Gwent - Standalone Game

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Figured I'd start a thread now that they're beginning closed beta. Goes to show the quality of their fucking mini-game that it had enough basic mechanics to be considered good enough for its own game. Likely a TON of changes to the Witcher 3 version since that was technically a Pay 2 Win mini-game. Once you collected the hero cards you could pretty much win games. For those who didn't play Witcher 3. Gwent was the mini-game collectible card game within it. Now its getting its own game.

Play Gwent

I also love their picture there full of Cosplaying/LARPing idiots haha!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Man I'd only play that if "winGwint(#)" still works. l did not enjoy that game at all...because I sucked so bad at it.
frown.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I signed up for the beta. I loved Gwent, but I think a huge part of it was the Atmosphere of the game as it's loading. I spent 3 years playing poker 4-6 nights a week, and that little transition to the table in W3 gave me nostalgia.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really hated the game in W3. It did not feel like there was much skill involved and it just wasn't fun for me. I hope they make some drastic changes to the rules compared to what we saw in W3.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it was essentially pay2win, once you had enough spies and healers, you had almost 100% winrate, hopefully they make it more interesting

spronk

FPS noob
stress this weekend for PC only, sign up here
Kill the Servers!

you will need a GoG account, and then run the GOG launcher afterwards. Everyone who signs up for PC (PC only!) right now is getting access to the stress test tomorrow, although they will run out of keys soon I'm sure

2.2 gig install

closed beta oct 25

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got into the Closed Beta somehow.

Been playing it this week. Good times. It has more complex mechanics than Hearthstone (while I still enjoy Hearthstone) this game was definitely designed to cater to people who like more serious mechanics/interesting interactions. Ties are possible and it's designed around the "factions" which have their unique playstyles and Synergy. CD Project Red has outdone themselves again. I wonder if they ever thought Gwent would be so popular when they made Witcher 3?

Monsters - Zerg mechanics
Northern Realms - Buffboys
Soia'Tel - haven't played
Nilfgaard - not implemented
Skellige - Resurrection stuff.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh and games are also way shorter than Hearthstone. Big bonus.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I got an invite yesterday. It's not bad, but the fact that you can't topdeck your way to victory is going to turn off a lot of people, most games are down to the last few cards.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK, the structure of the game forces you to think ahead moreso than say, Hearthstone. It certainly won't draw as many to the game as HS does as its significantly more complicated and requires a lot more planning.

But the clutch, 'gotcha bitch!' moments are very rewarding. Baiting is much more effective and the mind games are better.

spronk

FPS noob
did they fix the windowed stuff yet, when i last played the beta you had to play windowed or full screen, no borderless window option. unacceptable!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Windowed mode is fixed. It's Free to Play with packs and crafting like similar games. The card pack system is better because you get 4 whatever cards then the guaranteed rare is something you pick out of 4. Similar to the discover mechanic in Hearthstone. I like this a lot because the rare faction cards are the ones you want most of the time.

Not sure when its released ZyyzYzzy ZyyzYzzy . It has a ton more mechanics than the Witcher 3 version.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Loved Gwent in W3. Didn't like it at first but I stubbornly kept playing til I got the hang of it. Then became addicted. Got into closed beta for this, hope to put in some time this weekend.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Man they did a hell of a job. This has me more hooked than Hearthstone ever did. The art, animations, sounds, deck building, everything. Awesome that they nailed this.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got into the beta and installed it over the weekend. There is no queue for newbie only starter decks or players so I was playing a vanilla deck against people who had some crazy combos. I put in $20 to buy packs and was able to build a deck that at least has a chance. It seems like you have to play and win at least 3 games against random people each day to get a pack, and there are diminishing returns after that. This seems more generous than Hearthstone rewards with the exception that you cannot bank a quest like you can in HS.

How do you add friends? Through GoG?

If you liked the mini-game in Witcher 3 then I think you will like this.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have been playing this every day, dumped $70 into it to buy packs. It isn't cheap, that let me craft two competitive decks and I only own one legendary at this point. It is the antithesis of HS. In this game there is very little randomness, thought matters, there is a huge skill gap and you have a ton of opportunity to outplay your opponent.

• 1Like