Gwent - Standalone Game

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Put some more effort into this game, so now I'm hooked :rolleyes: Bought 70 kegs to support the devs and to fill out a lot of my bronzes. I've been playing a NR deck with sergeants, commandos, and infantry. Been fun playing a game with much less RNG and aggro.

Any recommendations for newb friendly decks?

Just realized I've replace Diablo 3 and Hearthstone with PoE and Gwent...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You get 100 ore, which is enough for one keg, after winning 6 rounds. And you get another 100 ore at 24 additional rounds. You can do this once per day.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think monsters frost deck is pretty newb friendly and should be able to win you a lot. Relies heavily on commons as well.

Something like this:

3x wild hunt hound
3x biting frost
3x wild hunt rider
3x wild hunt warrior
fill out with celano harpies, the weather clearing gryphon, whatever golds and silvers you have to round things out. -triss is a great starter gold

I usually use my leader, have him grab a free wild hunt navigator, and have that guy grab a duplicate of whatever you have on board.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The "deck thinning" aspect of this game is probably what I like the most. It gives double impact to mulligan correctly because some cards you want in your hand and some must be in your deck. Very satisfying to consistently play most of your deck by the end of the game.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I just do not have the ability to deck build is this game. It kinda bothers me that while I can read the patch notes and understand the changes to cards, I don't understand how that will affect the meta overall.

That said, anyone have recommendations as to what new decks to play? I'm guessing it will be NR, nilf, or scoi.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just came back to this after a month or two and damn, seems like everyone is running monsters now.

Consume decks are strong and hard to disrupt without good weather cards or taking out their key cards. Wild hunt on the other hand fucks you over with weather.

I play nilfgard and I'm still trying to get some of those strategies right, you can do reveal-buffs, spy-buffs or some other strat but sometimes it feels like I need a fair bit of luck to get the cards I need.

There's a Gwent Analytics YouTube channel that is pretty good and keeps track of which cards are currently winning the meta. One easy way to deck build is to mill all the cards for 1 or 2 factions you know you don't wanna play and use the scraps to make cards for the others. This might bother completionists but for everyone who doesn't wanna buy kegs it's the best approach.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have recommendations for streamers or news sites?
Still looking for recommendations for streamers. Mostly highlights, I don't want to watch their actual streams. I used to watch Nox, but he turned his stream in to some faggot character and went back to hearthstone.

Kinda feel like this game will mire in obscurity without more streamer support.

• 1Worf

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Still looking for recommendations for streamers. Mostly highlights, I don't want to watch their actual streams. I used to watch Nox, but he turned his stream in to some faggot character and went back to hearthstone.

Kinda feel like this game will mire in obscurity without more streamer support.

Swim is the best of the Gwent streamers. rsMerchant is ok but he's not as good at the game.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know if this game is getting alternate play modes and a mobile client? Seems kinda crucial at this point as I have very little desire to play the laddering game.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think there is supposed to be an RPG style singleplayer mode once the game gets out of beta into full release. But I can't really remember where I read that or what that actually means.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Just downloaded this yesterday after researching more strategic alternatives to hearthstone. Grinded thru the challenges and enjoying it so far. Seems i naturally gravitated towards the better 'noob' deck in the monster frost deck.
The ability to tutor up the hazard with a unit, and then the insane value you get after its in play is just so strong.

Anyone else playing this regularly?

• 1Like

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
I been playing it little over a month now, really digging it. I haven't played Witcher 3 so I didn't know much about it going in, but was looking for a card game(and HS has never appealed to me). The game is quite generous, I've got a couple decent decks and have only spent $5 on the starter pack. They've got 100 ish new cards coming out sometime this month, and a new game mode(prolly draft/arena) early next year.

Healthfood

Golden Squire
I play it a lot less frequently now but still pop in every so often for dailies. It’s a really unique and refreshing game but it really uses a lot of brain power for each match, so I kind of need to be in the mood for it.

It’s F2P friendly for sure, I’ve been able to sample most of the available archetypes with the free stuff I’ve gotten since closed beta. I’m really looking forward to the single player campaign, their event puzzle missions have been amazing.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I'm loving it, but I'm still in the information overload of discovering a new game right now. Looking at top decklists and trying to figure out why certain cards are in there. i.e. if they are powerful but i don't understand why, or a tech card against some other big deck.

Like, I just realized I could be using Dagon for my leader to get another frost effect. Deck always wins if I manage to get a couple of their units under a frost, but sputters out if they clear them. So many of my units need a frost hazard out to be any good. The guy who tutors up a unit is good, but I generally don't have an issue finding a hazard, it's having enough.

Also trying to make a Northern Realms deck. Figure I'll just focus on those two factions till I build up some more cards. The play styles seem easy enough to not screw up.

My favorite part of the game, though, is that when I lose I KNOW I could have done things different. In ranked, I'm playing other new players so card pool isn't as much of a factor. But, whether it's sandbagging the right round, over committing, not realizing my opponent's gameplan, etc.. It makes it easier to improve, unlike HS where you might have made the 'correct' play, but got screwed by luck and don't even realize.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Looking at top decklists and trying to figure out why certain cards are in there. i.e. if they are powerful but i don't understand why, or a tech card against some other big deck.

This is a sure sign of a good card game.

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Don't know much about Monsters, but I have managed to slowly get rank 18 mostly playing for tier 1 daily reward using NR. It seems like it's a pretty good faction right now, they have a few variations that work well, I've been running the 40 card Foltest last couple weeks.

I think my single favorite element is the round system, there's an added degree of skill in just knowing when to keep pushing or pass.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I think my single favorite element is the round system, there's an added degree of skill in just knowing when to keep pushing or pass.
Yep! Figuring out if opponent is trying to go hard in round 1 and getting them to commit one extra card or set things up for next two rounds. Like, against skellige they tend to just set some things up for later rounds from what ive seen. If i can take round one, then i know round 2 is gonna be all in if i want it to be. If it looks like i cant take rd 2, as long as i hold back a high strength unit as my last card i can then win the whole match.