H1Z1 (Not actually an MMO) - Server: Antidote (info in first post)

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Seems like games like this need some kind of depravity/guilt system to discourage random slaughter of the living.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Sure, it's nice to have a chance. But it still gets annoying when 4 dudes rolling around in multiple vehicles just run new spawns down without even acknowledging their existence except to kill them and loot their corpses.

As annoying as it is, I can appreciate guys who befriend me for 30 minutes only to shoot me in the head when I finally take my eye off of them. But just being silently mowed down by people doesn't give you any sort of experience to appreciate or reflect on.
I never had problems with people killing me over and over as a newbie spawn. If your on the road running, all bets are off thugh, you dont know who has a damned shotgun ready to blast on you as you cant see it on their bodies yet. Its very easy to avoid peopl.e in cars, you hear them coming from a good ways away to where you can hide.

I also, never just run on the road, i always run on the side in the grass so i can high tail it if i see a bunch of dudes coming. ONly problems i run into that can get frustrating is when i have a helmet or a backpack on. I can hear them say, lets get him, he has a backpack! lol Then they will talk shit, im coming for your backpack son!~ haha

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Yes and no. Groups of 3-4 I think are ideal. A lot of skrimishes happen with fairly even numbers. My friends and I drove a cop car around the entire map asking if people needed the police's assistance. We'd help them, unless they ran or attacked us. Then they got lead poisoning.

Once they fix weapon spawns with containers, camping won't be as big an issue. People camping a spot? Get a hunting rifle. Wait. Kill them. Easy peasy. Our sniper was almost taken out by a fucking makeshift bow earlier and I actually got killed by a bow shot while pistoling. People can make their shit bow, kill zombies for random guns/ammmos, and then they're ready to rock. Only thing different than you and a suped up player is the shit he's carrying that doesn't matter in combat, and maybe his motorcycle helmet. Otherwise it's pretty much skill v skill.

Also we play on the hardcorest of server types, so fuck y'all QQing. We even have recipe wipe which serves absolutely no purpose but being incredibly stupid and annoying.
I get it, I really do. And when you roll with 3-4 people doing that I'm sure it's fun. But if I want straight shooting 100% KoS PvP, it's easier for me to load up PS2. When I die there, I don't spawn randomly in the world, have to re-learn how to craft a bow then tear up my pants and find wood to craft it, then scrounge for hours looking for guns,ammo, maybe a helmet to prevent one shots. I just kill after getting back into the action quickly.

Oldbased

> Than U
Or a bigger map
This is really the solution to most of it and it is coming.
Every time we go to make a home for ourselves we get that neighbor who has the hot daughter but also a dog that barks all night.
Right now that neighbor is 50 people or so who don't realize we live 40 seconds jogging distance away.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Well, I became a dick.

Saw 2 guys running, either 1 was chasing the other, or they were together, but I got a PERFECT running headshot on the guy chasing/following the other dude. I go loot his body, and tell the other guy "yo bro, take whatever is l eft I don't need it". I go back up to the balcony I was on, and see him standing there looting...boom, another headshot. I got some arrows and food out of it.

Also an idea I had (became I am god gaymer)...firing a shot should attract a horde of zombies. That way you need to think if its worth using a gun

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
This type of game has been made and failed so many times now. They need real working faction systems and probably blue areas to have a prayer. I am still kinda surprised they made a ffa pvp game considering the horrific track record.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
tldr; players will not risk grouping with strangers when the risks heavily outweigh the rewards.

I understand the people frustrated about KOS-dynamics, but I can't help but think this isn't the genre for you. Part of the draw and allure of these games is that people's handsAREN'Ttied and this is exactly what I would expect to see in any post-apocalyptic scenario with minimal environmental risks. At this point, the environment isn't threatening enough to compel people to trust strangers, which inevitably leads into KOS being the proper way (as defined by game theory) to play the game.

The risk vs reward simply isn't there yet, but I think the devs have said that they intend to change this.

On a side note, part of me hears people frustrated about the anti-social behavior of strangers in an online game (who would have seen that coming?!) and wonders: Are you just mad because you keep getting PVPed before you're ready? What are YOU going to do when you've got some sweet loot? Go find fresh-spawned strangers and benevolently share your loots with them?

