Halloween 2018

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Photos of the staff itself in better lighting plus some close ups of the LEDs in use. The mounting is ghetto as hell and I plan on making something more permanent for it. I'll probably go a little crazier with it i.e there's some LED strips (APA102) that are better supported by this board that support faster animation and even HDR (cuts down on brightness while still producing very deep rich colors -- Longer duration as a result hopefully)

I'm assuming they'll give me lead poisoning or cancer just by looking at them but DHGate has some chinese APA102 strips for like 1/3 the cost of the Neopixel's i'm using so I might go cheap and see how that works.

Fire staff:

LED strips:

Battery Pack/Board (wrapped in electrical tape):

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

Still working on it.

F719DE75-BE42-411E-91B2-3FBFBA2B4EFD.jpeg

70B5A9B5-A321-4935-925F-E66D37AF392B.jpeg

0F979EB3-F18C-4480-8BCC-A4537C165A35.jpeg

• 3Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Quite a bit of 3d printing for this Halloween, not as much as I wanted as the printer was acting up for a few weeks until I figured out the small issue. Had to reprint a lot and had about 1 roll of failures. Wife's whole office is doing star trek and the older boy is gonna be link.
20181029_220912.jpg

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Brad2770

That stuff is awesome. I don’t want to show off my styrofoam and sandpaper anymore...

Why did you 3D print a remote to a TV?

• 10Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
So outside of the cost of the printer itself how much did that sword cost in materials? I've been eyeballing getting a 3D printer but the major hurdle is how much money am I going to dump into servicing and replacing filament as it depletes?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
That stuff is awesome. I don’t want to show off my styrofoam and sandpaper anymore...

Nah man my stuff is easy, find file print paint... Styrofoam rakes way more work and talent. And your stuff looks great.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
So outside of the cost of the printer itself how much did that sword cost in materials? I've been eyeballing getting a 3D printer but the major hurdle is how much money am I going to dump into servicing and replacing filament as it depletes?
The cost for the sword in plastic was probably 3 dollars maybe less, bigger cost in time, I think it was a 30 hour print. The filament I buy is $19 for a kg roll, if I hadn't had some issues I would say everything you see there is maybe 1 roll or less. Maintenance is not too expensive either, you can print replacement parts yourself, again it is time and failed prints that can cost, this time 2 screws worked their way out and it took 2 weeks to figure it out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>

Man, you're really doing an awesome job with all of your builds and your kids and their friends are going to have a blast on Halloween because of that. You're doing God's work sir, bunch of kids having a great Halloween makes for a really happy childhood and some amazing adults in the future

• 3Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
The cost for the sword in plastic was probably 3 dollars maybe less, bigger cost in time, I think it was a 30 hour print. The filament I buy is $19 for a kg roll, if I hadn't had some issues I would say everything you see there is maybe 1 roll or less. Maintenance is not too expensive either, you can print replacement parts yourself, again it is time and failed prints that can cost, this time 2 screws worked their way out and it took 2 weeks to figure it out.
Very cool, thanks for the info! I think i'm going to look at the monoprice ones closer to christmas.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Very cool, thanks for the info! I think i'm going to look at the monoprice ones closer to christmas.
I would look at the creality ones too, low maintenance, huge build plates and pretty darn cheap

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brad2770

Man, you're really doing an awesome job with all of your builds and your kids and their friends are going to have a blast on Halloween because of that. You're doing God's work sir, bunch of kids having a great Halloween makes for a really happy childhood and some amazing adults in the future

Had some issues with the paint reacting with the foam. Had to fill in some areas to make it smooth again. Everything will be done tomorrow. I’ll be posting up picks after the festivities.

• 2Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Just think of the fun ( or trouble ) people will make once 3D metal printing gets more affordable.

• 2Like

Brad2770

Teaser of the completed items. I’ll load the rest after all pics are taken.

4F994DE6-798D-433D-A808-B27F2106AC7E.jpeg

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I put out a bowl of mini skittles

(bus'd in) the blacks ravage it

I open the door when i see little white kids coming up (cctv), thats where i keep the real full sized candy.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
My friend and I as Cable and Deadpool
6816F5E3-002A-4977-A5C6-16A800AFC8B2.jpeg

Random family. This is brilliant

69D8F03D-D59C-476F-B570-52A56F8FECE9.jpeg

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Nothing too spectacular, but we walked around the city, got a couple of free candy bars and correctly got called Freddy about a dozen times and incorrectly called Edward once LoL

Full body:
y56yhh45wh.jpg

Stupid filter with a gf:
yjmtdyjstyj.jpg

No filter:
8ikeyj.jpg

Happy Halloween my dudes :p

• 12Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users