Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

Sterling

El Presidente
Saw this today and it was a decent movie. I feel like it was a bit of a letdown after how much hype this thread seems to be giving it though. The movie is fine and it certainly has plenty of feels in it but people comparing it favorably to BoB and Blackhawk Down etc is something I just can't get behind at all.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Saw this today and it was a decent movie. I feel like it was a bit of a letdown after how much hype this thread seems to be giving it though. The movie is fine and it certainly has plenty of feels in it but people comparing it favorably to BoB and Blackhawk Down etc is something I just can't get behind at all.

People here werent comparing it to BoB or Private Ryan. It was a very very weak year for films so this one stood out above most others where the best Films being praised were Deadpool, Arrival, Jungle book and Hell and High Water. I would put it probably #5 for films of 2016

Last edited:

Sterling

El Presidente
People here werent comparing it to BoB or Private Ryan. It was a very very weak year for films so this one stood out above most others where the best Films being praised were Deadpool, Arrival, Jungle book and Hell and High Water
Except that a couple of people did exactly that. Also Hell or High Water was excellent.

Homsar

Except that a couple of people did exactly that. Also Hell or High Water was excellent.
It was mainly comparing the gore or thats how I took it. I havent seen many talk like it was up there with Saving Private Ryan

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
I stand by my comments, saw it in the cinema if that makes any difference.

For me it's up there because it reaches the same levels of intensity those other films hit, even if it doesn't stay at that peak for as long.

I think it's interesting that the pacing is different between each; SPR action is more evenly spread, BHD hardly lets up and this one takes a solid hour of character development before shit goes down.

And yet they are all great. I won't go as far to say it will be anyone's No.1 pick, but definitely Top 5 when people rattle off their favourite war movies in years to come.

On a scale of dogshit (Windtalkers) to holy grail (SPR), slightly less than perfect is still pretty fucking good.

iannis

Musty Nester
This was an excellent movie.

It's a little unfair to compare it to BoB. BoB was 12 hours long? At least. Been a while but i'm pretty sure it was at least 6 episodes. This was 2:30. You're not going to get the same depth.

Edit: Hmm, 10 hours. 10 1 hours, apparently. BoB is great too, though. Probably better than this was but they're not quite the same thing.

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've got a decent home theater setup. I invited some of the guys who I served with in the gulf war to come over and watch it. I haven't seen it. Is this decent enough for a blind watch with those guys or do I need to screen it first to be safe? I see people in IMDB tearing it to shreds and I don't want to waste these guys time...

Oldbased

> Than U
Guess I'll get this. I love most war movies and think they are very important in the long term reminders of things. Even pussified ones like Pearl Harbor. We were soldiers is up to this point one of my favorites and Mel Gibson was lead in that but not director. I still make a sandwich and sit down and watch old 50/60s war movies.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've got a decent home theater setup. I invited some of the guys who I served with in the gulf war to come over and watch it. I haven't seen it. Is this decent enough for a blind watch with those guys or do I need to screen it first to be safe? I see people in IMDB tearing it to shreds and I don't want to waste these guys time...

First act is buildup of his character, and his courtship of his wife. Second act he goes to basic and almost gets discharged for cowardice. Third act he ships out to the Pacific and it details his heroics. Epilogue is a short series of clips from the man himself talking. Very short, only like one minute. But it's important to see the man himself.

There is only one cringe action scene in the third act. He has to rescue his sergeant, he pulls him on a makeshift sled while the sarge is shooting behind them. It's probably the worst scene in the movie, tbh. It doesn't fit. That's a scene from an action movie. This isn't supposed to be an action movie.

But honestly I dunno. Some crazy bullshit like that might have actually happened. It's just that watching it, it's the one scene that glares out as..., "??? Nah."

Otherwise people should like it.

Oldbased

> Than U
First act is buildup of his character, and his courtship of his wife. Second act he goes to basic and almost gets discharged for cowardice. Third act he ships out to the Pacific and it details his heroics. Epilogue is a short series of clips from the man himself talking. Very short, only like one minute. But it's important to see the man himself.

There is only one cringe action scene in the third act. He has to rescue his sergeant, he pulls him on a makeshift sled while the sarge is shooting behind them. It's probably the worst scene in the movie, tbh. It doesn't fit. That's a scene from an action movie. This isn't supposed to be an action movie.

But honestly I dunno. Some crazy bullshit like that might have actually happened. It's just that watching it, it's the one scene that glares out as..., "??? Nah."

Otherwise people should like it.
I thought the same thing, but then in the extras I saw that sarge old and fat and tears running down his cheek talking about how despite the things he said, he saved his life. He didn't say how but all those years later he was still moved beyond belief about it. ( was several stories from people saved who did interviews I guess most were done in 90's/early 2000s )

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As I posted earlier, all the real footage from after the movie was from this documentary - The Conscientious Objector (2004) - IMDb

One of the guys in that documentary was my Grandfather. He never really talked about the war and had horrendous nightmares up until the day he died (5 years ago) but he did like to talk about how much of a hero Doss was.

I'm obviously a bit biased but I highly recommend that documentary. You can usually find it on Amazon for 5 or 10 bucks. They show it on History channel like once a year still.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Desmond just enlisted. Great movie so far. Thanks, FoH.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1692773733963.jpeg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Homsar

HR was great movie. BHD will always hit me and Jarhead for reasons