading and that he may have shot hit partner in the face, as well.

Police say one of the victims was found at a home on Frankstown Road.

From the home invasion, police recovered a number of weapons, including an AK-47.

he may have shot hit partner in the face

hit

a fail within a fail, it's like the literary technique in Conrad's Heart of Darkness, except in bad journalism

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As a counter to the Aliens guy image...
Well to be fair Bush wasn't running around the world helping/assissting the muslim brotherhood and Al'Quaeda linked organizations take over nations (Libya, Egypt...), quite the opposite in fact.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/26...-gun-training/

A sheriff who released a radio ad urging Milwaukee-area residents to learn to handle firearms so they can defend themselves while waiting for police said Friday that law enforcement cutbacks have changed the way police can respond to crime.

In the 30-second commercial, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. says personal safety is no longer a spectator sport.

"I need you in the game," he says.

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," he adds. "You can beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back. ... Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there."
The Black Prince's gun control gambit is going fucking no where.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
That comic in a nutshell:

Patriot Act, FUCK YEAH 'MERICA!
Gun Control, FUCK THAT American Inventor MOSLIM

That said, I'll give everyone here the benefit of the doubt and assume that none of you crying about gun control being a slippery slope that could lead to the destruction of our liberty were also supporters of the Patriot Act. Because unlike all of you I don't automatically assume that you are all morons just because we disagree about something.

In fact, it could be argued that the Patriot Act is a reason to oppose gun control. It would be a more sane argument than most.

However, the initial stereotype I presented does in fact exist. And those people are fucking frightening.