Hail the master race - Steam hits 7 million concurrent users

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
54k people playing Civ V. I mean it is a good game but what are theydoing? Haven't they played this enough in the past year?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
playing their first game still I imagine.
Pretty much this. It's pretty eye opening to look at the global achievement statistics for most Steam games. I'd wager that less than 20% of people who buy a game on Steam end up actually playing even halfway through it. FF7 for example, only 11% of people have completed the first part of the game, according to the achievement stats. Part 2 is 7.2%, end of game is 3.5%

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
People buy shit like that for nostalgia, then start playing it and realize it's a game from the mid 90s.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Considering how much dota2 has grown... That jump in users is mostly f2p players who will contribute nothing to Valve's profits
By playing dota 2 you create money for valve. Item Drops -> Sold on Market -> Valve makes money on every transaction. Even if those individuals never buy anything valve makes money.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People buy shit like that for nostalgia, then start playing it and realize it's a game from the mid 90s.
Yup, lol.

I'm in the group that never got very far in Civ5. I started it, realized it was like the last civ game I played and just uninstalled.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This is why Steam sales are so genius. You put a game up for 5 bucks. This may not be a game I was planning to buy anytime soon, but for five dollars I'll add it to my collection without even thinking about it. When you see digital console games "on sale" for $20+ bucks, then you start to hem and haw about it. It's not like Steam where you literally get it and forget it :p

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
38e.gif