Guns Akimbo (2020)

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
1.00 star(s) Rating: 1.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Guns Akimbo (2020)

Genre: Comedy, Action

Director: Jason Lei Howden

Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Samara Weaving, Natasha Liu Bordizzo, Ned Dennehy, Mark Rowley, Hanako Footman

Release: 2020-02-28

Runtime: 95

Plot: An ordinary guy suddenly finds himself forced to fight a gladiator-like battle for a dark website that streams the violence for viewers. Miles must fight heavily armed Nix and also save his kidnapped ex-girlfriend.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Holy hell this movie is going to suck on so many levels I cannot even imagine it. The first mistake was having Radcliffe lose his accent. Then it goes downhill from there.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Reddit spoilers from a user named AlisonBriesTits:

"I saw this at TIFF and..."
I saw this at TIFF and it's beyond terrible. It's like a bad imitation of the humour of Deadpool and the manic action of Crank without seeming to realize what actually makes those movies fun. Also some of the most poorly edited actions scenes I've ever watched. Overall it's just incredibly cringeworthy and headache inducing. Radcliffe is fully committed though which is nice, and his scenes with Rhys Darby are a real bright spot.

Edit: I think another key issue with it is that it's just trying too hard to be outlandish instead of feeling organically crazy, if that makes sense.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I like Radcliffe, but that trailer had some really wonky looking bits that made it look far less interesting than the concept should.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
HOW DO YOU RELOAD?

this was my exact first response when he said he had guns bolted to his hands. how do you reload? how do clear a misfire? how do you even pull the trigger with your hands as swollen as they would be after something like that.

i want to be interested because i love samara weaving but... i just can't. i just... can't.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
this was my exact first response when he said he had guns bolted to his hands. how do you reload? how do clear a misfire? how do you even pull the trigger with your hands as swollen as they would be after something like that.

i want to be interested because i love samara weaving but... i just can't. i just... can't.
Pretty much everything you just said, including the Samara Weaving love. She's just fucking awesome, but it probably isn't enough to save this movie.

• 1Solidarity

Needless

Toe Sucker
this was such a fucking stupid movie but its so fucking gold
hahahahahaha

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
They had a showing at Alamo here for it but cancelled it because of some Twitter bullshit with the director or something. Jimmies rustled.

Edit: they are showing it at this other theater that I went to a couple weeks ago for another midnight grindhouse film.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
This movie was stupid fun. It's like a better version of that Gamer movie with Gerard Butler.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I'll 3rd that opinion. It was by no means "good," but it did not at any point take itself seriously or try to swerve out of the lane. It was absurd, over the top, nonsensical, and kind of knew it. That is tolerable. Going back and re-watching the trailer, it really doesn't do a good job of presenting what the movie is. Which again, it isn't a good movie, but it isn't exactly what they've shown.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i watched it against my better judgment (based on the trailer) but people here seemed to like it so i figured why not.

i actually WOULD argue that it's a good movie. i mean we're not talking "good" the same way you might talk about a movie like Logan, or Fury Road, or whatever... but it's a movie that knows exactly what it is and accomplishes what it set out to do. "good" is such a subjective term though... like the acting was "good" in that it was goofy, absurd, over the top and nonsensical which is exactly what the tone of the movie was so it matched pretty perfectly.

samara weaving's character is exactly what harley quinn should have been.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database