Gun control

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
Every modern conflict since WW1 has proven that with all available technology in the world you don't win wars withoutBoots on Ground.

Drones, Apaches, B2s, Abrams, Bradleys, Strykers, etc. Are all well and great and can stop, scatter, or disperse a mob with little effort if need be -- but they don't stop wars, rebellions, or even a coup d'?tat. Grunts and diplomats do -- both are very susceptible to small arms fire.

So you're right - thinking that AR-15/10 guage sportsman from Wally World won't stop the tank from treading over your car or barricading your fuel/food source. It will, however, give you the means to circumvent and find other available means - even if that does mean fighting federal forces directly.

Military studies have shown that aerial bombings and drone strikes harden resolve and unify populations to fight, and do nothing but hinder means for production/livelihood (if targeted).

You need to remember that "The American Spirit" (or human spirit, really), is a real deal and not just a part of popular fantasy games. Having a personal weapon or quick access to is a major enhancing factor. So when that "boulder" rolled down hill through Iraq it did so very successfully over a group with little personal involvement in Hussein's fall, but when the perceived threat was against existence and culture...that boulder stopped rolling immediately (and arguably was forced into a different route entirely).

So please, stop waiving the 2nd off as antiquated in this regard. While I don't tout the Constitution or the Bill of Rights as sacred, the founding fathers did have a pretty solid understanding of human existence and the concepts of "power" that are still very much applicable to today.
Reasonable, well thought out response. Good post and I get your point.

Fortunately few rational voices are calling for repealing the 2nd Amendment and whatever is legislated, Americans will still have lots of firearms.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar...uUAjU2A.mailto

This article is a great read for anyone in this thread that interested in the history of gun control in america. Its a bit long but a good read none the less.

First page tell about how modern gun control was actually started by conservative republicans due to the Black Panthers and other urban groups arming themselves. Second page talks about giving blacks gun rights after the civil war. Third pages talk about how the NRA changed from an organization that basically trained people how to shoot better and actually was for some gun control laws into what it is today. Check it out.

Fuse

This was interesting:

"Republicans in California eagerly supported increased gun control. Governor Reagan told reporters that afternoon that he saw "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons." He called guns a "ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will." In a later press conference, Reagan said he didn't "know of any sportsman who leaves his home with a gun to go out into the field to hunt or for target shooting who carries that gun loaded." The Mulford Act, he said, "would work no hardship on the honest citizen." "

We have been over this before, but of course after a week of media distortions we are back at the start of the discussion.

It wasn't the gun's that caused the problem. It was the people who owned the guns that caused this mess. Banning guns indiscriminately isn't the answer and won't stop the problem which is crazy people.

There need to be better laws on how to responsibly own guns (ie lock that shit up in a safe if you aren't carrying it on your person) and better mental health checks. Maybe some sort of yearly mental health evaluation.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Or Reagan was a politician and did what politicians do(say whatever they need to get/stay elected).

And thats a terrible article. Want to lower gun crime? End the war on drugs and promote firearms education, that would be the nail in the coffin for gun related crimes(outside crazies like Lanza going off, but you can never stop that short of going full on minority report).

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
End the war on drugs
I honestly believe this one is happening, and that by the time most of us are in our ripe old age the war on drug will be looked back on as some archaic barbarity. Or maybe I just want to spend my retirement puffing a big opium pipe on the porch. Either way, this is probably the first and most vital step to ending a lot of killings, not just in the US. 50 000 have died in Mexico since 2006 courtesy of the drug war. If that'd been 50 000 white suburban Americans, it would already be over, but because they're poor and brown, apparently they can go get fucked. Same with all the black/latino kids who get shot up on corners in the states over bullshit.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Apparently the NRA is creating a national program to offer all school an armed force of men to stand guard.

Just what I want, send my kids to a school that is like a prison.

Yutnopash_sl

shitlord
So this just happened.

rrr_img_4671.jpg

rrr_img_4671.jpg

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
If he's going to start blaming video games, perhaps he should use more recent examples instead of those used in arguments 20 years ago, like Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
So basically gun people now think we should sacrifice the 1st amendment to the 2nd amendment?

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Apparently the NRA is creating a national program to offer all school an armed force of men to stand guard.

Just what I want, send my kids to a school that is like a prison.
Apparently Fox News cut away from the press briefing halfway through and Drudge has nothing on the front page. The NRA has just become expendable.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Wait, really? A week to come up with a statement and they couldn't even refference a movie or game that came out in the past 5 years?

Then again "The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun", clearly they are still in the 50's, I'm suprised they know what video games are.

(ie lock that shit up in a safe if you aren't carrying it on your person)
Bro, I support the idea of restricting access to people who have proper training and respect for firearms, but I've seen people say guns should be locked in safes twice now and I just don't get it. I don't have children, nor do I intend to have children. I see no need to keep my pistols in a safe for the protection of others. I keep a number of rifles and shotguns in a safe, and if I have family or friends stop by with their children in tow, then I will put my handguns in a safe, but they are out and accessible otherwise. Am I an irresponsible gun owner because I don't keep my shit locked up?

I don't really think magazine capacity restrictions will change much. As others have said, it's more about preparation than it is how many rounds fit in the magazine currently in the weapon. It takes a couple of seconds to drop a mag and slide another one in. At that point there's not much difference between carrying 10-round and 17-round magazines. This whole thing wouldn't have been much different if that kid had a revolver and a bunch of speed loaders. With proper training and speed loaders, a revolver can be reloaded almost as quickly and has the benefit of being less prone to malfunction.