Gun control

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You are right, it is generalizations on both sides. And my social circles are not representative of the whole. But saying this as someone who has spend thousands of hours shooting with and training officers, I am amazed by thier lack of skill and training.

Our auxiliary police chief shot himself in the leg holstering his side arm a few years ago.
That is pretty hilarious. OK, any off duty cop but that guy.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I believe a "mass shooting event" is quantified as such when it appears the perpetrator has the intent of shooting as many people as possible and the targets are mostly random. I do not have a text-book definition for you though.
I just ask because you posted the numbers. When I see those numbers the first thing that jumps out at me is that question.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm going to agree with Thorne on this. As someone who spends a LOT of time a various gun ranges in the DFW, Houston, Austin, and Shreveport areas, you see way more cops with poor firearms training than you would expect. It's actually pretty freaking scary now that I think about a lot of the LEOs I've seen at ranges.

And like 100% no doubt, I'd rather have a guy that shoots IDPA come to my defense in an active shooter situation rather than 99% of LEOs.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I believe a "mass shooting event" is quantified as such when it appears the perpetrator has the intent of shooting as many people as possible and the targets are mostly random. I do not have a text-book definition for you though.
I talked to cops in Chicago and they wont even consider anything a mass shooting until there are bodies in double digits, they see several people shot per scene all the time.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I just ask because you posted the numbers. When I see those numbers the first thing that jumps out at me is that question.
The source is from that "Opinion on Gun Control" essay that has been posted several times now. The author list his credentials in detail to start off the piece but doesn't specifically cite the source of those numbers, but does seem to show he is well studied in these matters. However in the end he is just some guy talking on the internet so I understand if you aren't willing to accept his numbers.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I'm going to agree with Thorne on this. As someone who spends a LOT of time a various gun ranges in the DFW, Houston, Austin, and Shreveport areas, you see way more cops with poor firearms training than you would expect. It's actually pretty freaking scary now that I think about a lot of the LEOs I've seen at ranges.

And like 100% no doubt, I'd rather have a guy that shoots IDPA come to my defense in an active shooter situation rather than 99% of LEOs.
There are a few gems, but there are also a lot of crappy DPD officers.

One point in their favor is that the PD seems to prefer sig 226's
biggrin.png
But that might just be Dallas being fickle with their spending.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
That is pretty hilarious. OK, any off duty cop but that guy.
Few years ago in my rinky dink town a police officer accidentally discharged his fire arm while playing with it in the police station.

Renault

N00b
Local outdoor range near where I live put in a bunch of concrete benches for long range shooting and when the cops came out to do some pistol qualification shooting one of them had a negligent discharge into a bench that hit someone. Rather then admitting she was a moron and taking her gun away they forced the range to get rid of all the concrete benches because they were deemed too dangerous.

Oh and the same range also had a different incident where a cop accidentally fired a pistol into the air that came down and hit a car passing on a nearby road.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Fools, all you must do to show cops are not magically attuned to firearms and know them better than non cops is show this video;

Caliane

Interesting...

Basically what a number of us have been pointing out.
Raw overall stats don't mean much. you can't compare US to Australia or anything. you need to consider population density, poverty levels, and etc.

I mean, if you cut Detroit, DC, LA, Louisiana, and Alabama out of the US average, the US average for crime would be very low, all around.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

It isn't just about firearms training. Even identifying the shooter(s) is a skill that the layman won't be familiar with. Much less being shot at, maintaining control while avoiding civilian casualties, etc. I don't doubt there are a lot of shitbag cops, but this whole idea that civilians are just as qualified to stave off shooters as law enforcement or military is fantasy.

Caliane

It isn't just about firearms training. Even identifying the shooter(s) is a skill that the layman won't be familiar with. Much less being shot at, maintaining control while avoiding civilian casualties, etc. I don't doubt there are a lot of shitbag cops, but this whole idea that civilians are just as qualified to stave off shooters as law enforcement or military is fantasy.
yeah, that Dark Knight theater shooting, or civilians with guns on planes, are two examples of, would have just made things worse.

We don't really want MORE civilians armed. But at the same time, taking away the right of those that are, is a mistake imho. It is simply addressing a problem that doesn't need fixing. Lawfully armed civilians is not the problem, and never was.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think you overestimate the amount of firearms training your average LEO goes through.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think you overestimate the amount of firearms training your average LEO goes through.
Like I said, it is beyond just firearms training. I have no idea what specific training they go through, I have an idea of what I imagine it would be, but I don't really know. Between that and their real world experience, I can't imagine a situation in which it is less than the average civilian gun owner.

khalid

Unelected Mod
yeah, that Dark Knight theater shooting
I constantly see people say that the Dark Knight shooting was an example of where CC holders wouldn't have helped, but I just don't get it. It isn't as if the guy killed 12 people and injured 50+ others instantly. It took him some time and he switched guns several times. All of which could have given time for a shooter to return fire. If that had happened, if nothing else it could have given more people time to escape as Holmes ducked into cover, even if he wasn't killed.

We can't know what would have happened, but if I was in that theatre, I sure would have been praying that I or someone else was armed, rather than just being abunch of target dummies.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They use it as an example because it is a pretty good example. Between the movie and smoke and general chaos, it would have been difficult to even determine what was happening. It is easy to monday morning quarterback this shit, but in the middle of the event it is going to appear a lot different.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
As soon as one person engages the shooter, the entire rampage effectively is over. No shots even need to be fired. The shooter's attention is immediately focused on the challenger and at that point they usually go out in a blaze of glory or commit suicide realizing that the targets have run out and this is the end. If neither does happen, then their attention is 100% focused on the challenger anyways allowing innocent people more time to get out and LEOs get into position.