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pretty much what Eidal said. Take the time to learn how to fight. Just /respawn everytime you win or lose and find people to fight. Call them out and say its time to fistfight. If you're not winning 85% of your 1v1 fistfights and 50% of your 1v1v1, then you're always going to be the food for the others. If you think thats impossible, then I dont know what to tell you. Hope your aim is better then your combat judgement and pray for headshots with a bow.

You can always just follow the game and see what state its in and try it when x or y happen. But your combat skills will be rusty when you do, and you will be complaining about something then as well.

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
The realization that you need to be careful, you need to stake out a place and at the slightest sign of danger, you need to gtfo hasn't hit people yet.

If you want to go far in these games, you need to be invisible. Seeing a dude off in the distance isn't time to say hi and ask to group, it's turn the fuck around and run.

Truthfully, living in the woods is quite easy. Plenty of arrows, wildlife, wood and water.

The only necessary material you need is metal, so plan accordingly.

Make a shack, make a container and if you go into civilization, be naked get what you need and get back.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
There is a small camp outside of Ranchito Taquito that I frequent. Has a river by it, plenty of deer always to be seen, zombies to kill, and several fire pits. And its right by some woods so you can cook your shit, and go into the woods and wait out the day/night

Xevy

Log Wizard
My crew of 4 was roaming around and a vehicle drove by and we said "we'll trade guns for your car!" They stopped far down the road, and started sniping. They were bad. We killed 2/4 and the others drove off and we got a shit ton of AR rounds and hunting rounds. That was a pretty good situation where it wasn't us locking down a position. Most of the time it's us roaming pleasant valley (our server is low pop currently) back and forth and sometimes it's campers vs. us, but we have about 95% success rate.

Like I said, I play on a balls-out hardcore server. So there is no complaining about KoS or camping on this server. That's how it's built.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I think what some people want is a server that's only hardcore when they're ready for it to be hardcore. None of this, hardcore ALL the time nonsense. Just... you know, hardcore after they find some gear and some helpful strangers to roll with.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think what some people want is a server that's only hardcore when othey're ready for it to be hardcore. None of this, hardcore ALL the time nonsense. Just... you know, hardcore after they find some gear and some helpful strangers to roll with.
Today players have become indoctrined to instanced PvP/battlegrounds. In this game they are approaching it as an RPG when it should be approached as a MMOFPS.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think what some people want is a server that's only hardcore when they're ready for it to be hardcore. None of this, hardcore ALL the time nonsense. Just... you know, hardcore after they find some gear and some helpful strangers to roll with.
Or people see it as a survival game, and don't really understand why very geared people systematically hunt down people with just a shirt on their back. They get nothing out of it except the enjoyment of griefing.

Which I'm fine with, personally. I just wish people would interact in some way. Being mindlessly and silently mowed down just isn't very engaging. But it's a sandbox, and that's their prerogative I suppose.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Or people see it as a survival game, and don't really understand why very geared people systematically hunt down people with just a shirt on their back. They get nothing out of it except the enjoyment of griefing.

Which I'm fine with, personally. I just wish people would interact in some way. Being mindlessly and silently mowed down just isn't very engaging. But it's a sandbox, and that's their prerogative I suppose.
Problem I see with h1z1's is there is no reputation. You can be a dick on one character then just create a new one with a new name and no one knows they are standing next to a griefer/doucebag. What was nice about Rust is you could find out xyz person is a doucbebag before ever meeting them(due people warning you about them via chat) due to reputation and then fuck with them and their base.

If you want to be a dick fine whatever, but there needs to be some form of possible repercussion/consequence for being one. Right not there isnt aside from running into a bigger dick.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you want to be a dick fine whatever, but there needs to be some form of possible repercussion/consequence for being one. Right not there isnt aside from running into a bigger dick.
Hah, on some of my characters that I play a bandit on, I've been hunted down or killed on sight by people because of my 'reputation'.

I agree though. I don't think they should regulate behavior whatsoever, but they could provide more tools to aid players in dealing with different 'social' situations or issues.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
simple solution as mentioned earlier is to have a 1 character per server limit. no "alts", no camping bottlenecks or loot spawns